• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do You Wallet?

jaxenro

Reaction score
That looks massiveeee.
But I guess you put it in your blazer so that's fine.
a

Works good in the blazer it’s big but thin unlike the typical bi or tri fold

In the front pocket it breaks up the outline of what’s tucked behind it

PaulyMaz

Reaction score
Here's my wallet... Made entirely of Italian Lambskin. I like the suppleness of lambskin. As you can see, it's very thin and has a money clip rather than a cash pocket. What do you think about the design?

Also, do you think it's important for a man to carry a nice, clean wallet? I don't mean that it has to be expensive. Just clean and of decent quality.

IMG_3822.JPG IMG_3820.JPG IMG_3819.JPG IMG_3821.JPG

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my wallet... Made entirely of Italian Lambskin. I like the suppleness of lambskin. As you can see, it's very thin and has a money clip rather than a cash pocket. What do you think about the design?

Also, do you think it's important for a man to carry a nice, clean wallet? I don't mean that it has to be expensive. Just clean and of decent quality.
I carry a similar style wallet - a Mitchell money clip wallet. I also agree that a slim profile looks better. Having a fat George Kostanza wallet in your back pocket just looks sloppy IMO. I also switched some time back to a wallet in my front pocket - in a back pocket it puts pressure on the fabric when you sit so you end up with a wallet imprint on the fabric over time - which really looks sloppy. With smartphones and electronic data/pictures there just isn't the need to carry all the extraneous stuff in a mans wallet anymore. My fully loaded wallet with id, cards and cash is about 5/8 inches thick.

PaulyMaz

Reaction score
I carry a similar style wallet - a Mitchell money clip wallet. I also agree that a slim profile looks better. Having a fat George Kostanza wallet in your back pocket just looks sloppy IMO. I also switched some time back to a wallet in my front pocket - in a back pocket it puts pressure on the fabric when you sit so you end up with a wallet imprint on the fabric over time - which really looks sloppy. With smartphones and electronic data/pictures there just isn't the need to carry all the extraneous stuff in a mans wallet anymore. My fully loaded wallet with id, cards and cash is about 5/8 inches thick.

Hi johng70! Thanks for the response! I looked up the Mitchel money clip wallet. Beautiful design. We've all seen what a worn back pocket looks like. When you say you've been putting your wallet in your front pocket, do you mean you have one of those curved wallets designed for your front pocket? I've seen those around before.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Saving a wallet for a special occasion? Extraordinary.

To be honest, if you presume that by unleashing the red beast unto a waitress you will embarrass your less fortunate peers, you might be erring on the side of modesty. Taste and style widely differ and there are some who would not wish to be seen dead in the ditch with red wallets featuring skeletal depictions. If you love it, however, my advice is "use it to the max of your enjoyment".

I myself have about 20 wallets, money clips, card cases and other "money systems" our economy offers, all for reasons I am too ashamed to relate. Some of them were pricey, some of them cheap. They range from vulgar (LV, Montblanc, BC) to modest (some Turkish startup that uses full-grain hide and sells it for the price of plastic), from cheap to "value-retaining" (precious metals - the real ones, not their "-plated" brothers). I also have one salmon wallet (and you would not guess how impractical it is). As of late, maturity has kicked in (sadly, alongside with a back pain) and I use only the ones that have a coin compartment. Yes, to me it all comes down to a coin compartment.

Some time ago most wallets came with coin compartments, but then some malicious North American came and announced that coins were no longer to be stored in wallets, and the whole wallet industry did not know where to look. Sheer embarrassment that this did not occur to them sooner. The message was further reinforced by the credit card revolution, and now hard-working, honest men like myself struggle with our coins, or absence thereof. We shake them off our trousers when folding them neatly over our sterling silver butlers. We swear and kick into things when a parking meter accepts only coins. We blush when we tip using our credit cards.

So, my friend, if your Alexander MQueen treasure does not come with a coin pouch, it means nothing to a man like me. I'd rather go velcro.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...when a parking meter accepts only coins. We blush when we tip using our credit cards.

In America, one shouldn't tip in coins; round up to the next dollar. In europe 2 euro coins are practical, so keep two in your trousers' watch pocket. Hardly any need at all for a wallet with a coin pouch.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
In America, one shouldn't tip in coins; round up to the next dollar. In europe 2 euro coins are practical, so keep two in your trousers' watch pocket. Hardly any need at all for a wallet with a coin pouch.

My apologies for using this forum as a debating platform, especially on an issue that has nothing to do with the first post.

I lived in Canada and the U.S. for over 10 years of my life and never encountered the "no coins" rule you mention. Tipping in coins might not be in the best form in the Plaza in New York, or when the bill is 300 dollars, but this is about the context rather than anything else (same reason Lamborghinis are not psychologically priced). In a pragmatic world, 60 dollars and three quarters is still a better tip than 60 dollars plain. I may be wrong.

I hope your suggestion to round up to the next dollar was clumsily expressed, because if you seriously meant to round up the actual bill to the next dollar, such lack of generosity will certainly not be appreciated on the continent. It would explain, however, why so many of my German colleagues in America do exactly what you advocate.

With respect to Europe, the rules are different everywhere, and not all countries have adopted EUR.

So, to return to the wallet thing, I prefer one with a coin compartment.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My apologies for using this forum as a debating platform, especially on an issue that has nothing to do with the first post.

I hope your suggestion to round up to the next dollar was clumsily expressed, because if you seriously meant to round up the actual bill to the next dollar, such lack of generosity will certainly not be appreciated on the continent. It would explain, however, why so many of my German colleagues in America do exactly what you advocate.

With respect to Europe, the rules are different everywhere, and not all countries have adopted EUR.

So, to return to the wallet thing, I prefer one with a coin compartment.

I mentioned no such “no coins” rule, but apology accepted. ;)

I meant one should round the tip up to the next dollar, not the bill as a whole. I do admit my original post didn’t express that clearly enough. Now it is my turn to apologize. :(

I’ve found that Europeans as a whole are lousy tippers when in America because they mistakenly assume the waiters are being paid a living wage. As a New Yorker with years of experience in the restaurant industry, I can testify it isn’t.

Whereabouts are you located now Jan?

Jan Capek

Reaction score

I meant one should round the tip up to the next dollar, not the bill as a whole. I do admit my original post didn’t express that clearly enough. Now it is my turn to apologize. :(

I’ve found that Europeans as a whole are lousy tippers when in America because they mistakenly assume the waiters are being paid a living wage. As a New Yorker with years of experience in the restaurant industry, I can testify it isn’t.

I recently moved to Prague (after 1.5 yrs in Lebanon). New York is a fabulous place. I can't live without it for longer than a few months, and this past year I've visited three times. The plan for this year is to move to the U.S., somewhere nice on the East Coast. Please feel free to w/b with your story (what got you from Frankfurt to NYC), but perhaps privately.

offshoremm

Reaction score
I see some excellent wallets here, gents.

As I was bored last winter, I took up leather crafting as a pastime. I learned 100% of everything I know from Youtube, for free. Thus, when I get bored with a wallet, I simply make a new one. I do not sell them, I just make them for myself and friends as a way to pass the time. I make fairly simple wallets, always long ones because I hate folding paper money and I like to be able to slip it into a coat pocket without too much bulge.

The red one below is my favorite. Inside is raw vegetable tanned leather. I pick up the leather from the local leather/shoe craft district where I reside. So far, I have only used a very specific type of Italian leather, the name of which escapes me but it has a distinct texture at first which kind of gets more glossy after long term use.

Anyway, if you are the type of person who likes to change wallets from time to time, and you want to be able to make matching accessories, like key holders, phone cases etc, I recommend taking up leather crafting as a hobby. I went from youtube video to making my first wallet in about 3 hours. Final product takes me around 2-3 hours, all hand stitched and cut by hand. I am still an amateur, but I am able to make things that satisfy me, and get compliments from people.

The khaki green one is my winter wallet, the interior is made of some mystery leather that I picked up in a scrap heap at a leather shop in Tokyo. Might be deer, might be lamb, not sure.

Attachments

• wallet_1.jpg
    wallet_1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 14
  • wallet_2.jpg
    wallet_2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 17
  • wallet_3.jpg
    wallet_3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 23
  • wallet_45.jpg
    wallet_45.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 26

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
I see some excellent wallets here, gents.

As I was bored last winter, I took up leather crafting as a pastime. I learned 100% of everything I know from Youtube, for free. Thus, when I get bored with a wallet, I simply make a new one. I do not sell them, I just make them for myself and friends as a way to pass the time. I make fairly simple wallets, always long ones because I hate folding paper money and I like to be able to slip it into a coat pocket without too much bulge.

The red one below is my favorite. Inside is raw vegetable tanned leather. I pick up the leather from the local leather/shoe craft district where I reside. So far, I have only used a very specific type of Italian leather, the name of which escapes me but it has a distinct texture at first which kind of gets more glossy after long term use.

Anyway, if you are the type of person who likes to change wallets from time to time, and you want to be able to make matching accessories, like key holders, phone cases etc, I recommend taking up leather crafting as a hobby. I went from youtube video to making my first wallet in about 3 hours. Final product takes me around 2-3 hours, all hand stitched and cut by hand. I am still an amateur, but I am able to make things that satisfy me, and get compliments from people.

The khaki green one is my winter wallet, the interior is made of some mystery leather that I picked up in a scrap heap at a leather shop in Tokyo. Might be deer, might be lamb, not sure.
Gawd, those are beautiful. How do you get the stitching so perfect? And what's the YouTube video? I'm sheltering at home and tired of eating cake and getting it all over myself. Maybe I should sew me up some leather stuff. You think?

offshoremm

Reaction score
Gawd, those are beautiful. How do you get the stitching so perfect? And what's the YouTube video? I'm sheltering at home and tired of eating cake and getting it all over myself. Maybe I should sew me up some leather stuff. You think?

Greetings Egdon Heath and thank you for your kind words. I am still a humble amateur, still learning the ropes.

As for stitching in straight lines, it's really nothing complicated, we just use a leather punch which is a tool shaped kind of like a fork, to punch straight lines of holes in the leather. Once you have your straight holes, it's pretty easy to stitch in a straight line.

As for videos, watching a Youtube channel called "Corter Leather" is what got me started. I've been able to make pretty much everything, and am teaching myself to make bags at the moment.

Below you can see a card holder that I made for my coworker. He wanted grey leather with red stitching to match the seats in his 911. I etched his initials into it using a cheapo laser etching machine from Ali Express. I also made a key holder to match my red wallet.

Attachments

• wallet_7.jpg
    wallet_7.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 20
  • wallet_6.jpg
    wallet_6.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 355
  • wallet_5.jpg
    wallet_5.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 355

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads