• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to not look like a cowboy?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I find that a lot of the combinations I am enjoying putting together into outfits end up looking a tiny bit more cowboy than I am aiming for.
Is this a problem? Well, no, on the face of it, it isn't. The urban cowboy look is pretty trendy these days it seems. So I guess at least people will look at me and think I'm fashionable. But the problem is, I'm not a cowboy. Everyone who knows me knows I'm not a cowboy. So it feels like costume to me - the opposite of "style", as it appears to say nothing about me as a person (it's not relevant to my lifestyle) and feels like an affectation - in the same way as if I , a middle aged, middle class English professional man wore very hip-hop oriented clothes (for example) and ended up giving the impression that I thought I was an American rapper.

Some examples - checked shirts, jeans, suede/corduroy/leather jackets. All items that I love wearing but put the wrong combo together and I start to feel like I'm giving off Tex vibes - Michael the Geordie's USA-loving friend in series 2 of I'm Alan Partridge - the guy who thinks he's an American trucker when he's actually an East Anglian van driver.

I'll try and post some examples of outfits that I think accidentally give off this vibe when I get time to snap a few pics. Checked shirts seem to be the easiest way to fall into this trap, even though none of my checked shirts are even those western-style ones with two breast pockets. But does anyone else get this? And are there any handy tips for avoiding looking like I'd rather be out on the range than in London?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With regards to the shirts, it depends on the style of the shirt. But, you also want to have some differences - you don't want all solids or all checks - you want some variety: solids, stripes, window pane, check. I would be more curious about the jackets you like to wear. I like a quality leather jacket, but cheap ones can often look really bad. Corduroy and suede can be tougher still. Not so much a "tex" vibe as a "I just raided my dad's 1978 wardrobe" vibe. But, everything depends on the whole outfit and how it looks on you - the shoes, the belt, the pants all together. So, if you can post some photos of you in a couple of the outfits, that would help.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
It'd be easier to answer this with photos...

What kind of boots are you wearing? Don't wear cowboy boots. Don't wear too much denim, don't wear flannel overshirts, don't wear... henleys, I guess?

OOooorrr... lean into it. Become a denim guy. Get a stetson. Get a flannel overshirt or a denim jacket. Get thick belts. Maybe even get cowboy boots. Get a dinner jacket but wear it like Ralph Lauren.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads