• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you feel about Cilantro

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. instead of soap, roesemary has a bit of a pine-sol thing to it... but I like it if used correctly. Just cilantro offends my palate.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
For the people who hate cilantro, do you also hate coriander? I know the tastes are different, but same plant.

As I said, I'm not a big fan of cilantro, but I don't mind coriander at all. You can't make a decent masala chai without it!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always put crushed coriander seeds in the water I'm using to steam artichokes, along with crushed bay leaves and crushed black pepper. I then put thinly-sliced lemon into the steamer basket with the 'chokes.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sic Semper
I wonder if there is a genetic basis for not liking it. It's a staple in Asian and Latin kitchens. Maybe the inverse of lactose intolerance for Euros?

There is, actually, relating to the ability to taste PTC. The taste of PTC can be bitter, soapy, or tasteless depending on how sensitive one is to it.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd eat cilantro on anything

a-rock

Reaction score
Cilantro - the more the merrier.
Same with scallions, garlic, etc.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's great with beans, like it very much on some dishes like fish tacos. Growing it is astonishingly easy, though - grows like a weed down here!

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's an interesting subject: i find there are many herbs that are more objectionable than cilantro (when overused). Rosemary is one. Sage is another. Oregano (particularly fresh, which is almost inedible).

Sic Semper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
very funny! i remember eating Japanese food with him and the chef slipped a piece of cilantro into an omakase dish and he practically fainted. turned white, the whole thing.
there are genetic markers that affect flavor (or our perceptions of flavor). perhaps the most famous is the "asparagus urine" test ... it used to be believed that only certain people's urine picked up that scent ... then they found that the truth was that only certain people could SMELL the difference.
But fun fact aside, I'm a little skeptical that's what's going on with cilantro. i think it has a very powerful flavor and while i personally never got the whole "soapy" thing, i can see how other people might.

At Kaz?

See the NY Times article. I've only faintly picked up the soapiness. Chalked it up to some enthusiastic farmer and his chemicals. But there are similar aldehydes. The more useful information in the article is that crushing cilantro "leaves will give leaf enzymes the chance to gradually convert the aldehydes into other substances with no aroma." Pesto is suggested.

So, haters. Start crushing. It'll taste good baby... I promise.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
it is an acquired taste.

i can easily live without it...

Sic Semper

Reaction score
Sweet and spicy condiment salad: sprouts, siracha, mint or basil and hoisin. Gives the soup just enough time to steep.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i love cilantro. however it is an acquired taste. i remember when i first had it when i was around 10 years old, i did not know what it was but the flavor suddenly made me gag and i had no recourse but to spit everything out and flush my taste buds with coca cola or something.

Funny, this is what happened the first time I drank a coke, or rather, it came out of my nose...

dv_indian

Reaction score
I like it. It is used a lot in Indian cooking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads