• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many..

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
its one of those excersizes like LAguy said that has a lot to do with body type etc and being used to that type of excersize. similiar to chin ups etc. taller heavier people with longer hands have a harder time etc.

I think that it has a lot to do with core strength, practice and honestly, just genetic predisposition. I am 5'11" and have a long reach. I'm not a pullup monster (maxed out at 16 in one set the other day). But I can do dips and pushups all day long. Also, I can plank nearly indefinitely, and because of years and years of traditional martial arts before getting into kickboxing and MMA, I can do a wall sit for a long time too, something a lot of very fit guys used to dynamic exercises really have a hard time with. On the other hand, I've never benched more than 235 lbs, though I regularly dumbbell bench 180 lbs x 10. For some reason, my dumbbell press always increased, but I kept on maxing out at 2 plates a side. I think that you are born with your physical capabilties, and make the best of them.

As a kid, I once did 500 consecutive situps (all the way up, all the way down) to win a cousins situp competition. Of course, the next day, I bowed over, and honestly, could not uncramp for nearly an entire day. My parents thought that maybe I had apendicitis or something. No, just a cramp from doing a crapload of situps in a row.

Did not do any today. Was tired when I got to the gym. Never really got into my rhythm, so it was a "take-it-easy" workout day. Come Wednesday night or so, you guys will thank me when you have THE NEW STYLEFORUM.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by West24
its one of those excersizes like LAguy said that has a lot to do with body type etc and being used to that type of excersize. similiar to chin ups etc. taller heavier people with longer hands have a harder time etc.

I think that it has a lot to do with core strength, practice and honestly, just genetic predisposition. I am 5'11" and have a long reach. I'm not a pullup monster (maxed out at 16 in one set the other day). But I can do dips and pushups all day long. Also, I can plank nearly indefinitely, and because of years and years of traditional martial arts before getting into kickboxing and MMA, I can do a wall sit for a long time too, something a lot of very fit guys used to dynamic exercises really have a hard time with. On the other hand, I've never benched more than 235 lbs, though I regularly dumbbell bench 180 lbs x 10. For some reason, my dumbbell press always increased, but I kept on maxing out at 2 plates a side. I think that you are born with your physical capabilties, and make the best of them.

As a kid, I once did 500 consecutive situps (all the way up, all the way down) to win a cousins situp competition. Of course, the next day, I bowed over, and honestly, could not uncramp for nearly an entire day. My parents thought that maybe I had apendicitis or something. No, just a cramp from doing a crapload of situps in a row.

Did not do any today. Was tired when I got to the gym. Never really got into my rhythm, so it was a "take-it-easy" workout day. Come Wednesday night or so, you guys will thank me when you have THE NEW STYLEFORUM.
I freakin' hate planks. I'd rather to L-Sits or hanging knees to elbows - probably because they're much easier.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
I can do:

Push-ups = 50

Dips = 35.

Pull-ups = 12

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I freakin' hate planks. I'd rather to L-Sits or hanging knees to elbows - probably because they're much easier.

If your doing proper L sits, not a hanging leg raise then they're significantly harder then planks.

Since I started working out properly the number of push ups I can do has went down greatly. Used to be able to do 80 in a set and now I could do maybe 30 at most, they hurt my chest and not in a good way, in a my diaphragm is being torn open kind of way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads