• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omnibus Women's designer fashion thread

planetarium

Reaction score
Move to the Male Gaze thread and let this one stagnate.

Almost everything posted here lately looks like a J. Crew catalog or a visit to Starbucks.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Moar women in gray, light gray, dark gray, and black please. Towering sneakers, none of that high heel business!

Both threads suck. DEAL WITH IT.

Last edited:

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

Brad-t, what's your beef? I don't see what gives you the impression that SW&D is supposed to be more high minded than MC. As far ask I know I come to SW&D for casual clothes (advice about jeans) and MC for formalwear (tuxedos, suits, ties). Not sure what that has to do with this thread. Dunno why it'd qualify for DT either. There aren't that many posts about "OMG she's hot". Ok, people post pretty chicks in "normal" clothes as what they'd like a girl to wear. So what? Sorry it's not to your specific tastes. Anyway, didn't we have an argument about this earlier and another thread was created? The scum bags that like to post girls (usually attractive) in "normal" outfits as how they like a girl to dress can post here, and those with more advanced ideas about womens style can post there.
Also I would blame Lel for the confusion. I tried re-reading his OP and it's a stream of consciousness about women's clothing. Not to mention the broad thread title.

the point is this thread is posted in almost exclusively by MC regulars. it doesn't reflect SW&D's tastes or interests at all. so why should it be here?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's nothing to do with MC vs SW&D posters, it's to do with poor taste and an unwillingness to actually think beyond the box of "hot chick + nice heels = good fit".

Most of us were initially guilty of this syndrome, but thankfully there were enough good posts that we actually thought and redefined our perspective.

Yet now, whenever someone tries to point out how ridiculous some of the stuff that they're posting is, we get that tired argument that taste is personal. This misses the point; a hot girl in a skin tight lycra tuxedo should be in poor taste to most people when you actually think about it, and if you're someone who goes to the effort to visit a clothing forum, it should definitely be in poor taste to you.

Most of us don't need styleforum for our dose of hot women, and if we do there are already threads for this.

*******. Keep your ******* stilettos.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

it's nothing to do with MC vs SW&D posters, it's to do with poor taste and an unwillingness to actually think beyond the box of "hot chick + nice heels = good fit"...

Most of us don't need styleforum for our dose of hot women, and if we do there are already threads for this.
*******. Keep your ******* stilettos.

...and yet the other thread teems with nothing but young, thin, rich, attractive women. Box indeed.

Let's not get too self-congratulatory here -- especially when the majority of brad et al's actual, stated objections are quite classist and self-serving: that the bulk of this thread's looks are too affordable, or simply not in line with their aesthetic. (I mean, look at the first few pages. No one complained of the half-naked women in mopey goth colorways).

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

...and yet the other thread teems with nothing but thin, young, rich, attractive women. Box indeed.
Let's not get too self-congratulatory here -- especially when the majority of brad et al's actual, stated objections are quite classist and self-serving: that the majority of what's seen here is too affordable, or simply not in line with their aesthetic.

I don't want to get self-congratulatory and I agree that the circle-jerk needs to be avoided, but what cost is it to the forum when we can't say that this is terrible?

At what point do we want these types of posts dominating the forum?:
I want women to dress feminine; meaning stilletos and skirts 100% of the time. Thankfully, my gf agrees and obliges.

That's how we gentlemens like it? Who the **** wants a trashy punk girl that will make your bespoke suits look like ****. All that money for nothing, welcome to the club boys.

The only reason I'm making a deal of this is because I once missed the point of this thread as well. But I was open-minded enough to see that there's more to women's clothing than nice legs and high ******* heels.

I just want other posters to also come to this realisation.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree -- there are plenty of (strict) objectification threads, and that stuff should be moved there. My problem is with this stupid us vs. them mentality that crops up, coupled with the wholesale rejection of anything not explicitly goth-inspired, the useless elitism, the idea that what's condescendingly termed a JCrew or Starbucks aesthetic is uniformly bad or can't be done well, or the completely absurd notion that a bedazzled man most would guess is appearing in drag represents the majority of visitors to this forum.

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only reason I'm making a deal of this is because I once missed the point of this thread as well. But I was open-minded enough to see that there's more to women's clothing than nice legs and high ******* heels.

I think the problem is that everything comes down to personal taste. I agree there is a lot of bias in the posts and that they lean towards conventionally attractive women dressed in heels. Many people are taking issue with the fact that (what we will call) the SW&D crowd are calling them basically tasteless heathens because they don't conform to the popular aesthetic the SW&D crowd seems to like in the thread. It's hard to blame them, because you are essentially saying, "you should like our dark and edgy stuff or you are stupid". Claiming it is all about clothing and fit. Now, logically, J. Crew can fit an individual just as well as any other designer or brand. The problem is you are looking at a "J. Crew -Esq" post and making a snap judgement even if the clothes obviously fit her well. Is she attractive? Probably, since that is the type most designers/brands hire. All the hate on the "J. Crew" type is unwarranted and equally as biasing as the behavior you are condemning. All you have done is, instead of saying, "oh shes hot", you are saying, "She is pretty and is dressed in pastels/heels, she can't possible be well dressed and no chance her clothes fit her properly".

I mean I agree, this looks ridiculous

black tie

However, I think this looks very elegant.

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree -- there are plenty of (strict) objectification threads, and that stuff should be moved there. My problem is with this stupid us vs. them mentality that crops up, coupled with the wholesale rejection of anything not explicitly goth-inspired, the useless elitism, the idea that what's condescendingly termed a JCrew or Starbucks aesthetic is uniformly bad or can't be done well, or the completely absurd notion that a bedazzled man most would guess is appearing in drag represents the majority of the visitors to this forum.

I didn't mean it can't be done well, I actually have a classmate who does it very well, but posting the same good-but-not-much-more outfits that all look the same, over and over and over and over is imo kinda pointless.
I think the problem is that everything comes down to personal taste. I agree there is a lot of bias in the posts and that they lean towards conventionally attractive women dressed in heels. Many people are taking issue with the fact that (what we will call) the SW&D crowd are calling them basically tasteless heathens because they don't conform to the popular aesthetic the SW&D crowd seems to like in the thread. It's hard to blame them, because you are essentially saying, "you should like our dark and edgy stuff or you are stupid". Claiming it is all about clothing and fit. Now, logically, J. Crew can fit an individual just as well as any other designer or brand. The problem is you are looking at a "J. Crew -Esq" post and making a snap judgement even if the clothes obviously fit her well. Is she attractive? Probably, since that is the type most designers/brands hire. All the hate on the "J. Crew" type is unwarranted and equally as biasing as male gaze, all you have done is reverse the direction, so to speak.
I mean I agree, this looks ridiculous
However, I think this looks very elegant.

That is has to be dark I don't agree with, but "edgy" you're probably right about(not to say I find Hampton or Lasbar stupid, they just aren't exactly the best posters in this thread
laugh.gif
)
And yes, the clothes may indeed fit her well, but like I've previously mentioned, they all look the same, so they don't really need to be posted five times over.
Lastly, that blue dress is indeed elegant

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I looked back through pages 15-20 of this thread and I really don't understand where some of you come off thinking you get to dictate the content of this thread. There's a ton of junk throughout this thread (for all tastes) dont get why it suddenly has gone downhill and/or doesn't fit the SW&D mold (provided a thread on RL Rugby is on the first page).

Like in all threads (really all of them) you're going to come across things you don't agree with. Of course you can criticize them but it really bugs me when people start trying to dictate the direction of a thread because it doesn't fit their view of what it should be (when it has been what it is all along). Especially a long running one and by posters that didn't even start it.

Now on to the chick in the formal wear thingy, of course it's not classic (and I'm surprised people are flipping out about it here) but it was worn to silly dinner party (thrown at a friend's house) and I found it amusing.

Some of you folks need to lighten up. You're taking the fun out of the thread.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to get self-congratulatory and I agree that the circle-jerk needs to be avoided, but what cost is it to the forum when we can't say that this is terrible?At what point do we want these types of posts dominating the forum?:

Please change the title of the thread to "what hendrix deems socially acceptable for woman-style", and not "how would you like a girl to dress".

You're right, I would expect a girl to wear flats and some similarly slovenly apparel that lends itself to inelegance and the fashion sense of a juvenile.

I want a woman to dress like an adult; meaning a mature woman that works in the city at a business/business-casual atmosphere, then goes out for fine dining and drinks in the evening. A dress or pencil skirt with heels is the standard here, as would be a jacket and fine leather shoes for a man.

Beyond that, it's a matter of personal preference, and I "would like a girl to dress" in things I find attractive; I don't find that closed-minded, just honest.

You need to get off your high horse and shut the **** up with your "stop-liking-what-I-don't-like" condescending diatribe.

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Please change the title of the thread to "what hendrix deems socially acceptable for woman-style", and not "how would you like a girl to dress".

You're right, I would expect a girl to wear flats and some similarly slovenly apparel that lends itself to inelegance and the fashion sense of a juvenile.

I want a woman to dress like an adult; meaning a mature woman that works in the city at a business/business-casual atmosphere, then goes out for fine dining and drinks in the evening. A dress or pencil skirt with heels is the standard here, as would be a jacket and fine leather shoes for a man.

Beyond that, it's a matter of personal preference, and I "would like a girl to dress" in things I find attractive; I don't find that closed-minded, just honest.

You need to get off your high horse and shut the **** up with your "stop-liking-what-I-don't-like" condescending diatribe.

I don't actually want to single anyone out here, and I certainly don't want to get into an e-fight.

I'd just like for you to take a second to re-evaluate the narrow expectations you seem to have for people in your personal life.

You're right, you're welcome to your tastes. Just don't expect me to not be vocal in my distaste for your...taste.

Cheers.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guy who expects fine leather shoes on men has ad for Johnston & Murphy/ Jos A Bank/ Cole Haan shoes in sig. You sir, do not live up to your own expectations.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads