• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to heat up a pan?

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you heat up your pan first before adding butter or do you heat up your pan and butter together? And, does the same apply if you use olive oil instead of butter?

I never heated the pan separately before reading about the importance of that technique. However, I also noticed in the same book, some recipes required you to heat the pan first and other recipes required you to heat the pan and butter together.

Is there some general rule when you should heat the pan?

I was thinking that you might only need to heat the pan first if you wanted to get the browning process on your meats, to get a crunchy crust on those dishes. But, James Beard's recipe for scrambled eggs tells you to heat the pan first over medium heat even though you're not going to brown anything. And, of course, this differs from Cook's Illustrated which tells you to put butter in 10 inch skillet and then set the pan over high heat.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I normally use olive oil to cook and the way I was taught was to use both together at the same time. Once you begin to notice a slight haze or smoke, that tells you the pan is heated up enough to start cooking evenly.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It does not make a significant difference though I think letting the oil warm slowly with the pan will result in marginally less burning than dropping it in when the pan is very hot.

It has no bearing on browning. All you need is hot oil to brown. A hot pan and cold oil will not work.

Perhaps you are confusing this issue with when to add the ingredients? The answer then is to only add them when the oil is near smoking, unless for some reason you did not want any browning.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I forget where I read this (Saveur?), and what the precise reason was, but it's best to slightly heat the pan before adding oil (but not so much that the oil smokes). Rather than flowing out to the edges of the pan when poured (which is what happens when the pan is cold), oil added to a properly heated pan will tend to stay in a puddle in the middle of the pan so that you will need to tilt it in order to get the oil to cover the entire surface...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I read that for non-stick pans you should have something in them before heating - be it oil or butter. The non-stick coating can give off fumes at high temps - not normally found while cooking - but if you put a fairly light pan on the heat and get distracted, the pan could hit these temps and start fuming. The oil or butter will delay that.

Normally I'm a skeptic, but this comes from Cook's so I'm inclined to believe it.

mizanation

Reaction score
i always heat the pan first, in asian cooking it's usually the modus operandi. food sticks less when you heat up the pan before adding oil. also, the oil will be easier to spread around in the pan.

using olive oil with butter is a great way to get the butter flavor, but also be able to use slightly higher heat (the milk solids in the butter burn easily).

Andrew V.

Reaction score
The only instance in which I've heard that it's important to heat the pan first is when stir-frying in a proper cast-iron or carbon-steel wok. Supposedly the secret to good stir-fry is "hot pan, cold oil".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads