• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you feel about Cilantro

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know lots of people love this herb, but if it's in something I eat, it's the only thing I can taste... and it is very bitter to me.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it when it's not completely overpowering a dish, which is often the case.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I really like it personally. It can be rank, but it can also add excellent flavor to some dishes.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like cilantro, even more than the ubiquitous parsley. It's a necessary ingredient in many Asian and Latin dishes. My omelette usually has a bit of chopped cilantro in it.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good Mexican food requires a moderate level of cilantro.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Good Mexican food requires a moderate level of cilantro.
I can handle it in good salsa, because the spiciness can overpower it... but even like the green tomatillo salsa at chipotle has too much for me. Side Note - did you know Chipotle keeps plain white rice on hand in case you don't like Cilantro?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a fine line that is often crossed when using cilantro.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too much in a dish and the whole thing takes on a kind of soapy flavour. I don't mind it in moderation, though. Over the top for me was a meal in BKK that started with whole cilantro plants (leaves, stems, roots and all, cleaned) that you dipped into a tamarind-chili based sauce and ate.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Essential in Tacos, and Menudo. Yummy!
stirpot.gif

Sic Semper

Reaction score
I wonder if there is a genetic basis for not liking it. It's a staple in Asian and Latin kitchens. Maybe the inverse of lactose intolerance for Euros?

Michel Richard is known to hate the stuff. However so much isn't right without it.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
Too much in a dish and the whole thing takes on a kind of soapy flavour. I don't mind it in moderation, though. Over the top for me was a meal in BKK that started with whole cilantro plants (leaves, stems, roots and all, cleaned) that you dipped into a tamarind-chili based sauce and ate.

Originally Posted by Sic Semper
I wonder if there is a genetic basis for not liking it. It's a staple in Asian and Latin kitchens. Maybe the inverse of lactose intolerance for Euros?

Michel Richard is known to hate the stuff. However so much isn't right without it.

I've wondered this myself - I find that it taste soapy as well, and I've heard that before, but people who really like it don't think that at all.

I've grown more accustomed to it and no longer find it soapy, but only if it's well balanced by other flavors.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
I've wondered this myself - I find that it taste soapy as well, and I've heard that before, but people who really like it don't think that at all. I've grown more accustomed to it and no longer find it soapy, but only if it's well balanced by other flavors.
I'm generally okay with it if it's cooked in like a menudo. It's the fresh chopped cilantro on top of something that really kills me... like a Tom Yum soup. Whatever is cooked in I can handle... but if it's just fresh on top, I can't take it. I'm bet it is genetic, although nobody in my family has the same issue.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I'm generally okay with it if it's cooked in like a menudo. It's the fresh chopped cilantro on top of something that really kills me... like a Tom Yum soup. Whatever is cooked in I can handle... but if it's just fresh on top, I can't take it. I'm bet it is genetic, although nobody in my family has the same issue.
Fresh cilantro has a very pungent, and herby aroma, much more so than parsley. But, it also loses this pungency very quickly. I often add it to a dish at the last minute and just give it a quick toss. If you want to tone the flavor down, add it in a few minutes before the end of cooking. I have the same reflex as you with scallion. Cooked, it's okay in small amount. I gag when I smell fresh scallion up close.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads