• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many suits do you really NEED vs. OWN?

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Tom Ford is great, although it took me a while to warm up to it. I wear a 42/52R, but the shoulders are too wide and padded for me. I'd like to acquire 3 or 4 more. As to the spalla camicia....to each their own. The modern Attolini spalla camicia is rather subtle, and from what I've seen, and the same can be said for Isaia. I think Attolini strikes the perfect balance between soft shoulders and structure. Kiton, Orazio Luciano and others go out of their way to exaggerate that feature. Its ok for me...no big deal.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
I would also like to try Borrelli, and Boglioli. I had a Sartoria Partenopea, but I gave it away. I wouldn't mind acquiring one or two SPs in the future.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always found this thread interesting, because it demonstrates how people are defining "need" for themselves.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
I always found this thread interesting, because it demonstrates how people are defining "need" for themselves.

Hello Nobilis Animus. As I mentioned before, I don't need to wear suits at all. None of my colleagues wear suits, and when I ventured into consulting for a few years, most of my colleagues wore shirts and ties. I was the only one who consistently wore suits.

For me, its about artistic appreciation. The designers and tailors who work for the high end fashion houses and bespoke tailors are artists, and I appreciate their talent.

Over the next 3 years, I would like to acquire 9 more suits. An even 40 sounds about right to me.
Definitely more Tom Ford, which will hopefully be 3-piece suits, as I only have one 3 piece Attolini.
I would also like to acquire some linen mixture suits, since all of my suits are wool or wool/silk.
The important thing is to acquire a nice variety....I have 3 solid navy suits of various shades...why would I buy more?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Nobilis Animus. As I mentioned before, I don't need to wear suits at all. None of my colleagues wear suits, and when I ventured into consulting for a few years, most of my colleagues wore shirts and ties. I was the only one who consistently wore suits.

For me, its about artistic appreciation. The designers and tailors who work for the high end fashion houses and bespoke tailors are artists, and I appreciate their talent.

Over the next 3 years, I would like to acquire 9 more suits. An even 40 sounds about right to me.
Definitely more Tom Ford, which will hopefully be 3-piece suits, as I only have one 3 piece Attolini.
I would also like to acquire some linen mixture suits, since all of my suits are wool or wool/silk.
The important thing is to acquire a nice variety....I have 3 solid navy suits of various shades...why would I buy more?

Right, what I meant was that there are some who would say that they don't need anything if work doesn't require it, which I personally find a bit odd, but very interesting.

I do tend to like three-piece suits as well, and I have three or so because of that. I probably own 9-10 suits, and I'd say I need all of them.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Yeah..."need" is highly subjective. I suppose "desire" would be a better word to describe my inclinations. I'm obviously addicted, not only to the process of searching for beautiful suits at discount prices, but the process of tailoring them, and appreciating the finished product.

What motivates our desires? Now that is a deep and probably unanswerable question, and self-reflection is not necessarily the best barometer for reaching an answer. However, I wear suits to feel good and because I love the artistry involved. Beyond that, women love a well dressed man. I should probably put that reason first. ;)

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
There may be a "hoarding" element to why I desire more suits.

Honestly, I blame all you guys on SF for my irrational desires. For years I've been reading posts like:

"I went to Naples, where I stayed at the Palazzo Alabardieri, and had jewel-encrusted strawberries and truffles for breakfast, and where I bought 4 Kiton suits at double the retail price and had 5 bespoke suits made at Tofani, Caliendo and Enzo Carfora for $10,000 per suit." :oops: :oops: :eek2:

I think to myself....first, what do these guys do for a living? And second, what the hell?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of those posters are gone. These days I am finding it increasingly difficult to believe that many SF members even own suits, much less wear them.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Really? What happened to those guys? I really enjoyed their posts. It took me 7 years to join SF, but I've enjoyed all the debates and the willingness of SF members to explore every aspect of being a well dressed gentleman.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is a lot that goes into the disappearance of the older Whales per se.
Partly the decline of suits on Wall Street, the emergence of tech, and the fall of the suit in general has attributed to the decline of such stories.
I also think that past a certain point they can only tell the same stories so many times.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
I think there is a lot that goes into the disappearance of the older Whales per se.
Partly the decline of suits on Wall Street, the emergence of tech, and the fall of the suit in general has attributed to the decline of such stories.
I also think that past a certain point they can only tell the same stories so many times.

Yes...I think you're right. Suits are worn on Wall Street with much lower frequency. A shirt and tie is the new standard. As for the stories, I thought they were great. If I cannot afford that lifestyle, at least I can live vicariously through those who can.

I will be wearing suits for the rest of my life. One day, the suit will make a come back. I watch old movies from the 40s, 50s, and 60s, and not that much has changed. A well-tailored suit is still the way a gentlemen should dress.

Also, the discarding of the suit by the professional class has led to a fall in their prices in several venues. Not bad at all.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, prices have droped. Bespoke is available at better price points etc.

Last time I was in Midtown manhattan, I was wearing a blazer, tie, and slacks, and I looked overdressed. No suits.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Age may also be a factor.

If a young man below 30 is wearing a suit, it now seems incongruous, but if senior management or a middle aged man wears a suit, he looks classically dressed. Increasingly, I've seen partners in the consulting industry wear a sports coat with no tie.

Don't worry gentleman, in 10 years the suit will make a come back....or else people will start wearing pajamas to work. ha ha. Actually, I suspect that at least 30% of professionals now working from home will not return to the office or return infrequently. So pajamas may be the new professional fashion trend.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Many of the older members are still around or posting elsewhere on the internet. A few started clothing businesses. Of the guys who made a trip to Naples, I think only one has stopped wearing tailored clothing (Foo).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads