• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to not look fat

Eagle

Reaction score
I stand at 6' and currently weigh 201. The drop between my chest and waist measures is currently 10 inches. Don't always assume you are as bad off with your BMI as the canned formulas might indicate. Nor should you place too much confidence in readings you may get from scales such as the Tanita "Ultimate Scale", which allegedly provide accurate measures of ones body fat. On my last physical I asked my doctor to have me weighed, while immersed in a water tank. Each approach provided me with significantly different readings, with the last, probably providing me with the most accurate. It was 7% less than the canned formula result and 8% more the the result provided by the electronic scale. Take a good look in the mirror and you will know where you stand!
eh.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yup, water immersion is the only truly accurate measure IMO. and a 10 inch drop is vg.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You're fat, so make sure you own the look.

Agreed. Just don't be the guy that wears spandex Under Armour shirts when shopping at the mall.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop being fat or get a tailor. Taking in a shirt costs, what, $15-20? That's not much and even if it was more expensive, I'd much rather have 5 well fitting shirts and do laundry more often than have a dozen ill fitting ones.

coopster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despot
I am 5'11'' 200lbs. I could lose a few pounds according to my ideal BMI...

I have been taught that the whole BMI formula is archaic with no real practical use.

I guess it could be somewhat acturate for the "normal" person who does not weighttrain or condition. But once you start gaining muscle mass it skews the whole scale.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coopster
I have been taught that the whole BMI formula is archaic with no real practical use.

It has practical use for population level analysis, but isn't so useful at the individual level.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Start throwing up after you eat.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
I honestly can't believe you acknowledge being fat and at the same time refuse to work on it and succumb to using fashion to try to hide it. Lack of ambition FTL

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
It has practical use for population level analysis, but isn't so useful at the individual level.

That's what I was taught in undergrad yet it is used in the hospital setting for individuals.
confused.gif

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you - kind of. 6' tall and hover around 190lbs. I am not fat (that isme in my avtar) but do have some love handles. OTR stuff tends to fit rather poorly on me and is too big in waist. I have my shirts made and my jackets tailored. Good fit makes all the difference.

Even if you lost 15lbs you would still need you clothes worked on or buy new stuff.

here is shot of suit before it was tailored and after:

newsuit0001aq6.jpg

img9769ye8.jpg

as you can see - same guy but a good fit took about 20lbs off me and made me a few inches taller.

atomicranch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
I am in the same boat as you - kind of. 6' tall and hover around 190lbs. I am not fat (that isme in my avtar) but do have some love handles. OTR stuff tends to fit rather poorly on me and is too big in waist. I have my shirts made and my jackets tailored. Good fit makes all the difference.

Even if you lost 15lbs you would still need you clothes worked on or buy new stuff.

here is shot of suit before it was tailored and after:

as you can see - same guy but a good fit took about 20lbs off me and made me a few inches taller.

That's an amazing before-and-after comparison, and a great example on the importance of fit. I'm going to show it to some of my more ill-dressed friends.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despot
I am 5'11'' 200lbs...To be honest I don't look bad with my shirt off.
We'll be the judge of that, Tubby.
wink.gif
Post some pix and face the music.

It may partly be just me being self concious so maybe I should just lose the 15lbs and not worry about the clothes?
You wouldn't be framing the question this way if you didn't already know the answer. Obviously, you can either camouflage your physique with good tailoring and clever clothing choices or you can drop the excess weight. One of those options will not only make you look better, it will make you healthier. Choose that one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads