• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear Crew neck T-shirt with sport coat/suit?

donnghia

Reaction score
Hi guys I have seen many influencers on Instagram try the Crew-neck-Tshirt with a sport coat and it work quite well

Do you have any tips to wear sport coat with t-shirt?

In the otherhand with out a shirt collar, the t-shirt make the neck skin touch directly to the jacket collar and it may bring some Dirt/sweet to the Jacket collar, Anyways to get out of this problem? many thanks !

1603904099535.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it's fine with casual tailoring. Just get a softer, higher-end t-shirt and tuck it in. Sunspel tees work well.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like what does look a bit better are shirts with a very high collar and prominent ribbing.

Anthology makes some t-shirts that are like this

anthology-tees-3.jpg

With that said, I think this trend looks absolutely awful. They don't really frame the face compared to any collared shirts with....flaps, and it looks like a formality mis-match.

Most of these would look better with a polo shirt with a good collar.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ that to me is probably wear I would draw the line. It still looks a bit like a sweater.

I don’t care for the t-shirt and sport coat / blazer look. I don’t care how high end the t-shirt.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can look good. I say this because one of the coolest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing used the look often, and he did it well (he also wore suits more than anyone else on this board, I imagine).

The best way for it, IMO, is to go full-on rocker with the look, or else make is summery like the Vox example. Accessorize: use pocket handkerchiefs, scarves, or bracelets if that's your thing. It works better with boots, sneakers, or soft suede loafers.

It's something you have to be able to pull off as a person, and not a look that can be pieced together by formulae.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We discussed this recently on another thread.
IMO it’s very hard to get right and as with the ‘trainers with a suit’ question, the mix of formalities brings a high degree of difficulty. In both cases you can probably think of alternatives that would look so much better, especially if you have a long neck like me!

I’ve moved away from wearing a polo under a suit jacket as the polo collar sinks below that of the jacket, but there are other options such as a popover or Kent Wang ‘rugby’ which have a shirt style collar that will stand up better than a polo and look infinitely better than a crew neck, while obviating the worry of getting neck grease on your jacket!

If you’re dead set on wearing a crew neck make sure the suit is a casual cut and fabric. One crew neck option that works better than most is a Breton shirt.

aj805

Reaction score
Hi guys I have seen many influencers on Instagram try the Crew-neck-Tshirt with a sport coat and it work quite well

Do you have any tips to wear sport coat with t-shirt?

In the otherhand with out a shirt collar, the t-shirt make the neck skin touch directly to the jacket collar and it may bring some Dirt/sweet to the Jacket collar, Anyways to get out of this problem? many thanks !

View attachment 1485996

Welcome to 2020, where people are simply delighted to walk around with diapers strapped to their faces. It seems off to split hairs about the shirt under a jacket, and this fit here looks pretty awesome if you ask me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads