• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How anal are you with your home, workplace vs your clothes?

lurker

Reaction score
Since many, if not all, posters here are quite anal with what they wear, how they look, does this attitude rub off on how you treat your home, workplace?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lurker
Since many, if not all, posters here are quite anal with what they wear, how they look, does this attitude rub off on how you treat your home, workplace?

complete mess at office. oscillate between neat and messy at home. i'm actually quite laid back about i wear - today i'm wearing a BR long sleeve t-shirt with a buttons (i think a henley), $10 jeans from the gap, and an old pair of prison boy steve madden shooters (i do not care if people hate them, i'm going to keep on wearing them).

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It does not for me. Most of my friends do not dress well and I particularly do not care how they dress. Some dress average, worse than average, a few very well but mostly just not the way I dress. However I would rather have them as my friends than people who do dress well. The only time were one's dress really explicility effects me is with women. What a women wears (most women dress horribly just as Jack Taylor said) really makes her more attractive so its only when its somethign other than platonic. But I do not make negative judgements of any women based on how they dress....

lurker

Reaction score
same here, usually messy at office, and fluctuate between tidy and messy at home(depends on how often people drop by). Care a lot more about what I wear (usually street wear though, rather dislike dressing up for work).

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
messy at home(depends on how often people drop by).

same for me - i just didn't want to admit it above. but yeah, i clean up when i have guests.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not even particularly anal about the upkeep of my clothes, although I care about what I wear, and am particularly conscious of color and silhouette. They get washed and worn. The only concession I've made is to handwash and hang dry jeans and some knits. I subscribe to the notion that clothes, and men's clothes in particular, look better worn when they've lost that "brand new" feeling. I see some guys here and on other fora advertise, with pictures to prove, used clothes that are in "mint" condition, which astounds me. After a couple of weeks of wear, my clothes have taken many walking miles, impromptu wrestling matches with my son, walking through brush, and while generally in decent condition, would definitely earn me a scowl if I tried to return them "as new".

My office is Spartan. It is completely anonymous. In contrast to some of my colleagues really make their spaces their own, I have just a desk, a computer, books and articles, and my bike. The only thing identifiably mine is my coffee mug. It is clean, but that's to the janitorial staff's credit.

My house would not pass muster in a military camp, but I occasionally make a half-hearted attempt to do housework, usually at my wife's bidding, so the floors are swept, etc... My clothes are typically folded and stacked in ever higher piles on top of my chest. I do try to have things separated by category (tops, jeans, belts, etc...) however.

I do tend to get compliments on my appearance though. I guess about once a day on average, usually from strangers. (People who know me are jaded.) Never any comments on my office except for "wow, it looks like you just moved in here", nor on my house except for "Wow, this is a big space."

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
This question suggests sodomy with house, workplace, and clothing. The correct spelling for the trait you're describing is "anile".

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm very anal about the upkeep of my clothes. My apartment, less so. I don't have time to clean all the time. I try to do a full cleaning once a week (takes me a few hours), but sometimes other things get in the way. My office at work fluctuates between spotless and papers everywhere.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like a home or office that's too neat. I don't necessarily condone extreme clutter but a sleek home that looks right out of a DWR catalog is definitely not for me.

As far as clothes are concern, I'm not sure I'm very anal either... I stain, rip, rub everything. When I don't destroy my clothes myself, moths definitely do their part
plain.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Complete contract to gdl. I keep both my part of our home and cubicle completely spotless as much as I can. On occasion stuff builds up but that's usually because I'm too busy to clean it up.

JB

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
This question suggests sodomy with house, workplace, and clothing. The correct spelling for the trait you're describing is "anile".

I love it when people try to correct others or show off, and end up ridiculing only themselves by making wrong statements

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a tidy house, except for all the crap that's moved in this weekend. I'll be clearing major clutter soon. I have a semi-tidy office, except for all the paper that's piled on the desk, credenza, bookshelves, guest chairs, and floor. My closet is tidy, but that should change when I start putting clothes back into it. Oh, today I'm a bit slovenly with a shirt that fits like a pup tent (neck fits, though), but today's one of those days. Maybe I am consistent with this stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads