• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How's LL Bean?

Jl24

Reaction score
I'm looking at their cardigans and they seem decent for that price range. Unfortunately, I live on the West Coast so I can't try them on at a retail store. Anyone know about the quality and the cut?

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Bean is a mail-order company, so there are no retail stores (except for the outlet in Maine). They have great customer service, and if you order something, you can always return it. I'm returning boots for the second time this winter (size down if ordering their boots). I would think the quality would be great, cut might just be like the Gap or JCrew.

fastrunningmom

Reaction score
Actually, they do have a few retail outlets outside of Maine, but not many. I know there is one in New Jersey someplace (on the shore?) and they are building one to open this Fall in SouthWindsor, CT. That said, I doubt there are any on the west coast.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Bean is a mail-order company, so there are no retail stores (except for the outlet in Maine). They have great customer service, and if you order something, you can always return it. I'm returning boots for the second time this winter (size down if ordering their boots). I would think the quality would be great, cut might just be like the Gap or JCrew.

Actually, Bean now has several retail locations in the Northeast (with more on the way), including the flagship in Freeport, ME. There are also a few outlet locations.

I echo the above about customer service. It's outstanding. I also think the quality of Bean clothing and other items is particularly good given the price. The clothing is definitely conservative in styling.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
Actually, Bean now has several retail locations in the Northeast (with more on the way), including the flagship in Freeport, ME. There are also a few outlet locations.

I echo the above about customer service. It's outstanding. I also think the quality of Bean clothing and other items is particularly good given the price. The clothing is definitely conservative in styling.

Wow, you learn something new every day, I just went onto the website and found that they have 7 stores in the NE and 14 outlets. None in NY though
confused.gif
I guess I will stop into the one in MA, next time I visit the family.

Also from the website, the 100% Guarantee:

From kayaks to slippers, fly rods to sweaters, everything we sell at L.L.Bean is backed by the same rock-solid guarantee of satisfaction. It's been that way since our founder sold his very first pair of Bean Boots in 1912. Today we're proud to continue the tradition - by offering quality products and standing behind them.

Of course, we want you to be the final judge of quality. If you're not satisfied with your purchase, we'll replace it or give you your money back. It's that simple.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hawkeye

Also from the website, the 100% Guarantee:

From kayaks to slippers, fly rods to sweaters, everything we sell at L.L.Bean is backed by the same rock-solid guarantee of satisfaction. It's been that way since our founder sold his very first pair of Bean Boots in 1912. Today we're proud to continue the tradition - by offering quality products and standing behind them.

Of course, we want you to be the final judge of quality. If you're not satisfied with your purchase, we'll replace it or give you your money back. It's that simple.

yeah, their customer service and rteturn policy is outstanding. Im not sure if it still like this, but it used to be that once you bought something, you could return it forever. My friend's dad, who lives in Maine, bought a canvas duffle bag decades ago, and used to just stop by Freeport every few years to turn it in for a new one.

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
My friend's dad, who lives in Maine, bought a canvas duffle bag decades ago, and used to just stop by Freeport every few years to turn it in for a new one.

I find that completely unethical.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Devil's Hands
I find that completely unethical.

ummm... unless I'm mistaken, LL Bean's whole idea is to induce this kind of thing (And the customer loyalty that springs from people coming back to your store years down the road). "We stand by our products so much, that once its worn out, we'll replace it" etc It's not like he was going in in disguise with a forged receipt (to my knoweldge). Where is the ethical violation in gratefully taking advantage of a generous offer?

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
ummm... unless I'm mistaken, LL Bean's whole idea is to induce this kind of thing (And the customer loyalty that springs from people coming back to your store years down the road). "We stand by our products so much, that once its worn out, we'll replace it" etc

In the case, I guess it's ok. I normally don't like it when people abuse good faith agreements. But if that's the kind of thing they had in mind...eh.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a pair of whipcord trousers I found at a Bean outlet that are among my favorite pieces of clothing. Only $30 too. Should have bought a second pair, though they seem to make an annual appearance, from what I've read here.

Overall, much of the stuff isn't to my taste, but I like the return policy.

Jerry52

Reaction score
Back a few years ago, it seems they would ship for free or some ridiculous fixed price like $3.00.

They seem to have great variety but, generally, more cater to "rugged" outdoorsy clothing than high style. I'm sure there are exceptions.

I imagine their Freeport store must be wonderful!

Popsandfriends

Reaction score
I live about 20 minutes from the LL Bean in Freeport, ME. They totally rock. Everything is on par with what you would expect from such a company. Their clothing selection is amazing

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Just to throw some cold water on the party, I'll say that their dressier shoe offerings aren't particularly nice. They're not AE prices, but they still don't live up to the Bean rep. The AA Trads would tell you the quality has gone down over the years.

I had a bizzare experience with a pair of Gore Tex hiking boots and the soles just disintegrated into these little fuzzy black powdery balls. I left trails of black rubbery powder all over the carpet at the place I used to work.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Just to throw some cold water on the party, I'll say that their dressier shoe offerings aren't particularly nice. They're not AE prices, but they still don't live up to the Bean rep. The AA Trads would tell you the quality has gone down over the years.

It is true what you say about the AA Trads, but they say that about just about everything.
smile.gif

I agree with you regarding their dressier shoes - they're probably along the lines of Bass quality. I do have a pair of their casual blucher mocs which, so far (after about 6 or 8 months of pretty steady wear), are holding up well and are quite comfortable. Of course, their original Bean Boots are a classic. Also, for their 95th anniverary, they are offering a pair of "Engineer Boots" which they say are inspired by their original Engineer Boots and which are made in the USA. Since these are new, I have no idea as to actual quality or comfort. They look like they'd go well with a pair of jeans or perhaps some khakis.

Stu's experience with the hiking boots is, as he says, pretty bizarre.

I don't mean to come off as a shill for LL Bean, and it's definitely not somewhere I'd shop for dressier clothing, but, obviously, I like them quite a bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads