• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How far is too far with interview attire?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Granted, we can all agree on the safe choices for interview attire... charcoal or navy suit, black or very dark brown cap toe bals, white shirt, conservative tie, no accessories. But how far can one go before it's going to cause a "why is he wearing that"? Example. I have a whole bunch of law interviews coming up. The first is this coming thursday. To it I will be wearing a light brown / dark beige suit, blue shirt, brown double monks (I posted a picture of the ensemble recently; http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7381/002kwj.jpg). Let's say I wear a charcoal 3 button suit and black plain toe bals, but opt for a lavender shirt? I'll definitely be wearing dark brown semibrogues to at least one of these things. Now personally I don't think any of this would (or will, in such cases as I actually end up doing it) hurt my chances of getting an offer. Does anyone disagree? Would it make you think twice if you were interviewing? Anyone ever wear something a little outside of the norm to an interview of this sort (or something similar)? Discuss.

Blackl3232

Reaction score
It doesn't seem like it should make a difference, but you have to remember how important first impressions are in situations like these, and how much of that is done subconsciously. Personally I wouldn't stray too far from the standard interview attire, just because I don't see a real reason to...doing so probably won't help, but it's possible it could hurt.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Then again...if you have an ass***e interviewing you,
the company wasn't worth working for in the first place.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only time I recall an interviewer getting hung up on clothes was when a noted IT firm told me not to wear a suit under any circumstances.

I think it would depend on the law firm, and probably the clientele they serve also. A little research should help there.

My own thought is if you look in the mirror and think you look good, then you're probably set to go.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off-topic, loose the beard, comb your hair...
smack.gif
Edit: partly^pre-empted.

joewee

Reaction score
In Japan they make all the new graduates who go for interviews dye their hair black (if it was dyed something else, or even if its naturally brown) and wear black suits. Just because its better to conform in Japan.

The good thing about wearing a boring pattern for interviews is that the focus is on you and not your ability or inability to color coordinate.

I would shave and shape up the hair, you can always grow it out again once you have the job. Some HR staff, the worse are only one notch about the guy who writes parking tickets, try hard to eliminate potential non-comformist in the first interview. Beards are up on the top of the list (in Asia and NYC).

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
A closely-trimmed and well-maintained beard is perfectly fine even in a conservative profession such as corporate law. I echo the rest of the sentiments here, however.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
white shirt. white shirt. white shirt

Frodo

Reaction score
Hello -

I think the suit looks fine. But your haircut is very immature. I don't mean you're immature for having it, I mean it's a little boy's haircut. Similar to the moussed-up "spikey" look. It says "I'm all about having fun!" It also makes your beard look sloppy by association. A neat, professional haircut would enable you to wear a beard, once you get the job. I would not interview with your hair and beard the way they are now.

Good luck! And let us know what you did and how it all shook out. Interviews are a big deal, sartorially, and it would be helpful to hear what's going on out there.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Show some self-respect and at least trim the beard. In any case, if your grades/credentials are good enough for the firm you are applying to, it may not make a difference. But if your goal is biglaw, and your grades are on the bubble, I'd make sure I wore a white shirt, shaved, got a haircut, and wore normal oxfords.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd be sure the grooming is top notch which means trimming the beard and getting a haircut. Personally, I'd wear a white or light blue shirt.

boo

Reaction score
I don't understand the need to seek the edge of what constitutes proper interview attire. If someone isn't interested enough in a job to wear a white dress shirt (for example), they're probably just wasting their time and don't really want the job anyways. I would gladly wear a chicken costume to an interview if I thought it would give me an edge.

On second thought, I encourage people to dress as wildly as they want so that I'll look that much better in comparison
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads