• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Many Heavy Drinkers?

billiebob

Reaction score
At least 30 drinks a week. Wish I could get that down to less. Consumption tends to run in cycles. I'll have a few years on then a few years off. Seems uncorrelated with stress, but definitely related to how social I choose to be. I have many different groups of friends, none of whom drink a lot, but hanging out with a different group every night is a real killer.

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lawman
I am re-reading John O'Hara's Appointment in Samarra, and am once again amazed at the level of drinking that goes on in old novels with complete acceptance (Thin Man/Hammett, Chandler novels, etc.). I think I'm considered by most to be a pretty heavy drinker, at least in terms of my neighborhood, but I'd have been a lightweight back in the 1930s. Drinking lots has become so unfashionable, at least in the circles I run in. How do you guys stack up, and what are your experiences?

I would say I'm in the league of Nick Charles with a sweet "Nora" at my side but we don't have an 'Asta' to carry around the martini shaker, rather, a pompous Himalayan and Weimaraner seem to be up to the task. The drink seems to veer more on that of good Malts too. Bombay Sapphire's are preferred during flight to some distant locale, as the altitude seems to make an important and effective difference.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's actually some comfort in knowing that other people drink quite a bit too...

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a horrible lightweight, couldn't stomache much of it anyways.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I'm trying to take some time off drinking. So far I am not succeeding (although I did go a week...while I was sick...but hey, it's something).

I don't go out and get like decimated every night, but it occurred to me that I am drinking basically every day. A couple of beers, a couple of glasses of wine, whatever, just every single day. Then on the weekends, I will push the limits a bit, I very rarely get sick or pass out, but every Fri and Sat, yup, I'm drunk. I have no choice, I have an obligation to the How We Roll thread.

Anyhow, all that can't be healthy, so I am going to try to wind in the every night stuff, and try to just drink one night on the weekends. See how this works out for me.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with 1-3 drinks every night. When you think about it, it adds up quickly (one when you get in from office, one with dinner, one after). The problem is when it becomes a bit too much of a habit. I say continue with your daily drinking but see if you can hold off on getting drunk for a few weeks (I think we can manage in the "How I Roll" thread).

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
it's more that Ive been doing the few drinks every night thing for like 4 years....that can't be good for me. Not great for the waistline either....

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I am at home I typically don't drink Mon- Thurs. Occasionally I'll have one drink with dinner. If I am out for work that all changes.

Fri and Sat I typically have one cocktail before dinner (G&T, Dark & Stormy, Martini) a bottle of wine with dinner and then one bourbon after dinner.

Sunday is similar but I usually leave out the bourbon after dinner. That seems to make it easier to get up and still be productive at work on Mon.

Lawman

Reaction score
I guess I invited all these disclosures, and made none myself! Typically I don't drink anything Monday through Friday. Maybe one or two beers if a friend is in town. For years my Saturdays were probably 10 to 12 beer days, and Sundays I'd go 8 to 10.

I have little kids, and my wife isn't very keen on drinking to excess in front of them. As a consequence, my drinking is now limited to occasional road trips, trips home to NY, etc. Of course then I overdo it, and with my tolerance blown to **** I end up hammered pretty damned easily!

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I actually drank very sparingly this summer so I fear my tolerance has dropped to un-Conne levels. Through this past May, I could take care of 3/4 of a liter of bourbon in a night and wake up without a hangover. Gin was tougher because it is so damn sweet. A liter of that usually lasts me a few nights, especially when augmented by scotch or bourbon. I was at our lakehouse over Labor Day weekend and came across a bottle of Dewar's White Label that had apparently been forgotten about. Drank almost half and woke up with a headache (though everything else was fine). Made me frustrated/sad.
angry.gif
frown.gif

Dropping a few spots in the polls wasn't incentive enough for you to start drinking again?

I'm just drinking in celebration.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I drink pretty much any time that I am not working. So, from about 5:00 p.m. until bedtime on weeknights, and all day on Saturday and Sunday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads