• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much chest hair to show?

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With a no-tie combo, how much chest hair should be exposed to achieve a Tom Selleck look (girls dig that) without looking like a gorilla?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One button undone other than the neck button. At least, that is what I do. You have to realize that a great many men on here shave their bodies, or revel in their girlish hairlessness, so most will tell you that displaying chest hair is wrong. Not only are they incorrect, but most of them are virgins, or at least play the role of virgin most of the year.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
One button undone other than the neck button. At least, that is what I do. You have to realize that a great many men on here shave their bodies, or revel in their girlish, hairlessness, so most will tell you that displaying chest hair is wrong. Not only are they incorrect, but most of them are virgins, or at least play the role of virgin most of the year.

+1

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One button undone other than the neck button. At least, that is what I do. You have to realize that a great many men on here shave their bodies, or revel in their girlish, hairlessness, so most will tell you that displaying chest hair is wrong. Not only are they incorrect, but most of them are virgins, or at least play the role of virgin most of the year.

Words can not describe how happy I was seeing a thread titled "How much chest hair to show" with iammatt as the sole respondent.
crackup[1].gif

Real answer depends on how much you've got, but generally just one button other than the neck like matt said.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chest hair is on its way back. Thank God.

Edit - Not that you should undo more than one button or wear a medallion.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think that in this day and age, you can lose the whole shirt.

There are strong feelings on this subject, but I like to think that there is a point of compromise that would fit in with the whole StyleForvm ethos. These three pics were in WAYWRN just this past week:

t69zlg.jpg

mrcn4l.jpg

2h4kvnq.jpg

- B

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only jealous smooth men argue that girls don't like chest hair.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I leave one button below the collar button undone. But I am naturally hairless--I blame affirmative action.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think chest hair is a good decorative solution for those of you who aren't fit. A good rule of thumb, according to Apparel Arts illustrations is to keep body hair no longer than the hair on your head (if you have any on your head.)

Plus (and this comes directly from the new AAAC Bespoke Forum): chest/back hair and shorn scrote DO NOT mix...unless you are Turkish. Wise words.

- B

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was thinking of shaving rings around my legs for the beach this summer, kind of a retro thing but I'd be bold about it and go all the way to the ankles... no point doing it half way, plus the balance would be off if I just did my thighs.
418tattooman4c.jpg
Thoughts?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One button undone other than the neck button. At least, that is what I do. You have to realize that a great many men on here shave their bodies, or revel in their girlish hairlessness, so most will tell you that displaying chest hair is wrong. Not only are they incorrect, but most of them are virgins, or at least play the role of virgin most of the year.

Definitely agree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads