• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am not really sure that the shoes I got is made of shell cordovan.

mbtex

Reaction score

Those pairs are cordovan oxfords that I got from Gilt.com. On its description,

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ro-cordovan-oxfords+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=kr

it does not say anything that the pair was made of shell cordovan.

I was not sure whether "cordovan" in the title means the color of the shoes or the material of the shoes.

Anyway, I ordered the shoes and the shoes arrived.

It looks pretty much like authentic shell cordovan to my eyes.

I want to hear what you all think.

Any opinion on etro shoes? I did not know that they make shoes before I saw this...

P.S. There is a black mark on the shoes. Do you think it is removable?

Can I try saphir renomat on cordovan (if it is real cordovan) to remove this?

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no judgment on those shoes but Gilt got me years ago with bullshit like that. purchased a pair of Testonis that were actually "cordovan" color, not made of shell :fu:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be fairly surprised if they're shell cordovan. When I see a shoe described as "cordovan" I assume it's just the color unless it's a maker I know uses shell. When I see a description on Gilt, I'm surprised if they even get the color right.

They look pretty good for being Etro shoes though. Every pair of men's Etro shoes I've seen have been rather more flamboyant. Like a paisley rainbow threw up on them.

mbtex

Reaction score
There you go.

The leather is pretty much different from calf leather. (no webby wrinkles)

Since it is a new pair of shoe, it was hard to bend the shoe without not damaging the leather.

(Considering the fact that I am willing to return this if it is not genuine shell cordovan.)

mbtex

Reaction score

There you are.

Since it is a new pair of shoes, which I am willing to return if it is not made of genuine shell cordovan, I could not flex the shoes hard enough to avoiding damaging the shoes.

But it is kind of funny to say this, they "smell like" real cordovan (I have a pair of cordovan shoes from Allen Edmonds) and the surface is totally different from calf leather.

There is no webby wrinkle when I flex them as one can see in the pictures above.)

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are not shell. I have seen them on gilt. Shell would have bumps around the lace holes or in that sections. Or press mark to reduce the bumps(c&j , churches press around the lace hole and around stitching areas).Its just polished calf in cordovan colour. Also on the last 2 pictures you can see the creasing sign . Also you can see the grains which is the give away.
Shell

Calf

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look around the stitching the press mark. To reduce the bumps. Shell is pretty hefty. If maker don’t press they look really bumpy. My shell Florsheims are not pressed and looks really bumpy.

mbtex

Reaction score

As Gilt says, original price is $945 and gilt sold them with price of $449.

I used $50 coupon and paid 441$ including tax+shipping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads