• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how do you gain strength with no added bulk?

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
I always thought the problem was steroid abuse, not use. I thought about doing 1 cycle just to see what happens but then I realized you have to still do all the work involved in getting ripped and Im too lazy for that. If there was a drug I could take and get ripped whilst watching dynasty re-runs Id be all over that.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ge Fuzz
I always thought the problem was steroid abuse, not use. I thought about doing 1 cycle just to see what happens but then I realized you have to still do all the work involved in getting ripped and Im too lazy for that. If there was a drug I could take and get ripped whilst watching dynasty re-runs Id be all over that.

laugh.gif

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
Pretty much all incorrect or preventable with proper post cycle therapy.

if it changes your psyche, how can you maintain a proper therapy?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much every guy who goes to the gym for the first time tells the instructor "I don't wanna get too big, I just wanna put on a bit of muscle and tone up"

You won't get huge. To get huge you have to eat a shitload and really be dedicated to it. You'll get more muscular, but not to the extent that it would prevent you from rockclimbing etc.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no toning, there is only stronger and weaker. And if you don't squat, you are a *****.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
There is 'toning', it's also know as 'cutting'.
teacha.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

anonymouschris

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've been hitting the gyms for over 10 years and I know how my body responds to weights. Different bodies respond to different workouts differently. I bulk up much easier than my friends who workout with me - it's a fact. You don't have to believe it, but I do appreciate the responses from those who have similar problems.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anonymouschris
i've been hitting the gyms for over 10 years and I know how my body responds to weights. Different bodies respond to different workouts differently. I bulk up much easier than my friends who workout with me - it's a fact. You don't have to believe it, but I do appreciate the responses from those who have similar problems.

You are what you eat. Eat less protein, and in general, just eat less. Though if you've been working out for 10 years, why haven't you discovered a strategy to stop bulking up?

PrinceAli132

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
You are what you eat. In general, just eat less

QFT

Reminds me of when I was at the gym and two kids came up to me to ask why I was going so low when squatting. They ended up asking why I was working out and I told them I wanted to drop some weight.

They could not grasp the fact that I was "lifting weights" to loose weight. Kept on telling me I'll bulk up or get big. Tried explaining that I had a real clean diet and I was eating approximately only 2100 calories a day. Essentially told me that I would not loose weight until I stopped lifting and only did cardio.
confused.gif

Ali

bate8473

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
There is 'toning', it's also know as 'cutting'.
teacha.gif

common myth alert right there.

toning is getting a low body fat percent, cutting is having an EXTREMELY low body fat %.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bate8473
common myth alert right there. toning is getting a low body fat percent, cutting is having an EXTREMELY low body fat %.
How is it exactly that a human being with presumably reasonable intelligence, or at least enough to register for and navigate a discussion board can post these kinds of responses?

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

this was absolutely one of the funniest ******* things i have ever seen and i thank you for bringing it to my attention

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bate8473
common myth alert right there.

toning is getting a low body fat percent, cutting is having an EXTREMELY low body fat %.

Most people think toning has something to do with muscle density for some reason. Probably because they do 100 reps with 2kgs and see a big pump and think "higher reps with low weight = harder denser muscle". I know a couple of guys who are convinced of this.

Cardio is important, but I use it (nowdays) mainly for good cardiovascular health and stamina, rather than lose weight.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
The word "toning" doesn't mean anything. There is muscle growth, fat gain, muscle loss, and fat loss. There is no in between. There is no muscle shaping, there is no tightening and firming. This is a gimmicky way of saying losing weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads