• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo Boss Red Label Suits and Some Other Newbie Questions

nash

Reaction score
I've been searching for a suit to wear for a wedding in a couple of weeks. My size is 36s which, as you know, is one of the more difficult sizes to find. My price range is around 600. The only thing I've seen on the rack that fit me really well was a navy Hugo Boss Red Label for 800 (640 after 20% off).

Now I've searched and found that SF's general consensus regarding HB is fairly negative, especially for the price. But in my situation, without time to get a MTM, and with a budget in mind, would it be a bad idea to go for this one?

I'm in the Washington DC area, and I've been to 7 different stores and haven't had any luck with 36s at all. If anyone knows of a good place in the MD/DC/VA area, I'm all ears. I've heard that H&M is a good deal, but I've been to two H&Ms in the area (White Flint Mall and Arundel Mills) but they didn't carry suits.

afaludi

Reaction score
i would go to tysons 2 and look around their for something. They have a good selection of higher quality designer suits. Another suggestion would be to go to felines basement and poke around there, they just opened up a store in the tysons area

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also second the suggestion to go to Filene's Basement of which there appear to be a couple of in Washington DC if you check out their website. The labels to look out for in your price range are Ralph Lauren Blue Label, Gianluca, Z Zegna, and maybe even the lower end Luciano Barbera range. When I visited FBs in Boston, they had a fair selection in size 36 but I have heard that the ones outside of Boston are nowhere as good. Also try Brooks Brothers.

Try to look for something in a solid medium to dark grey or navy. Avoid black unless it is a funeral.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a "Hugo" (Boss red label) suit, but in Germany they retail usually at 400€, so you probably would pay more for it on sale than I would have to if I bought it here for standard retail prices!
Though I heard that Boss tries to improve the quality of their red label suits in the last time, I think those that sator recommended would be a better deal if you can find one in your size.

nash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I would also second the suggestion to go to Filene's Basement of which there appear to be a couple of in Washington DC if you check out their website. The labels to look out for in your price range are Ralph Lauren Blue Label, Gianluca, Z Zegna, and maybe even the lower end Luciano Barbera range. When I visited FBs in Boston, they had a fair selection in size 36 but I have heard that the ones outside of Boston are nowhere as good. Also try Brooks Brothers.

Try to look for something in a solid medium to dark grey or navy. Avoid black unless it is a funeral.

Thanks for all the suggestions to Filene's Basement. I've never heard of the place but will definitely check it out.

Also, I'm having trouble with the 'pinch test' for telling between fused and unfused suits. From what I understand, the chest area will feel thicker than the back area when pinched. But everything I've pinched so far feels thicker at the chest, even some higher end Canali suits. Or maybe I just haven't gotten my hands on a fully canvased suit yet.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nash
Also, I'm having trouble with the 'pinch test' for telling between fused and unfused suits.

At the price range you are looking at you will have trouble finding a fully canvassed lounge suit, even from Filene's Basement. Many of the labels I recommended eg Z Zegna, RLBL are fused. You will have to adjust your budget upwards if you are after Corneliani, Canali, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, or Oxxford

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions to Filene's Basement. I've never heard of the place but will definitely check it out.

Also, I'm having trouble with the 'pinch test' for telling between fused and unfused suits. From what I understand, the chest area will feel thicker than the back area when pinched. But everything I've pinched so far feels thicker at the chest, even some higher end Canali suits. Or maybe I just haven't gotten my hands on a fully canvased suit yet.

My "pinch" test:

Stand facing front of suit jacket/sportcoat. Pick a spot of fabric about 1" up from bottom hem and 1" in front the edge. Actually use two hands to pull apart the fabric, both from inside the jacket and outside (each hand/fingers on one piece of fabric). If you can pull the fabric apart, and feel a distinct third, sandwiched, layer, the jacket is fully canvassed. No third layer, no canvass.

Hope this makes sense.

nash

Reaction score
I called around all the FBs around here and there are 4 suits in 36 short.

Two Hickey Freemans, one Canali in light grey, and a Joseph Abboud ($399) in charcoal pinstripes. The Canali is $799 on sale starting May 7th. Any advice here? Or keep looking?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how about Virtual Clothes Horse?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I called around all the FBs around here and there are 4 suits in 36 short.

Two Hickey Freemans, one Canali in light grey, and a Joseph Abboud ($399) in charcoal pinstripes. The Canali is $799 on sale starting May 7th. Any advice here? Or keep looking?

Since you prefer trying before buying, it sounds like the Canali may work. Light grey is fine for a spring wedding if you ask me. You might also get lucky and find that one of the 36Rs may be small enough for you to fit with a bit of tailoring. Sleeves can easily be shortened and waists taken in. Even the skirt can be shortened about 3/4" if necessary. Ask the salespeople about a recommendation for an alternations tailor. So why not go out and try a few on? Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads