• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HTC evo vs. Palm pre

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who may be interested, I finally went to the Sprint store and tried out the evo. I have a Palm pre and for the most part love it. I was planning on getting the evo after I got back from a month-long trip abroad, but I've decided not to. It's a pretty device but...

No physical keyboard - I hadn't realized how much I've gotten used to a physical keyboard. I can touch type sometimes if I'm walking with my pre (I know it's a douchey thing to do but I sometimes do it). There's none of that with the evo.

Camera isn't as good - The pre's camera really rocks. Low light is pretty bad, even with the flash, but I like having the pre as a backup camera when I don't have my digital camera. Plus it has video.

Lag - With the pre overclocked, it's nice and smooth. There's an odd lag on the evo.

Pinch zoom isn't accurate - I like the Pre's pinch zoom. On a browser, it zooms directly in the middle of where your fingers are pinching. Not on the evo. On the evo it just zooms in a strange way.

Multitasking - The pre freaking rocks at multitasking. There's nothing like it. I couldn't figure out how to see what's running and switch from app to app.

What's better about the evo?

Bigger Screen - The pre has a smallish screen.

Build quality and thickness - It's really built solid and it's nice and thin. The pre is somewhat flimsy.

More RAM - (I have a sprint pre - 256MB) I don't like seeing low memory errors, and I've recently been seeing them too frequently.

TL;DR:

Evo doesn't have a physical keyboard. I'm not buying it.

Mauby

Reaction score
With the Pre having a smaller screen, it will probably have better battery life over the EVO.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
With the Pre having a smaller screen, it will probably have better battery life over the EVO.

Good point. I also have the extended life battery (1350mAh) for the Pre so I usually have no problems with battery life, provided I don't use it constantly throughout the day.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rather like the touch screen keyboard...don't mind it at all.

Camera on the EVO is 8 megapixel. It takes 720p video and has a front facing camera. low light wasn't very good though.

I am really enjoying the Android OS though. The apps are fantastic. I use a lot of the things and many of the features are very seamless.

Main draws of the EVO are its Android, it can use the 4G Wireless network, and you can have it as a wireless modem (cost more money though).

sleekblackroadster

Reaction score
i just wish i could find an evo in stock somewhere.

local sprint store in sw houston area has a 90-person waiting list STILL.

i'm hoping radio shack will come through for me or sprint online will get more stock up!

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
I rather like the touch screen keyboard...don't mind it at all.

Camera on the EVO is 8 megapixel. It takes 720p video and has a front facing camera. low light wasn't very good though.

I am really enjoying the Android OS though. The apps are fantastic. I use a lot of the things and many of the features are very seamless.

Main draws of the EVO are its Android, it can use the 4G Wireless network, and you can have it as a wireless modem (cost more money though).

Nice video! Yeah, 4G is definitely a plus and so is video chat. I took a video with my Pre some months ago. I was surprised by how it handled fast motion.

Originally Posted by sleekblackroadster
i just wish i could find an evo in stock somewhere.

local sprint store in sw houston area has a 90-person waiting list STILL.

i'm hoping radio shack will come through for me or sprint online will get more stock up!

It's odd, the Sprint store near me said there was a waiting list, but I'd get it tomorrow. Can you call different stores and have them ship it to you? I think they'd like the commissions if they could get it anyway.

Dashing1

Reaction score
I'm wait-listed at my nearest Sprint store, but have played around with the EVO, and it is AWESOME!

I really thought I would not want a phone without a physical keyboard (as I really don't like my wife's Android Hero keyboard), but typing on the EVO was an unexpected breeze. I don't think I could type any faster or any more accurate on a physical keyboard (I will admit that I am not the greatest typist, tho').

Can't wait to get my EVO!

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashing1
I'm wait-listed at my nearest Sprint store, but have played around with the EVO, and it is AWESOME!

I really thought I would not want a phone without a physical keyboard (as I really don't like my wife's Android Hero keyboard), but typing on the EVO was an unexpected breeze. I don't think I could type any faster or any more accurate on a physical keyboard (I will admit that I am not the greatest typist, tho').

Can't wait to get my EVO!

Nice!

Here's an in-depth view at the two phones.
http://www.androidcentral.com/compar...-evo-4g-sprint

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am not a phone geek. I upgraded from my Razr to a Palm Pre in January. Really like it overall.

Best part: Being able to use it as a mobile WIFI router for my laptop.

Worst Part: If you use a password, there is an emergency dial feature that is easy to accidentally enable with stuff in your pocket. This will autodial 911. Not good. I've disabled the password until I can install a hack to get rid of that feature.

~ H

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Upgraded to a Palm Pre from a Blackberry. The Palm probably had the best OS on a phone that I've used but the battery life only lasted about 6 hours which bugged me and the reception was not teh best on ATT. I returned it 2 days later and got a new Blackberry.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was stuck at the car dealer this morning getting some stuff taken care of, drained my battery in half a day....but I only partially charged it this morning as I passed out without charging. But it was a lot of interactive stuff, I was uploading videos, posting on message boards, sending emails, etc.

pretty surprised it drained that quickly though. should definitley have charger available at all times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics