• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How bad is my new suit? =o)

uluvbs

Reaction score
So, I just bought this suit and was wondering what you guys think of it. I will probably return it, but was thinking I may keep it depending what the consensus is. The main reasons I'm thinking of holding onto it are price and blue-grey color. There is a Woolmark tag, but the fabric on the jacket doesn't feel/drape that nicely. The pants, however, feel quite nice. Clearly, the sleeve length will need to come in, but is there anything else I can/should do to salvage this thing? Also, what do you think of the jacket's front pockets? (I'm not sure I like them.) Finally, do you think there is too much space between the lower button and the bottom of the jacket? Thank you!
IMG_0390.jpg
IMG_0394.jpg
IMG_0393.jpg
IMG_0391.jpg

satorstyle

Reaction score
Unfortunately the the jacket appears to be a size too large. The shoulders are too wide as well as some bunching of material in the chest area. Is it possible to exchange it for a smaller size? It will be almost impossible to reconstruct that jacket to fit well. Always fit in shoulders and the neck, and the rest can be made to fit well.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the entire jacket is too big, most obviously in the shoulders (too wide) and the length (way too long!)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My $0.02c worth:

I don't think that it's too long, as it looks as though it would fit the "level with the trouser crotch" or the "finger curl" test.

However, I do think that the shoulders are too wide and the chest/waist need a bit of trimming/suppression.

uluvbs - Don't be discouraged. You could spend some money having some adjustments made - although bringing in the shoulders is something that some people are reluctant to have done - or you could look around for another suit that has narrower shoulders and perhaps a slightly trimmer chest/waist. Bear in mind that different brands (and even suit models within brands) have different proportions and therefore it's a good idea to try on as many suits as possible until you get a good idea of what fits you well off-the-rack. That might take you fair while at first, but it will save you time and money on extensive alterations in the long run.

uluvbs

Reaction score
It was $166, incl tax =).

But I don't want to spend even $10 if it looks that bad.

In other words, even shortening the sleeves and the jacket length, this thing still looks bad?

Amazingly, it is a 38, which is typically my size. And the pants fit just right (I'm usually size 30" waist.)

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Those quarters are pretty closed.

I think that's because of the proportions of the suit vs the proportions of the wearer, to a large extent. If the shoulders and chest on the suit were to be narrower, and the waist to be a little more nipped, I think that it would open the quarters of the suit up more.

However, I could be entirely wrong!

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that it's too large and also a bit too long. Me no likey.

Also, you've been on this site since last year with more than 50 posts and you still have the bottom button fastened??

samurai

Reaction score
I would return it and put the money towards something better. It does not look well cut and does not suit your body type.

Re shoulder width - I think that is a matter of personal taste, and that can vary according to preference. I happen to like just a touch of the "Gatsby" look, i.e. slightly wide shoulders. JMO. Larry.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
Unfortunately the the jacket appears to be a size too large. The shoulders are too wide as well as some bunching of material in the chest area. Is it possible to exchange it for a smaller size? It will be almost impossible to reconstruct that jacket to fit well. Always fit in shoulders and the neck, and the rest can be made to fit well.

Originally Posted by emmanuel
the entire jacket is too big, most obviously in the shoulders (too wide) and the length (way too long!)

Originally Posted by Jumbie
I agree that it's too large and also a bit too long. Me no likey.

Also, you've been on this site since last year with more than 50 posts and you still have the bottom button fastened??

How do you guys tell if the jacket is too big? Fromk the creasing of the upper sleeves and the quarters?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Too big?? It doesn't fit in general, but if you have to simplify then it looks a little small, not big.

Unbutton the bottom button btw. I think that is causing about half the issues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads