• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How y'all's AARP membership treating you? Excited to avail yourselves again of the Early Bird Dinner Special at Tony Roma's?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9 miles on the dot this morning on trail network west of my house. The entire trail is about 60+ miles and I was on the newest few miles that just opened up last fall. I made it to the western terminus for the first time and I think now over the years I've run the entire trail.

My employer is involved in the purchase of more ROW to extend the trail and the next segment will extend it a few more miles and connect it to a big park with it's own extensive trail network. This is an east-west trail and there are agencies working all across the state to make the trail connect uninterrupted from Lake Michigan to Lake St. Clair (a small, by Michigan standards) lake on the east side of Michigan between Lake Huron and the Detroit River.

Got up at the crack of dawn again today, this time for an 8.2km (a hair over 5 mile) tempo.

It was humid but it's clouding over, and everything feels like this hot weather going to break soon... I felt quite good today though, and although I was running in a very controlled way, I was still considerably faster than my recent tempo runs (this was the shortest one I've done recently, which no doubt helps).

Overall: 0:34:20, or 4:11/km.

It was humid here this morning but a little cooler than it has been. I finished my run just before the rain started. It's about 20 degrees cooler right now than it was this same time yesterday morning, but it's still muggy out there.

@FlyingMonkey - You're in the Toronto area? Maybe the cooler weather that arrived here this morning will work it's way across Southern Ontario to you soon.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got in a tempo run this morning. Weather was nice at 5:45 a.m., coming in at low 60’s with about 70% humidity.

Did 8 total miles. One mile warm up followed by 6 miles at tempo and 1 mile cool down. Overall pace was 6:55/mile. The 6 mile tempo section was at about 6:40/mile.

I run with a Garmin 45. Anyone else here have the same watch? Curious on your thoughts on its HR accuracy. I have never used a chest HR monitor. I feel my watch clocks in high. For example, today it had me at a 180 avg. HR., with VO2 max of 51.

Last edited:

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Michigan Planner Does that trail have streets running north and south along it? We have a local running trail, but it drives me nuts because every quarter mile or so there is a street, and most are pretty busy, causing you to have to stop pretty often. It’s even worse when cycling.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Michigan Planner Does that trail have streets running north and south along it? We have a local running trail, but it drives me nuts because every quarter mile or so there is a street, and most are pretty busy, causing you to have to stop pretty often. It’s even worse when cycling.

For as busy of an area as this is, there aren't many roads crossing it. In some areas, it's more than a mile between crossings. Most of the trail is an old rail line so there were limited crossings to begin with. Our offices has also worked with a few non-profits and the state DOT to get grants for improved pedestrian crossings (more signage, HAWK beacons, better striping on the ground and other traffic calming devices). A big project we worked on a couple of years ago was building a pedestrian bridge to extend the trail over an 8-lane highway.

A little side note - the bridge that we helped fund also connects that trail network to the I-275 Metro Trail which is a trail along Interstate 275 on the west side of the Detroit suburbs and might be the only interstate that was built with a bike lane.

There's another trail network (the Paint Creek and Polly Ann trails) further east that extends north from the trail I was on today that is usually much busier with runners and cyclists. That network has more frequent road crossings to navigate and some of those crossings have a lot more traffic to deal with. It is a more scenic trail though so I guess it's a trade off.

Metro Detroit has a pretty extensive trail network. Our trails are just flat and not very interesting.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got in a tempo run this morning. Weather was nice at 5:45coming in at low 60’s with about 70% humidity.

Did 8 total miles. One mile warm up followed by 6 miles at tempo and 1 mile cool down. Overall pace was 6:55/mile. The 6 mile temple section was at about 6:40/mile.

I run with a Garmin 45. Anyone else here have the same watch? Curious on your thoughts on its HR accuracy. I have never used a chest HR monitor. I feel my watch clocks in high. For example, today it had me at a 180 avg. HR., with VO2 max of 51.

I have a 45 as well and haven't checked it against a strap. Currently I am sitting at a HR of 44 while typing this but think somehow my arm hair messes with it. I am at a VO2 Max of 55 according to this thing and my HR was a max of 155 yesterday. I doubt any of this is super accurate.

As for trails, there is an expanded trail at a park I don't get to very often that I'd like to check out. It seems a lot of the trail runners I follow on Strava have made their way over there during the pandemic. The short section that we used to run had some good climb then a flat section to really stretch the legs.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got in a tempo run this morning. Weather was nice at 5:45coming in at low 60’s with about 70% humidity.

Did 8 total miles. One mile warm up followed by 6 miles at tempo and 1 mile cool down. Overall pace was 6:55/mile. The 6 mile temple section was at about 6:40/mile.

i have a 45 as well. i interpret the heart rate and cadence as a suggestion ha.

5 easy easy miles yesterday at a 9:30 pace.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were you chasing the clouds away?
and it felt so good!

Got up at the crack of dawn again today, this time for an 8.2km (a hair over 5 mile) tempo.

It was humid but it's clouding over, and everything feels like this hot weather going to break soon... I felt quite good today though, and although I was running in a very controlled way, I was still considerably faster than my recent tempo runs (this was the shortest one I've done recently, which no doubt helps).

Overall: 0:34:20, or 4:11/km.

Damn you are fast! Do you warm-up or anything? Just straight into 6:40 miles?

That's right around my current threshold pace...probably 7:05-7:15 (4:25-4:31km) for tempo. I'm only at ~30 miles per week.

How y'all's AARP membership treating you? Excited to avail yourselves again of the Early Bird Dinner Special at Tony Roma's?

I just can't justify the $16/yr anymore. Too rich for my blood. 8 years worth of membership is about 1 pair of shoes that I might put 150 miles in before donating.

Got in a tempo run this morning. Weather was nice at 5:45 a.m., coming in at low 60’s with about 70% humidity.

Did 8 total miles. One mile warm up followed by 6 miles at tempo and 1 mile cool down. Overall pace was 6:55/mile. The 6 mile tempo section was at about 6:40/mile.

I've read that the optical HR has a lot to do with your complexion, where and how tightly it's affixed to your wrist, and arm hair. Also heard that for some people the HR readings lock into their cadence, reporting some crazy values.

I've been using the Fenix series for years and thankfully my wrist HR is damn close to the readings I get from a Polar H10 chest strap. The main differences being in response rate...The chest strap seems to track rise/falls just a bit faster than the wrist. For my intents and purposes (just a general data-point normalized over time) the differences are negligible. As long as the readings are consistent I don't get too concerned.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it’s official, Boston 2020 is cancelled and the race will be “virtual”. Bummer, but from the FAQs, looks like times can carry over to the 2021 race, which would make sense given that there have been such few qualifying races in 2020.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, it’s official, Boston 2020 is cancelled and the race will be “virtual”. Bummer, but from the FAQs, looks like times can carry over to the 2021 race, which would make sense given that there have been such few qualifying races in 2020.

The Peachtree Road Race was pushed to Thanksgiving but....yeah i aint cramming in with (potentially) 60k other folks this year. They are allowing for virtual 10ks and still giving thosr participants the shirt.

(In Atlanta the PRR is one of The Events for the city and wearing the shirt is definitely a point of pride and societal recognition that doesn't happen with other races).

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sam as it ever was
15907046275711265424548539555776.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn you are fast! Do you warm-up or anything? Just straight into 6:40 miles?

That's right around my current threshold pace...probably 7:05-7:15 (4:25-4:31km) for tempo. I'm only at ~30 miles per week.

Why, thank-you, but I was probably a little bit too fast this time. I should be about 4:15 - 4:20.

I don't do my tempo runs 'right' at all. @Man with Apple does them better. Rather than warm up as such, I just 'wind up' from a standing start to the pace that feels right over the course of about a km, then try to sustain that for the duration. I don't really warm down either, I just do dynamic stretches afterwards.

My average weekly distance this month has been 61km (38 miles). Not huge. I only run 4 days a week quite deliberately because I'm getting older and if I need to rest in between runs so I lessen the chance of injuries. You take longer to recover from injury the older you get. And every run I do has a specific purpose these days. I could just 'go for a run' every day and do a lot more distance in any week, which is what I used to do, but I would be less fit and a worse runner.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8.1 this evening at ~8:10 pace, 145BPM average HR. Mid 80's and humid -- feeling a lot more comfortable with the heat. Garmin's algorithm projects heat acclimatization and has me at 80% adjusted. I don't know how it's doing the math...but sounds agreeable.

Oh, and I found this cool turtle when I was running some grass strides at the end.

5EC7468C-E096-4609-8694-494F77167566.jpeg

That's awesome @FlyingMonkey , I am envious. I don't think I could just roll out at that pace without winding up injured, but I know plenty of people like yourself who do so successfully. Just goes to show we're all built a little different.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads