• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How dark can you go with brown shoes

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is an idle question. I tend to deal with blacks, charcoals, blues. However, I have developed a fancy for brown shoes. How dark can you wear brown shoes with and not clash? These are darker brown shoes (antiqued look). I want to wear them with a pair of very dark charcoal pants. Is that too dark?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
Here is an idle question. I tend to deal with blacks, charcoals, blues. However, I have developed a fancy for brown shoes. How dark can you wear brown shoes with and not clash? These are darker brown shoes (antiqued look). I want to wear them with a pair of very dark charcoal pants. Is that too dark?
Charcoal typically is not too dark, but black might be.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Light tan with very dark charcoal would probably be too much contrast, but a brown with charcoal should go very well. Perhaps you are just not used to it? I was brought up to wear black with everything but earth tones so I always wore black with gray, charcoal, navy. When I started wearing brown and dark tan with those colors it was a little challenging for me at first but I grew to not only like it, but prefer it over black.

Stick with black shoes with black pants however.

binatang

Reaction score
Most shades of mid -dark browns go well with blue, navy & charcoal. Just make sure your shoe shade matches your belt. Usually this is the key.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I realize they have a strong lobby, I dont like medium brown calf or suede shoes with dark wool suits.

I like dark brown shoes with dark wool suits.

If the suit is dark but made up of just about any other oft used material, such as cotton, linen, silk, linen-silk etc... then I dont have a problem with shoes that are lighter, including spectators and white suede.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binatang
Most shades of mid -dark browns go well with blue, navy & charcoal. Just make sure your shoe shade matches your belt. Usually this is the key.

how far off can you go between shoes and belt.

It wound up being moot today, I relized that the pants I wanted to wear were a tad too long for the shoes (yes I know I need to get them tailored), and the shirt wound up with a pretty wicked stain on the back. Karma perhaps?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics