1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How does EG rank?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Manton,

Have you ever done bespokes via Tony? If so, how was the experience?

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Have you ever done bespokes via Tony? If so, how was the experience?
    Yes, very good. I wore a pair today. I would put his construction a bit ahead of Cleverley, a bit behind Lobb Paris. His last aesthetic is entirely different from both, however -- more "contemporary". I think I prefer the more old-world approach of the others, when it comes to the shape of the shoe. But Tony's construction and finishing are superior to most bespoke shoes I have seen.

3. Artisan Fan

Congrats then. I may have to place an order at some point. I'm working with Jason now on my second pair of bespokes...may do a "Cleverley toe".

4. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

Congrats then. I may have to place an order at some point. I'm working with Jason now on my second pair of bespokes...may do a "Cleverley toe".

have you decided on the look yet??

5. Artisan Fan

Still in discussion with my shoe advisors. [​IMG]

6. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

Still in discussion with my shoe advisors. [​IMG]
    not wanting to thread jack but you should do a log thread about it sort of " AF log shoe date 2006"
    i think it might be interesting to see i guess a docu-thread![​IMG]

7. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

The difficulty of getting EGs in the USA seems to be part of their mystique. However, given their classic styles, I've never made an effort to seek them out.

8. Will

Will Well-Known Member

After sizing is established, few things are easier than an email ordering one of those on that last, in such and such a color.

9. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

We may have the same brochue MtB...I have an old brochure from EG with the Top Drawer models inside. They were quite nice. Probably dates to 2000...it's green with wax paper inside the front sleeve. The Top Drawer models are black & white on dark green background.
    I have that brochure as well. This is confusing, but EG revamped its Top Drawer program at one point. I believe the models in the catalog we have are not bespoke quality like those in Manton's catalog, but are just slightly better made than the EG normal line, with different heel nail patterns and with the waist that has become normal on EG (machine bevelling). Top Drawer was then phased out completely.

10. Homme

Homme Well-Known Member

Can someone explain what a bevelled waist actually is ?

11. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

There's lots of stuff in the archives on bevelled waists and shoe construction in general. You might start with the links in the "HOF: Glossary of terms/ Best posts/ FAQ/ Links" topic that is pinned at the top of the Men's Clothing forum.

12. Artisan Fan

whnay and I visited Neimans today to check out the Kiton shoes...Kiton sent a DVD which showed the production of the shoes. It was very clear the shoes are mostly handmade. I was very impressed-the only machine witnessed was a saw for cutting the soles. I tried on a 9.5 which fit my 10.5 feet perfectly. The leather is unbelievably soft and comfortable. a great shoe.

13. well-kept

well-kept Well-Known Member

Anyone know if the old EG Top Drawers were numbered differently? (Production number, not size or last).