• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How were you when you were my age?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you guys also have a sense of blind optimism when you were 19 that no matter what happened everything will turn out great for you?

no, I didn't get into any more trouble

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not much older than 19 but, no, I wouldn't say I have the same feeling. I have a fairly clear-cut "career path" that I would like to follow, but that will surely change within the next 5 or 10 years. That seems to just be a fact of life.

You could say that I'm hopeful about the future.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Did you guys also have a sense of blind optimism when you were 19 that no matter what happened everything will turn out great for you?

As a 19 year old, I wouldn't call it blind optimism... just a sense of aplomb due to my strong work ethic and clearly defined goals
teacha.gif

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, very blind optimism at 19. It went away at ~21-22. Now I'm optimistic again at 23 years old, but I don't think my optimism is blind anymore. I'm also pretty young, though, so take that for what it's worth.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Just don't go to law school.
I'm in law school and I approve of this message.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm almost twice that age and I still do.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no, I didn't get into any more trouble

I'm not 19 yet, but I have no idea what the hell you are talking about with this "optimism" stuff.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I'm not 19 yet, but I have no idea what the hell you are talking about with this "optimism" stuff.

Maybe not everyone goes through it...who knows.

For me, it was a period of time during which I thought I was smarter than everybody (especially my parents) and I felt like I was invincible--like I would land a six-figure (or more!) salary no matter what I did.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at 19 i was depressed because of my where my job was located and had no where to go where i did not need a body guard.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
Maybe not everyone goes through it...who knows.

For me, it was a period of time during which I thought I was smarter than everybody (especially my parents) and I felt like I was invincible--like I would land a six-figure (or more!) salary no matter what I did.

I know for me not a whole lot seems to have been going right so take my opinion with a grain of salt
laugh.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
at 19 i was depressed because of my where my job was located and had know were to go wer i did not need a body guard.

You want to rephrase that?

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I am not much older than 19 but, no, I wouldn't say I have the same feeling. I have a fairly clear-cut "career path" that I would like to follow, but that will surely change within the next 5 or 10 years. That seems to just be a fact of life.

Yeah, there is no way a career in gay Appreciation can last beyond your early thirties.

flashback

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I did. I actually believed my parents and teachers when they told me I could do whatever I wanted as long as I set my mind to it. Thinking back, I don't think I was ever really pessimistic about the future or where I was going in life, even when I wasn't sure.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm almost twice that age and I still do.
You're my hero.

Originally Posted by JetBlast
The stuff in bold below explains it pretty well.

Originally Posted by flashback
I'm pretty sure I did. I actually believed my parents and teachers when they told me I could do whatever I wanted as long as I set my mind to it. Thinking back, I don't think I was ever really pessimistic about the future or where I was going in life, even when I wasn't sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads