• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Huntsman bespoke vs. Chester Barrie?

Fashionslave

Reaction score
I'm relying on all you Savile Row bespoke experts on this one.I know Chester Barrie makes Huntsman RTW.I bought a Huntsman 2 piece suit from a consignement shop recently.It's got the functioning button sleeves,boutonierre thread,pleated waistband,and the signature Huntsman lavender striped cloth lining in the sleeves and waistband.I have a vintage bespoke Huntsman suit with the very same sleeve and waistband lining.Therefore,is this suit an actual Huntsman suit or Chester Barrie? This latest suit has a tag on the inner breast pocket with a place to put a name,but it was blank.Any thoughts,gentlemen?

shoefan

Reaction score
If it's a Chester Barrie, it would most likely have the following features:
a Made in England hanger strip inside the collar
a tag with size, model name, etc. in the left inside breast pocket
a Huntsman label inside the jacket (like virtually all other RTW garments)

Also, as I recall, the RTW Huntsman don't have a striped lining in the trousers (I don't have mine readily at hand to confirm).

Fashionslave

Reaction score
It does have the Made in England hanger strip,whereas my other suit does not.It has the regal looking lion seal with "Made in England" in the pants and inside breast pocket.It has no model name.I've had Chester Barrie suits and this somehow seems different.Thanks for your input,Shoefan.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The suit you bough recently is RTW. The only tagging in a bespoke Huntsman is the label in the pocket with the firm name/customer name/date etc. The pants are also a big tip-off, Savile Row pants are very distinctively handmade, and usually with MOP buttons for the back pockets.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was on the Row visiting Darren yesterday and unless my meds are off Chester Barrie and Huntsman are across the street from one another and offset by 100 yards or so...

Seems odd that they would be made by the same folks as the storefronts there are somewhat on the expensive side....

Darren?

Brian SD

Reaction score
The suit you bough recently is RTW. The only tagging in a bespoke Huntsman is the label in the pocket with the firm name/customer name/date etc. The pants are also a big tip-off, Savile Row pants are very distinctively handmade, and usually with MOP buttons for the back pockets.
So does that mean that Huntsman at no time made RTW suits, and they are all made by Chester Barrie?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So does that mean that Huntsman at no time made RTW suits,
Yes
and they are all made by Chester Barrie?
Huntsman started maybe 20 -25 years ago with RTW. The original suits were made by Chester Barrie, but over the years there might have been other manufacturers as well (I remember some years ago, seeing a rather Italian looking range.)

Jill

Reaction score
Yup, we'll have to ask Darren.  I was just there yesterday.  They're across the street from one another, seemingly unrelated.  But I suppose they could have some kind of relationship.  Darren??  

BTW, thanks for lunch.

Never mind. I see that Chuck already answered this question.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So does that mean that Huntsman at no time made RTW suits, and they are all made by Chester Barrie?

If I understand your question, you are correct. All Huntsman RTW suits are/were outsourced, as would be expected. Though they will be made to the silhouette/spec of the firm who appears on the label. It's not like you are buying a Chester Barrie at a higher price.

The bespoke suits are not made by Chester Barrie, of course.

I remember some years ago, seeing a rather Italian looking range

Here in the states, they sold Huntsman suits tailored by Cantarelli for a brief period. That could be them, though not necessarily so...

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Aha--I also detect Huntsman logo(inside)suspender buttons on my original Huntsman.Furthermore,on the jacket,under each arm,a center panel,so two seams under the arm,tapering down into a triangular point and forming a sinle seam.Wow,lots of handwork.Plus a heavier, more solid cloth on the original,I would say 34 oz.wool.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
If I understand your question, you are correct. All Huntsman RTW suits are/were outsourced, as would be expected. Though they will be made to the silhouette/spec of the firm who appears on the label. It's not like you are buying a Chester Barrie at a higher price.

The bespoke suits are not made by Chester Barrie, of course.

Here in the states, they sold Huntsman suits tailored by Cantarelli for a brief period. That could be them, though not necessarily so...

Are these cantarelli ones fully-canvassed or fused?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads