• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to repair Eye Glasses?

wwepatriot

Reaction score
Right now I am out of work, out of solutions to repair a bad lens on my eye glasses.

This is what the left side looks like:

http://img257.imageshack.us/i/pict0001ct.jpg/

its so scratched you think sand paper was put to it, I dunno how it got like that over time and just on that 1 lens, the other side aint nothing wrong with it as seen here

http://img97.imageshack.us/i/pict0002ot.jpg/

I tried just about everything from toothpaste, wheel cleaner, DVD/CD Repair spray, nothing seems to work.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take it to a optician/optemetrist for help. They usually do not charge.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
is this some sort of new spam ad for Megamind?
patch[1].gif

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have your prescription? Chances are decent that you'll need to replace the bad lens, especially if it's plastic.

wwepatriot

Reaction score
I think these lens had anti glare coating on it, what I am not certain of is if its wore off just on that one lens completely or if thats whats causing it, They are prescription lens though, but are about 4 years old to, I dunno what the life of the glare coating is on them.

I am not even sure if they plastic, I assume they are.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wwepatriot

How much did you pay for them?

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wwepatriot
I think these lens had anti glare coating on it, what I am not certain of is if its wore off just on that one lens completely or if thats whats causing it, They are prescription lens though, but are about 4 years old to, I dunno what the life of the glare coating is on them.

If heavily scratched, they are gone.

Goggles4u.com, zennioptical.com, eyebuydirect.com, coastalcontacts.com

Within a month you'll have rx glassess under 20 bucks. You need rx though. If you can't afford that, take your glasses to an optometrist and ask them to write down the axes, cylinder, diopter for both eyes, they can measure it.
Check the websites to see what you need.
Good luck.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an optometry student, I know for sure that the new antiglare coatings are not coatings at all and are bonded into the lenses. The big lens vendors will not provide cheap Costco and Lenscrafters to sell their best products and will only vend their best products from optometry offices.

Just sayin...

As for the idea that an optometrist will write a prescription based on a pair of glasses, no. It is against the law to measure a pair of glasses and write a new prescription based on that. The glasses could belong to anyone. The laws are written by insurance companies who try to prevent this type of fraud.

What appears you've got is a case of sprayed on coating that has fogged up, not worn off. Wearing off will result in sharp demarcations where the coating is on and off. Or a poorly made lens. The fact that only one lens has fogged up can only mean that your vendor did not spray the correct coating on the correct material. Different materials will absorb the coating differently. Looks like your vendor used an old lens laying around that he had to sell or absorb the cost. He should have made sure both lenses were of the same material.

I've got a pair of glasses with antiglare that has lasted over 6 years and nothing wrong with them. But then again, as an optometry student, I don't abuse my glasses with toothpaste, wheel cleaner, and DVD cleaner...

Now that these glasses are already ruined, you might want to try plastic polish which will attempt to fill in the gaps. You can find it at hobby shops. It probably is the best thing you can use and probably should have been the first thing to attempt. From your photos, I can't really tell if it's scratched up or if it is fogged up. If fogged, then nothing will help. If scratched, plastic polish.

wwepatriot

Reaction score
They look fogged up, but its really just a ton of really fine scratches and nothing more.

I was using those methods of Toothpaste, DVD Cleaner, and Wheel Cleaner because of recommendations of it on the internet at various places that have claimed it works.

But it didnt make it better or worse.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just go to Zenni and buy glasses.

I tried a pair of prescription sunglasses and a pair of sports wind-goggles on the cheap and liked them so much that my daily wear glasses are some $19 acetate frames (with the $5 AR upgrade).

Between my friends and I, I have handled maybe 7-8 pairs of theirs and the quality is usually good. 1 of the $8 frames kind of sucked but another $8 frame is one of the nicest feeling...so I guess it is sort of random.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by catside
If heavily scratched, they are gone.

Goggles4u.com, zennioptical.com, eyebuydirect.com, coastalcontacts.com

Within a month you'll have rx glassess under 20 bucks. You need rx though. If you can't afford that, take your glasses to an optometrist and ask them to write down the axes, cylinder, diopter for both eyes, they can measure it.
Check the websites to see what you need.
Good luck.

Sorry, I meant optician. It is of course legal. It is not a prescription, they just measure and tell you what your glasses are. However four years is a long time not to have an eye exam.
Eye exam at Walmart is usually cheap, also Costco (you do not have to be a member)

bboybee

Reaction score
maybe you can try wetsanding with a very fine grit sandpaper? takes out haze in headlights in cars might be a similar case for glasses?

wwepatriot

Reaction score
I dunno if I would be safe Wetsanding it, the headlight solution like the plastic buffing compound sounds more logical though.

Walmart eye exams right now though are like $80, not really cheap, I know of one place that offers eye exams and 2 pairs of glasses for $75, right now I cant collect unemployment till January unless I find work before then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads