• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get that nice roll on shirt collars

pablo

Reaction score
I find smallest collar stays - ones about half the collar length - create this effect. The small stays add weight at the collar's edge and help bend the collar.

Reborn

Reaction score
I think this also has something to do with collar height.

Low collars can cause the points to run along the collar bones and give that splayed out wide look.

All of Spoo's collars have enough height that the points will naturally fall down instead of getting pushed out. The points also reach under his lapels which will give some resistance to help cause that bowing look.

I think a lower collar would have his points sliding all the way under the lapels instead of butting up against them.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
This.
Ok, well I have Kiton, Borrelli, Isaia, Brioni, Cuccinelli, etc and cant seem to get it to work, so ya, that's 1/2 the battle, but there's more. Also, some of my English shirts (T & A, Harvie & Hudson, etc) should do it. I think the mistakes I have been making have been stays that are too long and not knotting the knot high enough on the collar.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you lay on your back and rest a grapefruit in between your clavicles and knot your tie over the grapefruit you should be ok.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
If you lay on your back and rest a grapefruit in between your clavicles and knot your tie over the grapefruit you should be ok.

Was about to pull a FTFY, but realized you may be serious

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
First of all you need a really good spread. If you don't have a wide enough spread it will aid in airplane wings.

can someone explain this or post a picture? google was of no help.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBSLM
can someone explain this or post a picture? google was of no help.
Picture this without the Harry Connick wannabe, no jacket, buttoned 1 from the top, and imagine you were at work...
1996-floppy-collars-lg-56259093.jpg

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Ok, well I have Kiton, Borrelli, Isaia, Brioni, Cuccinelli, etc and cant seem to get it to work, so ya, that's 1/2 the battle, but there's more. Also, some of my English shirts (T & A, Harvie & Hudson, etc) should do it.

I think the mistakes I have been making have been stays that are too long and not knotting the knot high enough on the collar.

IME the shorter pliable collar stays that come standard with the likes of Barba, Finamore, Borrelli et al (as mentioned upthread) can be of great use. The pliability is an afterthought, but they are 75% the length of a "full" stay. Did yours not have these?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Ok, well I have Kiton, Borrelli, Isaia, Brioni, Cuccinelli, etc and cant seem to get it to work, so ya, that's 1/2 the battle, but there's more. Also, some of my English shirts (T & A, Harvie & Hudson, etc) should do it.

I think the mistakes I have been making have been stays that are too long and not knotting the knot high enough on the collar.

Well, the only shirts I have that do that are my big spread collar Borrelli shirts. None of my other ones do that. I don't do anything different with my ties. Not a coincidence.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirts with a nice roll are nice. But they need a larger curve on the front edge to counter the appearance of a reverse curve.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoo needs to post a youtube instructional video on his impeccable shirt collars.

worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads