• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I get a physique like this guy?

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Has anyone actually put on slabs of muscle on a low-carb diet? Obviously such a diet can work wonders for losing fat, but I wonder about it for bulking.

I have gained a lot of lean muscle on my low carb diet. Don't know if it qualifies as 'slabs.' But muscle building is a very slow process where it's extremely difficult to gain a couple of lbs of lean muscle mass a month.

Also, metabolically, I don't see any reason why carbs are necessary for muscle gain at all. You can get enough energy through protein and fat. I guess a middle-of-the-road approach would be to schedule your carbs peri-workout. I eat my carbs early in the day and PWO. The rest of the time I avoid it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
I have gained a lot of lean muscle on my low carb diet. Don't know if it qualifies as 'slabs.' But muscle building is a very slow process where it's extremely difficult to gain a couple of lbs of lean muscle mass a month.

Also, metabolically, I don't see any reason why carbs are necessary for muscle gain at all. You can get enough energy through protein and fat. I guess a middle-of-the-road approach would be to schedule your carbs peri-workout. I eat my carbs early in the day and PWO. The rest of the time I avoid it.

I would think the issue would be getting enough calories on just P+F. Not so hard when dieting, but when you ramp it up to 3000-4000 calories it seems pretty crazy.

Also, nice use of the prefix peri-.

unexpected

Reaction score
Originally Posted by awxg
Isn't there a Penn & Teller Bullshit episode explaining how this really is just genetics for the extremely unfortunate?

My problem with this is that everyone eventually classifies them as extremely unfortunate. Everything lies on the bell curve. For the guys two standard deviations above, it's ridiculously easy. For the guys two standard deviations, below, it's going to be ridiculously hard. For 95% of the population though, good results are attainable, as long as your willing to put forth the effort.

theMindvoid

Reaction score
I think hes probably around 8% dependeng on how your body store fat, im about 10% body fat, and im not that defined.

also you would have to be skinny naturally

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually put on slabs of muscle on a low-carb diet? Obviously such a diet can work wonders for losing fat, but I wonder about it for bulking.

the whole idea behind the anabolic diet is you carb up on weekends (or whenever the refeeds are) to spike insulin when you're most sensitive and get some muscle growth going.

Funny thing, last time I tried the anabolic diet I ended up eating way too much and I gained a lot of muscle and some fat. I'm a big eater to begin with so my portion control was shot in school cafeterias. Now that I cook for myself I have an easier time keeping my portions in check.

turbozed

Reaction score
I would think the issue would be getting enough calories on just P+F. Not so hard when dieting, but when you ramp it up to 3000-4000 calories it seems pretty crazy.

Also, nice use of the prefix peri-.

Fat is more caloric dense than carbs so it's not too tough. 9cals for every 1g of fat as compared to 4cals for every 1g of carbohydrate. Just based on caloric totals, you wouldn't have to eat too much more. You can get the added fat by switching to whole milk, cooking with more butter, eating some nuts and seeds, eating avocados, yogurt, cheese, etc. It's what I'm doing (except I'm using a lot of saved bacon grease for cooking...it's delicious)

I think that carbohydrates may provide faster energy as it's metabolized quicker (that's what I've always understood, may be wrong about that). However, as you cut carbs out of your diet, I think the body becomes more efficient at metabolizing fat as well.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
I think that carbohydrates may provide faster energy as it's metabolized quicker (that's what I've always understood, may be wrong about that). However, as you cut carbs out of your diet, I think the body becomes more efficient at metabolizing fat as well.

I actually find that while I don't get jolts of energy on a low-carb diet, my energy lasts for longer and I rarely find myself nodding off in class. Since fat doesn't metabolize as fast, the energy release is more sustained over time.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not all genetics and most people here are dorks with no social life because they sit on an Internet forum all day. Get away from the computer, go to the gym, and stop asking questions on the ******* Internet about why you're such a loser.

Oh, and the world is your mirror.

oaw01

Reaction score
+1 There's too much bullshit on this thread. There is no way in hell you can achieve that physique without the genes. Hell, I know people that spend their lives in the gym and they can't even come close to the guy in the pic.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oaw01
+1 There's too much bullshit on this thread. There is no way in hell you can achieve that physique without the genes. Hell, I know people that spend their lives in the gym and they can't even come close to the guy in the pic.

There's your problem

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
come on, no one's going to have a body that looks exactly like that dude. the best you can do is do the best for yourself.

people spend their lives in the gym and look like **** because they eat like ****. some blame it on genes... old story.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
If you are not very overweight, you can get this in 3 months.
Yes, anyone can look just like him in 3 months! My friend who is 6'4" and weighs 135 lbs, he will look just like him in three months if he just alters his diet properly and works out! Can you say BULLSHIT? And the guy in this thread who claims to know what lifts the guy in the picture does based on how he looks? Wow, nearly as intelligent as the people who think doing different types of bicep curls will change the "peak" in their biceps. I could give hundreds of similar examples as my 135lb friend -- pretty much everyone I know. There is a reason only a small percentage of the population are models, as it is not possible to make yourself look like one without surgery, no matter what you do in the gym or what you eat. Genetics. Ever see Twins? Sure Arnold did a lot of steroids, but he had a far better physique than DeVito before he ever picked up a weight.

unexpected

Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Yes, anyone can look just like him in 3 months! My friend who is 6'4" and weighs 135 lbs, he will look just like him in three months if he just alters his diet properly and works out! Can you say BULLSHIT? And the guy in this thread who claims to know what lifts the guy in the picture does based on how he looks? Wow, nearly as intelligent as the people who think doing different types of bicep curls will change the "peak" in their biceps.

I could give hundreds of similar examples as my 135lb friend -- pretty much everyone I know. There is a reason only a small percentage of the population are models, as it is not possible to make yourself look like one without surgery, no matter what you do in the gym or what you eat.

Genetics. Ever see Twins? Sure Arnold did a lot of steroids, but he had a far better physique than DeVito before he ever picked up a weight.

You use DeVito? Are you serious?

The reason only a small percentage of people are models is because not many people are willing to put forth the effort it takes to get into top shape- there's nothing wrong with that. Yes, your genetic might not be as good as the naturally ripped guy that you party with all the weekend that gets all the ladies, but you can't control for that- what you can control for, is how hard you work.

Think about it in terms of intelligence. Maybe that's an easier example to grasp. Sure, there's that naturally brilliant guy who never seems like he has to study. First of all, you don't know what kind of training he had when he was younger (how often did his parents read to him? did his dad make him memorize multiplication tables?) Second of all, for that smart kid, there's a corresponding kid who's not as naturally intelligent, but is willing to work his ass off studying. The kid works his ass off, and he does equally as well as the naturally intelligent kid.

You may not have the "natural" ability to reach your goals, but the human mind is an amazing thing - it can branch that gap and believe it, and put forth the desire and self-motivation to work your ass off to reach your goals.

You're only limited by what your mind. I swear to god, ya'll are like the ******* cry babies who complain that they studied 6 hours in the library for that test and then still get C's, when they can't even admit that they spent 4/6 hours surfing the internet or gossiping with the study buddies.

man up and grow a pair.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Yes, anyone can look just like him in 3 months! My friend who is 6'4" and weighs 135 lbs, he will look just like him in three months if he just alters his diet properly and works out! Can you say BULLSHIT? And the guy in this thread who claims to know what lifts the guy in the picture does based on how he looks? Wow, nearly as intelligent as the people who think doing different types of bicep curls will change the "peak" in their biceps.

I could give hundreds of similar examples as my 135lb friend -- pretty much everyone I know. There is a reason only a small percentage of the population are models, as it is not possible to make yourself look like one without surgery, no matter what you do in the gym or what you eat.

Genetics. Ever see Twins? Sure Arnold did a lot of steroids, but he had a far better physique than DeVito before he ever picked up a weight.

Obviously only an idiot would think the thread was about attempting to look exactly like the guy in the picture. "OMG that dude is kinda asian looking, and you're a white dude. You can't achieve that through exercise! OMG ... genetics...you guys are dumb..."

Yes, your torso length and width can't be helped. The size of your bones can't be helped. However, you can work within your parameters in order to build muscle or lose fat where you like by good dieting and exercise.

There are ways to train to get your body in order to achieve roughly what that guy has within your own frame. You want a strong chest, you gotta do some chest exercises. You want a tiny waist and have visible abs, then you have to shed bodyfat (either by dieting or cardio or both) and have a muscular frame that stretches your skin thin over your abs (achieved through training). The concept of bodybuilding seems lost on you. All around the world, countless people are lifting weights and exercising to shape their bodies to their liking. The combined knowledge of these experiences is a big factor against your theory of 100% genetics. I've seen guys who work on their arms all day and their arms turn out to be gigantic and out of proportion to the rest of their bodies (it's very odd looking). I submit to you that these people were not born with a genetic disposition to grow large arms out of nowhere.

Through a lot of exercise (some from the gym, some forced "PT") I was able to achieve a really lean body in my first year at uni. Seriously, I had the elusive "8-pack" (there's two little 'packs' on top too!) and was in great shape. Well, diet and a lack of exercise achieved that. A lack of it ruined it in subsequent years and I became fat and developed a gut. I'm only now starting to get it back. Genes play a role, but you never know how limiting a factor it is until you actually put in the work and see how far you get with it.

It's strange to read your posts because you seem to adamant and e-motional about your point but it's hard for me to grasp what exactly your point is. Are you trying to argue that it's impossible to look like that dude *exactly*? (which seems too obvious) Or are you arguing that weight training and diet are worthless in terms of changing body size/shape/composition?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unexpected
Second of all, for that smart kid, there's a corresponding kid who's not as naturally intelligent, but is willing to work his ass off studying. The kid works his ass off, and he does equally as well as the naturally intelligent kid.
How often does that actually happen? All the successful people I know are naturally intelligent, and all the not-so-successful people I know are naturally not intelligent and many were those studious hard working people who actually studied for exams. I suspect the same is true for weight lifting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads