• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How good is Spier and Mackay?

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it typical for S&M to slow to deliver products? I mean RTW products, not MTM. I ordered a jacket and a pair of trousers from them a couple of weeks ago and received an email that the items had shipped on March 29, including a UPS tracking number. Since then there has been no update to that tracking number. Only an "origin scan" and "UPS has not received the package", on the 29th. Is this typical?

I've only had to wait a while during busy times like Black Friday sales. It's probably a customs issue.

As for the quality of their products, my experience is limited compared with most on this board in terms of high end garments however I do really like Spier. The jackets are nice, my cotton suit is lots of fun, and the full canvas navy suit I have from them is wonderful.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you receive your garment ?
The order that was delayed is presumably lost somewhere between Canada and here. But I did place another order and received it quickly.

majorhancock

Reaction score
I've ordered two shirts and one pair of pants from them OTR and they came within a week (Ontario, I would assume, to Los Angeles,). Very happy with the fit and the quality. I did have a small quibble about the buttonhole width on the shirts, which is about half a millimeter too small, making it sometimes difficult to get the button through. It was a minor inconvenience but they did communicate to me about it via email. Quite a class act outfit IMHO.

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
I own probably 5 or 6 shirts from them, a suit and a sport coat. Basically to me, what they offer vs what you pay is unmatched.
As long as you're realistic about the product and know it's not handsewn in Naples by a maestro tailor and instead it's made in China and patterns cut by machine, etc. then you're fine. Don't expect to get the best ever but instead realize you're getting some very good stuff for incredibly cheap.
Customer service was always great too the few times I ever had to deal with them.

Verve

Reaction score
Like FlyingHorker, I need to order MTM shirts. I’ve tried 2 local makers, but wanted to give either S&M, Proper Cloth, or Luxire a try due to cost to quality comparisons as the local shops charged $200 to $300 depending on fabric.

Will someone please chime in recommendations and/or experiences, especially if you are a difficult fit like me? I figure I would probably try S&M or Proper Cloth first, depending on their Black Friday specials in November if any.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like FlyingHorker, I need to order MTM shirts. I’ve tried 2 local makers, but wanted to give either S&M, Proper Cloth, or Luxire a try due to cost to quality comparisons as the local shops charged $200 to $300 depending on fabric.

Will someone please chime in recommendations and/or experiences, especially if you are a difficult fit like me? I figure I would probably try S&M or Proper Cloth first, depending on their Black Friday specials in November if any.
I use mainly S&M and Proper Cloth now.

I initially switched to mainly Proper Cloth, but I realized a lot of my trial and errors with S&M likely made me better informed with fit issues, so I knew what to look out for. Proper Cloth it was very easy to figure out fit issues.

S&M has better collars though, Cooper Collar and OCBD collars are just better IMO for collar roll.

Verve

Reaction score
I use mainly S&M and Proper Cloth now.

I initially switched to mainly Proper Cloth, but I realized a lot of my trial and errors with S&M likely made me better informed with fit issues, so I knew what to look out for. Proper Cloth it was very easy to figure out fit issues.

S&M has better collars though, Cooper Collar and OCBD collars are just better IMO for collar roll.
Thanks, FH. I just spoke to a customer service rep at S&M, and like PC, S&M has a complimentary remake policy for 1st time customers. That collar roll feature (CK-3 & C-22) looks interesting. I’ll have to give it a try.

Last edited:

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
while there was decent communication the return process was super long and took forever. If I knew one of their jackets would fit me well I'd order more but the one I tried didnt fit and I dont have the patience to deal with the return process.

tmsgks

Reaction score
There are some Youtubers that have reviewed their stuff, you should check them out.

Personally, I have owned both dress trousers and jackets from S&M. I have to say, for the price, they offer stuff that's unmatched on the market. The cut of their jackets is good and has a modern fit, I would say, much better than the cuts of Suitsupply jackets nowadays. In terms of trousers, I find the pleats to be rather small and the rise to be too low, but those are issues found in all RTW items on the market, can't really blame them. Also, their custom program is quite comprehensive, you might want to try it one day once you find your right size. They don't have the fabrics from the most renowned mills, but they are generally good enough.

I suggest you get a sale item to try them out, they do extra 25off all the time on the sale items. If you don't like them, you can return them as long as it isn't a final sale.

How often they offer such discounts?

BlueSteel

Reaction score

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a dedicated Spier thread here if you scroll through it it is mostly feedback on the experiences of members here. Most of them are negative.
I do have a some RTW and MTM garments from them but that was something of the past.
I do see many complain yet they keep purchasing garments from them due to their price point I guess. Logistics nightmares fit issues etc etc.

billsmith

Reaction score
I own a few items and give them high marks for nailing the conservative business dress aesthetic (sort of a poor man's Armoury) and offering a range of sizes. Where the value-for-the-money chickens come home to roost is the fabrics. despite their copywriters waxing poetic about 300 year old mills and flocks of sheep raised by monks, in person they tend to be either flimsier or stiffer than their more expensive competitors. Perhaps next time I'll try something from their higher range.

IKant

Reaction score
'Good enough....to use as an entry level resource if needed, as you build your wardrobe with SM, move towards having fewer more expensive but higher quality pieces that will actually look better as they age. Also, tons of SM items can be had even more cheaply via frequent sales as well as on the secondary market. Overall though, not bad at all for the prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads