• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you learn to go/see underwater?

ms244

Reaction score
My goal this summer is to actually be able to swim (as opposed to simply not drowning).

I have a hard time getting under the water, the idea of swimming underwater I think tends to freak me out.

Is there someway to overcome this?

ms244

Reaction score
I never really learned how to swim or had a place to go to swim. But I do now and trying to get good at it.

I think mostly its being new to going underwater.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just picked up swimming again this past spring so i know where you're coming from. if it really is something psychological like a fear of water, i'd take lessons. but if it's just something you want to get good at because you've never done it before, than go for it. get a pair of goggles and start by taking a breath and dunking your head under water. from there, i'd learn a stroke that allows you to move while underwater (i think breaststroke best simulates that movement). and i'd definitely learn how to tread water. but beyond that, have fun. swimming is a blast.

-Jeff

sidewinder13

Reaction score
I took up beginners swimming lessons last year, took a break from them (of about a year, but I still practiced during this time) and now I'm in the intermediate classes. We still haven't done anything in deep water though (and it's my last class tonight), and that's something that I'm really looking forward to (since I do have a fear of the deep)

Originally Posted by gamelan
from there, i'd learn a stroke that allows you to move while underwater (i think breaststroke best simulates that movement).

I think so too. But I still have a long way to go to learn this properly. I suck at it.

dv_indian

Reaction score
Wear swimming goggles. And a swimming cap and ear plugs.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Deviated septum. I can't do anything but dog paddle lol. Putting my head under water is a no no

MaxHeadroom

Reaction score
Practice in the bathtub.

You only have to open your eyes once underwater to see if you can do it... and you might be surprised just how easy it is.

Fear of the unknown sounds like the problem

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will never get to swim with wild dolphins if you fear going underwater. They like human interaction and will probably try and initiate some sort of game to play. Let the dolphins approach you, they are curious and generally recognize humans as non-threatening. Sway your arms back and forth and they will imitate you with their fins. You will be distracted enough to not fear being underwater any longer, just keep your eyes open.

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
My goal this summer is to actually be able to swim (as opposed to simply not drowning). I have a hard time getting under the water, the idea of swimming underwater I think tends to freak me out. Is there someway to overcome this?
This sounds ****** but you might consider playing games rather than doing lessons. If you have access to a private pool(or a lake) and have friends to swim with then organize parties at said places. There are sinking pool toys that are fun to play with. See who can gather up the most of them in one breath for example. I've known people who were wary of going underwater too. Once everybody started playing games they quickly overcame the fears. No way would they let their SO beat them at some game like that. Had to show em up. I learned real young growing up on Lake Norman, NC and having to fetch items dropped off our dock by friends/family. I did a lotta stupid stuff too. Like riding my bike from the house, all the way down the steep yard, onto the long dock and off a ramp at the end.
laugh.gif
I've never used public pools so I don't know what kind of rules they have that would allow or prevent basic games.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
My goal this summer is to actually be able to swim (as opposed to simply not drowning).

I have a hard time getting under the water, the idea of swimming underwater I think tends to freak me out.

Is there someway to overcome this?

come over and i will teach you how to swim. i'll do it in a very relaxing, fun, non-stress manner. at your own pace. ill be there. you can hold onto me. hold my vascular arms in the water. if you slip a little, just wrap your arms around my glistening slippery but firm torso. feel me breath with you. we'll hold each other, and go under, you'll learn to swim in no time.

.Impulsv

Reaction score
Stand/squat in the shallow end, with your hands on the pool's edge.
Put your head underwater.
Exhale, making lots and lots of bubbles!
Come up for air when you need it.
Repeat.

It's sounds really dumb, but it's a way to get you used to putting your head underwater that's clearly safe to you. You can probably modify it to help you open your eyes, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads