• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How important are good table manners in a partner?

dizzhizz

Reaction score
when you live in a country when slurping, talking with food in your mouth, and drinking soup like water is prevalent, good manners are essential.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can watch open surgery, brutal violence, just about anything, while eating. Almost the only thing I can think of that makes me start to gag is bad, slurpy, sloppy eating. Especially eating runny eggs badly. Slurping up noodles and soup in Asian context is no problem, but most of the time, bad eating habits utterly disgust me.

The scene in the diner in Layer Cake is my vicarious vindication, but I can barely get through it (the eating part). The movie Avalon also contains a horrible eating scene I can't bear to watch. Both involve runny eggs.

All that said, I don't care much whether someone knows which knife or fork to use, but it can quickly ruin my meal if I'm eating with someone who has no awareness of his/her habits.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The eating and drinking together part of any relationship is important. You don't need to have the same taste in food and table manner, but the two of you need to be compatible. So yeah I think it's a big deal.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe how superficial everyone here is when it comes to table manners. It is certainly a welcoming feeling because I too am just as superficial. Table manners are important. Treating restaurant staff nicely is important. Etc.

Eagle

Reaction score
I wouldn't dine with a pig, even if she were wearing lipstick!
snork[1].gif

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I can watch open surgery, brutal violence, just about anything, while eating. Almost the only thing I can think of that makes me start to gag is bad, slurpy, sloppy eating. Especially eating runny eggs badly. Slurping up noodles and soup in Asian context is no problem, but most of the time, bad eating habits utterly disgust me.

The scene in the diner in Layer Cake is my vicarious vindication, but I can barely get through it (the eating part). The movie Avalon also contains a horrible eating scene I can't bear to watch. Both involve runny eggs.

All that said, I don't care much whether someone knows which knife or fork to use, but it can quickly ruin my meal if I'm eating with someone who has no awareness of his/her habits.

Would you also pour a whole pot of tea on Freddy for being a slob? I hate being able to hear people chew. My host brothers both chew their miso soup. I have no idea why but I always hear a constant loud hollow toothy chomp noises when I eat with them. Drives me nuts. That and they breathe really loud when they eat. I have eaten with plenty of other Japanese people and neither of these are common practice. Must be some weird Saitama thing or something.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are important for any number of reasons. First, I want a good example for my future children. But most important, honestly, is the fact that bad manners annoy me greatly. I am greatly disturbed by people who open their mouth when they chew.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that bad table manners would disqualify a girl from my interest per se, but it is probably symptomatic of a general lack of class that I would find insufferable.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
If we're sitting at home, watching tv and eating, it's different and I can stand some more. But if I'm shelling out $100 + on a nice place, I expect her to at least eat like a civilized person. Poor table manners really upset me, although I'm sure I practice them from time to time.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot stand people who talk with food in their mouths. I will make certain allowances for cultural differences but this is one I'm not willing to overlook in a female.

The most important part of table manners to me though is how she treats the waiters. If she is rude, then it's a definite no go for any future between us.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually get annoyed when I see OTHER diners with bad table manners. I was once seated by a young couple on a first date and had to ask to move because I couldn't stand their poor table manners... chewing with mouths open, elbows up on the table, gripping their knives. I think what did me in was when the guy asked the girl, "What are capers?" To which she replied, "isn't that when a bad guy robs something?"

TUspiv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
I actually get annoyed when I see OTHER diners with bad table manners. I was once seated by a young couple on a first date and had to ask to move because I couldn't stand their poor table manners... chewing with mouths open, elbows up on the table, gripping their knives. I think what did me in was when the guy asked the girl, "What are capers?" To which she replied, "isn't that when a bad guy robs something?"

Haha....capers....Anyways, bad table manners annoy me too. I was at a restaurant once and was sat next to a bunch of guys who were pretty drunk and kept on trying to hug the waitress and get her to kiss them. She was very visibly annoyed by it. A baby started crying too and they all started crying back. You could tell everyone in the restaurant wanted them to be kicked out, but no one did anything. It wasn't a particularly fancy or expensive restaurant, but nice enough that you shouldn't show up drunk at/harass the waitress and other patrons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads