• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do You Wallet?

30000shoes

Reaction score
I just recently splurged on a McQueen wallet that I absolutely fell in love with because of its bold color and design. I just got it today and it's as beautiful as I thought it would be, albeit a bit bulky in the way that new wallets can be.

It did get me thinking though, that I may not carry such a splurge purchase all the time and I was wondering how many people swap out their wallets between a daily wallet and something more high end. Doesn't saving this wallet for "special occasions" sort of defy the purpose of buying it in the first place? Then again, is it in poor form to whip out an obvious luxury buy in front of your Velcro screeching frugal co-workers? Any thoughts?

20180619_202536.jpg

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A man should always have a beautiful wallet. I'm using a peccary leather Smythson card holder with 14ct gold tips.

But its so low-key you'd never know.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a small black wallet, but on special occasions, I’ll use just a money clip for cash, credit card and ID card so I can leave the wallet at home.

jaxenro

Reaction score
I have a Brooks Brothers billfold that looks like one of their ties sort of. Green repp stripe with leather trim

I doubt your coworkers would notice it’s a “luxury” wallet and if they do who cares? You spend your money on what you want they spend theirs on what they want.

notdos

Reaction score
I carry a LV wallet that’s pretty nice. Some people notice it, most don’t. It’s kinda like a nice watch,,I prefer it.

Phillip :)

jts287

Reaction score
How many (female) coworkers carry an expensive Gucci or LV purse? At least a few, I bet.

jaxenro

Reaction score
If you carry that thought to the extreme

Person A likes nice cars and buys an expensive one

Person B likes nice suits and buys an expensive one

Person C likes nice watch’s and buys an expensive one

Person A thinks B and C are showing off so they shouldn’t spend their money who they did

But person C thinks A is showing and shouldn’t buy an expensive car

So person A, B, and C end up wearing identical gray Mao suits, wearing plain $5 watches, and driving Yugo’s

rwbenjey

Reaction score
My Oakenlander small wallet :) Will be cranking more of these out in the next few months (4.25" x 3" / 3-pocket):

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

Nick F

Reaction score
How many wallets do you guys have for different occasions.

Also, if you do have one primary wallet, how often do you replace it. Like the original post, I feel like having only 1 wallet makes it wear out quickly that's the only thing. hmmmm

rwbenjey

Reaction score
Most of the time I use two; a small wallet daily or a cardholder for more formal occasions. If I am traveling out of the country, I'll bring the passport wallet.

MrBorland

Reaction score
How many wallets do you guys have for different occasions...

Just one, right now. I wear, by choice, a sports coat or blazer nearly every day, so I now carry a Maxwell Scott jacket wallet in an interior breast pocket. When I'm not wearing any coat, I simply carry the essentials (DL, CC, & some cash) in my pants pocket (once I got used to not having a big lump in my butt, I found it tough to go back ;)).

Also, if you do have one primary wallet, how often do you replace it. Like the original post, I feel like having only 1 wallet makes it wear out quickly that's the only thing. hmmmm

My jacket wallet resides in a relatively protected place (interior breast pocket), so it looks as good as new. Besides, a little wear on a quality leather wallet isn't a bad thing.

jaxenro

Reaction score
This is the one I carry every day usually in my sports coats left breast inside pocket but as it has been over 90 and humid I have gone to my right front pants pocket for now. It would be too confusing to switch back and forth between different ones.

Four thing I carry whenever I leave the house:
Key Ring (house, car)
Wallet
Phone
Firearm of the day (I alternate between various semi autos and revolvers)

C5880450-A0C3-40A6-8CC3-4AAE8CA1F98B.jpeg

1E722780-87CD-4E23-B5B7-6F03393E6886.jpeg

Nick F

Reaction score
Most of the time I use two; a small wallet daily or a cardholder for more formal occasions. If I am traveling out of the country, I'll bring the passport wallet.

Nice. Does your travel wallet typically include your passport. So on a night out you'd bring it ye.

Nick F

Reaction score
This is the one I carry every day usually in my sports coats left breast inside pocket but as it has been over 90 and humid I have gone to my right front pants pocket for now. It would be too confusing to switch back and forth between different ones.

Four thing I carry whenever I leave the house:
Key Ring (house, car)
Wallet
Phone
Firearm of the day (I alternate between various semi autos and revolvers)

View attachment 996306

View attachment 996307

That looks massiveeee.
But I guess you put it in your blazer so that's fine.

True that, gotta spice it up and rotate firearms accordingly. ha

rwbenjey

Reaction score
Nice. Does your travel wallet typically include your passport. So on a night out you'd bring it ye.

Yup! If I'm somewhere else and I don't have it on me, things could become a little problematic. Luckily, due to the size of the wallet, it can fit concealed in my back pocket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads