• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to communicate what you want to your tailor aka any technically minded persons in the house?

Leiito

Reaction score
So I'm enamored with this @lucamuseo guy's style as well some Casa del Sarto's, but how do I best communicate I want jackets like this
to my tailor? He seems a bit curve-weary, last time he asked me to draw how I want the skirt curved. Is this in the pictures something that can be converted into angles and technically drawn and what not and then printed out and replicated on cloth? How hard is it for a tailor to replicate this curve?
Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 17.12.56.png

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 17.13.34.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 17.13.34.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 17.13.34.png
    939.6 KB · Views: 48

krudsma

Reaction score
I think it depends on how close that is to your tailor's house style. It's easy to just strike out a different shape for the quarters, but if it's not something your tailor is used to doing then it might not come out the way you hope. Is it an Italian tailor? If not I wouldn't ask him to try and match this style, I'd try and find a tailor who does something similar to this already.

Leiito

Reaction score
It's a 180 from my tailor's "house style", he's technically proficient but his style isn't much to write home about.

And he's the only tailor around. And he's not Italian, no, if anything he's Hungarian.

Leiito

Reaction score
Italian as stye-wise, not nationality 😆
Also, you should show these images to him and ask him if he can do it.
Obviously, I was thinking if there's a way to "copy-paste" the curvature from a photo to a cloth?
No, he's not Italian in any way that I know.

krudsma

Reaction score
Obviously, I was thinking if there's a way to "copy-paste" the curvature from a photo to a cloth?
No, he's not Italian in any way that I know.
Nope nothing like that exists, your best bet would be to show him those photos and have him approximate that curve. Keep in mind, however, that there's a lot more that goes into the way that jacket looks than that one curve - the structure is softer, the lapel doesn't have a hard break, etc. That )( hourglass shape that the foreparts make is very specific to Florentine tailoring, I don't know how easily the average tailor can re-create it. Do you live near a major city? You could always wait for a trunk show.

Leiito

Reaction score
I'll do just that, I just thought there might be a way to make it easier. He does a very similar hourglass shape and he can do nice soft shoulders, he had an international career, that beautiful lapel to quarters curve, though, we'll see. But I get what you mean, if he doesn't have the skill, or the experience, it might come out even worse than his "house style".

I'm 400 clicks from Vienna, bit less from Venice, Italy, I don't know of any trunk shows coming up in the neighborhood and I got some nice cloths coming in.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you shown him this picture?
Have you asked his opinion about styling a jacket like this?
Leave it to him of how to replicate the shapes you want. He’s doing the work and may not appreciate your help.

At best you will get an approximate reproduction rather than an identical twin.

Lower your expectations.
Rare that a tailor can execute in a way that’s different from his natural repertoire.

Last edited:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you shown him this picture?
Have you asked his opinion about styling a jacket like this?
Leave it to him of how to replicate the shapes you want. He’s doing the work and may not appreciate your help.

At best you will get an approximate reproduction rather than an identical twin.

Lower your expectations.
Rare that a tailor can execute in a way that’s different from his natural repertoire.

The only thing I’ve learned in all these wasted years on the internet is that you should not be asking a tailor to do something he does not normally do. What you should do is find a tailor that works in the style you are looking for. I know it comes off as elitist in a sense but shaping and cutting clothing is an art form, someone can be very good at it technically but lack the knowledge of how to style a garment.

If you do not access to a tailor that cuts clothes in this manner, I would seriously consider ready to wear.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only thing I’ve learned in all these wasted years on the internet is that you should not be asking a tailor to do something he does not normally do. What you should do is find a tailor that works in the style you are looking for. I know it comes off as elitist in a sense but shaping and cutting clothing is an art form, someone can be very good at it technically but lack the knowledge of how to style a garment.

If you do not access to a tailor that cuts clothes in this manner, I would seriously consider ready to wear.
Internet wisdom
@edmorel

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads