• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HUSBANDS (Paris)

Nidrab

Reaction score
Hi everyone, here is the final result for my jacket ! I’m very happy with the fit and the fabric (from Fox Brothers).
Autre Vue, I see we have similar taste !
PS : Sorry about the mess around me

Attachments

• B6EAC12A-ADE8-492B-A125-2543101551CB.jpeg
    B6EAC12A-ADE8-492B-A125-2543101551CB.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 457
  • 6EE279E1-FE50-4CC4-A51B-CEBBEBB70A75.jpeg
    6EE279E1-FE50-4CC4-A51B-CEBBEBB70A75.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 575

LeSpaceCowboy

Reaction score
As summer holidays and post-summer workload had kept me from posting here in a while, I am happy to report that like Nidrab, I too just received my last commission from Husbands. Though apparently there had been a bit of delay from the factory, I really didn't mind since the weather in Paris this summer had been so warm and it's only in the last week or two so that I had started to put away my summer clothes. Now that temperatures are starting to dip below 20°C, my suit couldn't have arrived at a better time.

The vintage Gorina (still feels funny to call something from the 90's vintage, it just makes me feel vintage) from Lafayette Saltiel Drapiers is as beautiful as hoped crisp, dry, with a beautiful drape. I had forgotten to take some pictures in the store after the trousers had come back for the final alterations in length and a slight adjustment in the waist, and the jacket fit perfectly straight from the factory just like my previous order so I think I've just been lucky in that regard. I did take some pictures as soon as I got home.

View attachment 1835740
It's got a beautiful lapel roll, more than my corduroy one owing to the fabric I believe, which drapes much nicer. The jacket also has flap pockets but I think I'm going to keep them tucked in like this when I wear it as a full suit, and pull them out when I wear it as a separate. It also looks like it's quarter-lined here but that's just the trousers folded on the hanger.

View attachment 1835741
I love the structure and slight rollino in the shoulder, which to me is what Husbands is all about. And when you feel and wear the shoulder there's actually just the thinnest padding in there so it doesn't feel bulky at all, it's all quite soft and malleable.

View attachment 1835743
What I love about this black and white micro-houndstooth is from afar or if you squint it looks like a regular mid-grey worsted, but up close you see that crisp puppytooth pattern. It also helps to show off the contrasting Milanese buttonhole and their signature travetto stitch on the pocket, another favourite detail of mine. Nicolas says it's the closest thing to a "logo" that they've got 😝

I wish I could wear it already tomorrow but I'll be on location for a shoot and expect to be kneeling on dirty sidewalks all day, but perhaps I'll wear it this Sunday. I've been liking the idea that when all the corporate types are putting away their work uniforms for the weekend, I'll be wearing a houndstooth suit with flared trousers walking around the Marais.

Also, I hope some of you on here took advantage of the archives sale from last week. I was unfortunately too slow, and what I would have wanted was long gone. In fact it seemed like 80% of what was listed had been sold out within a day or so of the announcement, which is quite impressive.
Congrats ! Beautiful one. Is it the Morrisey cut ? I really like the overall equilibrium of it, Monsieur Nicolas did a fantastic work on it 😍

Autre Vue

Reaction score
Beautiful jacket Nidrab, the fit looks spot on and very flattering, trim but not overtly fashion. Your eye can't help but be drawn to the strong V shape created by the structured and slightly extended shoulders. This to me is the beauty of the Husbands cut: you have the geometry and structure in the shoulder like an English suit without all the padding and weight (literal and historical) , with the swept quarters of the Italians giving it more playfulness and dynamism. I find it's really the best of both worlds and with France sitting geographically right in between the two, archetypically Parisian. It's also a refreshing silhouette in the sea of navy blue shirt shoulders out there.

I am also very much liking the Fox Flannel, I've gone through the bunches in the shop and I've got it in my head to use one of their flannels for the next commission. How is the weight for you? I know Fox does a midweight 340g Flannel but I wonder if that wouldn't be substantial enough. Paris doesn't get that cold in the winter, but I do like the idea of using a heavy flannel double breasted jacket as outwerwear from time to time, so I'm torn between which weight to go for.

Congrats ! Beautiful one. Is it the Morrisey cut ? I really like the overall equilibrium of it, Monsieur Nicolas did a fantastic work on it 😍

It is indeed the Morrissey cut, with the 8.5cm lapels. On our initial meeting I asked Nicolas if I should try the wider lapel cut but he thought the Morrissey suits my face shape better, so I deferred to the expert. I wore the jacket with black trousers the other day and got quite a few compliments (and not just from my wife), so I think it was the right decision. Though I am really leaning towards a double breasted for the next one and I feel like that needs the drama of a wider lapel. I will have to try on some of the DB models they have in the store to see what works.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, here is the final result for my jacket ! I’m very happy with the fit and the fabric (from Fox Brothers).
Autre Vue, I see we have similar taste !
PS : Sorry about the mess around me

Love the jacket. Great silhouette.

Beautiful jacket Nidrab, the fit looks spot on and very flattering, trim but not overtly fashion. Your eye can't help but be drawn to the strong V shape created by the structured and slightly extended shoulders. This to me is the beauty of the Husbands cut: you have the geometry and structure in the shoulder like an English suit without all the padding and weight (literal and historical) , with the swept quarters of the Italians giving it more playfulness and dynamism. I find it's really the best of both worlds and with France sitting geographically right in between the two, archetypically Parisian. It's also a refreshing silhouette in the sea of navy blue shirt shoulders out there.

I am also very much liking the Fox Flannel, I've gone through the bunches in the shop and I've got it in my head to use one of their flannels for the next commission. How is the weight for you? I know Fox does a midweight 340g Flannel but I wonder if that wouldn't be substantial enough. Paris doesn't get that cold in the winter, but I do like the idea of using a heavy flannel double breasted jacket as outwerwear from time to time, so I'm torn between which weight to go for.

It is indeed the Morrissey cut, with the 8.5cm lapels. On our initial meeting I asked Nicolas if I should try the wider lapel cut but he thought the Morrissey suits my face shape better, so I deferred to the expert. I wore the jacket with black trousers the other day and got quite a few compliments (and not just from my wife), so I think it was the right decision. Though I am really leaning towards a double breasted for the next one and I feel like that needs the drama of a wider lapel. I will have to try on some of the DB models they have in the store to see what works.

Nice choice of pattern. I would love to see it on you sometime.

The 340g Fox flannel should make up nicely. This example is from their 340 g Somerset book

Nidrab

Reaction score

Hi Autre Vue, thanks a lot for the kind words, I agree 100% on the description you made ! About the flannel weight, tg et one I chose is 400/430g according to the website (https://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/collections/vintage-fox/products/vf14). As you said, it is definitely not necessary in Paris but I was happy to go out earlier with just a shirt and my jacket with no coat and feeling warm ! More than the warmness, it’s the softness of the jacket that I really like. I could almost think there was a bit of cashemire in it, even though it’s 100% wool. A double breasted flannel suit seems a great idea, but I’m not a big fan of the two lapel styles Husbands provide…

goof1972

Reaction score
Ssense seem to have received some more Husband inventory...

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of 3 button suits.

Autre Vue

Reaction score
Love the jacket. Great silhouette.

Nice choice of pattern. I would love to see it on you sometime.

The 340g Fox flannel should make up nicely. This example is from their 340 g Somerset book

Haha sadly I am much more comfortable behind the camera rather than in front of it, I've never been one to take a fit pic. But if I get the chance to have someone take a picture next time I'm wearing it I'll make sure to post here.

But yes I was thinking to do up a classic mid grey or dove grey flannel, just not sure what weight to go for. 340g seems like the wiser and more practical choice, but the idea of a 400-500g flannel like Nidrab's, so called "proper cloth", sounds really enticing too. I could wear the coat on it's own as outerwear, almost like a reefer jacket. But I know once I go inside any warm restaurants or homes, it would start to get warm real fast.

Ssense seem to have received some more Husband inventory...

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of 3 button suits.

Matches Fashion also seems to have new pieces as well. There's a very handsome cream peak lapel suit that seems to be a Matches exclusive.

I've actually started coming around to a jacket with a hard-3. I have an old Liverano RTW back when they were outsourcing the manufacturing in Japan, it's a hard 3 and I almost never wore it, but now that I'm getting a bit of 3-roll-2 fatigue I might just wear it more often.

touchthesky

Reaction score
I received a couple of jackets from the archive sale in size 46. These, along with a recently ordered suit in size 46 from Mr Porter, were my first Husbands pieces. Overall for me, sizing is tight but true to size IMO. I could realistically fit size 48 in the chest and the shoulders for a more business/conservative fit, but the jacket length would be too long on me (I'm 5'8"). Besides sizing, the overall style of the jackets is very nice - love the bigger lapels and the directionally retro vibe. My wife commented that I looked like I was from Narcos when I wore the suit :D.

merkwurdigliebe

Reaction score
I picked up some pants (2 pairs of trousers and 2 pairs of jeans) from the Matches collection and had to size up 1 size for each pair. Not sure if its because of the newer factory or what but just something to keep in mind. Free shipping and returns certainly helped, though.

Autre Vue

Reaction score
First time wearing both the jacket and trousers today (til now I'd just them as separates) so here is a hastily taken picture inside a comically tiny Parisian elevator before rushing off to a meeting. With the little Lafayette Saltiel Drapiers pin button in the lapel as a nod to the origins of the fabric.

Got a few compliments on it again so that's always nice, and I'm personally loving the late 70's/early 80's slightly dandy vibe from wearing this pattern as a full suit.

Attachments

• IMG_9440.JPG
    IMG_9440.JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 422

LeSpaceCowboy

Reaction score
Très beau! Had a similar project in mind for quite some time. Was thinking of the 138 from Dugdale Bros. One day maybe.

I wanted to thank you guys. Didn’t order anything since 2020. Actually, picked up my last jacket something like one week before first lockdown. Been busy and kept thinking of many garments I wanted to order. Reading you for the past weeks gave me that final push I needed, just wrote to them for my next orders.

I love that House. Their spirit, their style, the team, everything, they’re really unique.

Will start with a heavy light grey flannel sportcoat 500g. Probably the Jarvis cut, one of my favs. And a charcoal trousers, a heavy twill or flannel, will see what they advise me. Monsieur Nicolas always tells me you order the same thing 😊 (greys, earth tones…). But the truth is the older I get, the simpler my style becomes. Focusing more on the cut and the fit, which is fantastic at Husbands for my morphology.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your passion ! Wish you well.

Autre Vue

Reaction score

Makes me happy to read this because you are totally right, as much as I love the design and universe of the brand, it is Nicolas and his team that get me coming back.

The idea for the jacket will turn out great with that wide lapel cut and grey flannel, and 500g sounds like it would be bulletproof. If you have the time I would recommend going to Lafayette Saltiel Drapiers just to get more ideas, aside from their vintage fabrics they’re also the agent of Fox Brothers and they just received the update books last week. The new Fox 1772 bunch in 90% merino-10% cashmere is great, and all quite heavy at 400g.

But the vintage stuff really is very inspiring, and you can find some unexpected surprises. Virgil showed me a very eclectic high twist in such an odd weave, not something I would have ever thought to like but I find myself slightly obsessing over at the moment. B9C5B248-4FFA-476D-8C17-736BCAA00D2D.jpeg EFB96D9C-D378-4DA8-937E-FE6A3859C217.jpeg

LeSpaceCowboy

Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendation. That’s very kind of you 🙏🏻 I remember the place, it’s quite impressive seeing all those fabrics at the same place for the first time. Been there once. I managed to get a trial a few years back, just after graduating from law school. It was at the beginning of summer at Master Guislon’s tailoring school (rip). His daughter sent me to LSD to get some special needles and a tailor thimble 😊

Will try to arrange a trip to Paris to visit LSD as I don’t live in France anymore. But the flannel I’m talking about might very well be from there. It’s the one Husbands used in the latest rare finds collection. And yes you’re right about Nicolas and the team. The offer is far more than tailoring. To quote them « it’s about passion and culture ».

Always wanted one, even if it’s wearable only 3 months a year, it reminds me of the ones Lino Ventura used to wear in a very heavy hopsack (Garde à vue 1981) and a flannel.

D2F238EF-5EB6-4A90-BDFF-20D12E6EBA2B.jpeg

8A64B6B2-A932-4031-8C77-6BAE084576FA.jpeg

Last edited:

sabmoll

Reaction score
Bonjour!

Wow, thank you all so much, this thread really took off 🙂

So many beautiful examples!

Anyone here tried their jeans? They look quite nice as well. Moreover, who makes their shirts? The site says made in Germany but I don’t know of any companies who actually still make shirts of this quality in Germany anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads