• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how do you gain strength with no added bulk?

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HelloIDistance
I don't know man if you go on the crossfit website and look at the pictures of those guys they look fit as no other. Sure doing crossfit would not make you lift as much as a bodybuilder, but in a fight or in an endurance challenge I would pick a person who has trained in the crossfit program over a person who just lifts weights in the gym.

You don't think the photos on the Crossfit website are gonna be a little biased? Do you buy supplements based on the ripped photochops, too? Famous Crossfit physiques got that way by strength training and using Crossfit to cut, not by using Crossfit.

Your fight / endurance comment is equally comical.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
Haha Gholston is one of the biggest freaks ever. Pretty much the only man in the world who is 260lbs, can run a 4.56, bench 225 almost 40 times, and squat 405 20 times...

Brock Lesnar. I doubt he can run the 40 that fast (4.7 on some website) but he can blow those other stats out of the water.

/sigh I need some roids
laugh.gif

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
Here is the picture that crossfit has on thier intruductory page. Now to me, this guy does not look that fit. Im not sure why they choose him to be the face of crossfit but IMO they will turn a lot of people off by using this photo. This guy looks like all the dudes at my gym that lift huge amounts of weight but look really out of shape or fat. I don't look at this and say, "I wanna look like that guy!"
crossfit.jpg

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anonymouschris
it's not all about aesthetics, but the point of me working out is really to be more efficient in the sports that i play. i find that when i gain too much bulk i am not as quick playing bball, tennis, football, etc. i also rockclimb and being bulky definitely prevents progress in climbing.

yoga? i do it about 2 x a month. i should probably work that in a little bit more.

Climb more. Supplement with whatever work you need to each sport. Specifically leg work. IMO climbing can replace all upper body work needed for tennis.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People worrying about getting bulky usually have very limited experience with strength training. Putting muscle on is very hard work, and Im not sure I believe the premise of your post, that you just pack it on way too easily.

Lift heavy, eat enough to support your progess, and if you have some excess blubber after your cycle, cutting it with HIIT and diet is easy enough.

Check out the size of this kid deadlifting 500 lb, for example. Hardly a bulky physique:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Hangdog

Reaction score
Guys who claim they "bulk up" too easily usually couldn't get "bigger" if their lives depended on it. You want to be strong, lift weight, push your limits, do bodyweight exercises and tell the fashion industry to go **** itself.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God this forum sucks.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
ffffuuuu.gif

Will this take the place of the facepalm emoticon as why's standard response in H&B?

Kris

Reaction score
There is a steroid for exactly this purpose, used by boxers when they "drop out for a while". Adds significant strength, without adding weight that would put them in a heavier fight class. I forget what it's called.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris
There is a steroid for exactly this purpose, used by boxers when they "drop out for a while". Adds significant strength, without adding weight that would put them in a heavier fight class. I forget what it's called.

Probably stanozolol.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris

steroids for a better convalescence are called anabolics. and yes, they are illegal (not if you are mexican) and it's stupid if you take them. your balls shrink, you lose all your hair, your skin will look like a pizza, your heart gets fat, your liver will shrink or even develop cancer and anger issues will be the weakest form of psychic side effects ..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads