• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many people do I have to kill?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Exclusive: LIVE-ACTION 'COWBOY BEBOP' MOVIE IS IN THE WORKS

Producer Erwin Stoff reveals that he is developing a live-action adaptation of the iconic anime for Fox

By CHARLENE CHENG, News Editor
Published 7/22/2008

THE SKINNY: If anybody is in the mood for some exhilarating, long-anticipated, previously-unannounced breaking news about anime series COWBOY BEBOP, iF Magazine has the exclusive scoop for you.

We caught up with producer-extraordinaire Erwin Stoff at the NBC TCAs where he was promoting his upcoming updated-David-and-Goliath-based show KINGS. When asked about other projects he is currently working on, Stoff, let slip some very juicy news about a very beloved anime franchise.

"I'm developing COWBOY BEBOP for Fox, but doing it as a live-action film, so I'm working on that at the moment," Stoff tells iF. "I'm really excited to be working on it, and it's in the really early stages. We just signed it the other day."

Before any of you BEBOP fanboys/fangirls get your skivvies in a twist about yet another questionable anime-to-human adaptation (see: DRAGONBALL), iF made sure to get an oath of fidelity to the original material from Stoff.

"I have such an enormous admiration for its creators, that our first and foremost concern is going to be a real degree of faithfulness to the tone of the movie, to the mix of genres, and so on and so forth," he says. "When I met with them in Japan, one of the first things that I brought up was the experience that we had on A SCANNER DARKLY, and how hard we worked to remain faithful to Philip K. Dick, and that was our big concern here."

For those skeptical about the casting possibilities, Stoff has the following to say: "Flak about choices is meaningless until people see the movie," he notes. "When people see the movie, then criticism has a place in it."

Does Stoff think that American audiences that aren't familiar with the anime will have trouble getting aboard?

"No, I really don't think they will," says Scoff. "I think they haven't [gotten aboard] with the anime because it's had limited exposure - it's just been on Adult Swim, and so on. I think the ability to tell this larger frame - the ability to build a world that's iconically American in its Western nature - I don't think so at all."

...if they screw this up... I will hunt them down. I swear.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
They're going to ******* up.

+1. It's going to come out looking like Babylon 5 or some ****.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why? why? why!?!?
plain.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, since we can expect this to suck, and since it's been an ongoing discussion between Slim, me, and a few of our friends for years now... who plays who in the movie?

Spike: ?? Goldblum? Cusack? (both minus 20 years).. I think Ratboy is the best choice I've seen, actually.
Faye: ?? Rachel Weisz?
Jet: Mickey Rourke ala Sin City?
Edward: some child actor
etc.

I can't remember who my choices were now.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how the hell is anyone gonna pull off his curly hair.....properly.

they are going to ******* up for sure

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While it mostly like will suck, this has potential to be awesome.

It seems that as the potential rises, the possibility of suck also increases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads