• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how much to ship shoes to tokyo?

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I listed a pair of shoes on ebay with a flat $15 shipping fee. Someone in tokyo purchased the shoes and has requested an invoice. Anyone have an idea how much it will cost to get him the shoes?

tia,

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The USPS shipping calculator on their site is usually fairly good at giving you the correct price.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks guys....I had actually looked at the calculator but didn't want to get it wrong on the invoice and then go back to him for more money...

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its going to cost you between 30 and 40 for priority. you might be able to get under 30 for slow airmail parcel.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They no longer offer "parcel"- your options are priority or express
Just to Japan maybe? I've shipped overseas using the regular first-class/air-mail many times.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
I believe priority and first class international are one in the same

Strange. They always show up as seperate services to me; the latter requires you to see an agent and buy postage/stamps in person instead of online/electronically.

Anyway, if the OP decides to use 1st-class, it's almost always necessary to purchase the added "Registered Mail" service, which will bring the price up to Priority level anyway...

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but if they are different, they both take about the same time and cost about the same. My point was just that there is no economy shipping available now. Cost of shipping shoes to Japan is gonna be ~$36.

navysuede

Reaction score
Around fifty dollars and once it gets there they'll have to pay a customs charge..
I know that will not be your problem but it is good to know for future ref.I sold
a pair of boots to a lady in Japan and the shipping alone was $115.00.
Good Luck

navysuede

Reaction score
Also...might be a good idea to list flat shipping rates within continental USA.. Shipping outside that area is unpredictable and very costly.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
shipping via usps global priority is definitely costly to anywhere to the other side of the world.

35-40 dollars.

i always mark it gift and at $50 or below declared value for them if they request it to avoid custom.

usps usually avoids custom duty anyways.

the thing is, some ignorant buyers on ebay always complain to me , "why do you charge so much for shipping to Hong Kong or Germany?"

"i buy stuff all the time from america and you are the first to have to pay $40 "

whatever you idiot. it costs me freaking $40 not counting all the headache i have to go through at the post office and the 4% paypal fee they dock off the ship price you pay me on top of that.
so i am losing money even charging you $40 you idiot.

go buy from someone else.

i rather have less, but more intelligent buyers.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
I could be wrong but if they are different, they both take about the same time and cost about the same. My point was just that there is no economy shipping available now. Cost of shipping shoes to Japan is gonna be ~$36.

Not true on either cases. Here's what the USPS shipping calculator gives me for shipping a 4lbs package to Japan:
72uvhmr.jpg

Delivery time:
Priority International: 6-10 business days.
1st class International: ~ 8-21 business days.(unofficial estimation)

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said, they still have regular air mail for parcels (they call it first class). Its about 30% cheaper.

USPS can do a lot of things but I don't think they can justify forcing you to use an expedited, expensive service like Priority for international.

That said, I still use Priority for all international shipments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads