• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Housing fantasies

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired by
Originally Posted by inq89
^That would be my dream place. In my hometown, there are a couple of downtown warehouses that used to be a tobacco company that are being revitalized into office, retail, and home space. I'd love to grab one once I'm out of school. There's something beautiful and damn sexy about the bare aesthetics...bare red brick, hard wood floors, exposed beams, etc.
in the bachelor pad decoration thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=129446&page=4 I'd love to buy a small warehouse-type building for cheap in a smaller city, like a city in the midwest or south that used to be on an important rail line or a river or something, and turn it into a loft-style residence. Actually, I'd also like to buy a mansion in a smaller city that was built in like 1870-1920 by the rich guy in the small city who got rich by owning the warehouses or the shipping company or whatever. And I'm assuming a robber baron mansion in Cairo, IL would be a lot cheaper than a robber baron mansion in St. Paul or another bigger city. Well, maybe Cairo, IL is too creepy ghost-townlike. Maybe Quincy, IL. AND more ridiculously, I have been fantasizing lately about the idea of turning abandoned suburban big-box stores and strip malls into loft-style residences, hahaha. It's easy to imagine a 100-year-old warehouse being a stylish loft, since it has obvious character, but it's more of a challenge trying to figure out what would make a 1970s supermarket and attached strip mall that has been abandoned for a bigger 2000s supermarket into a stylish housing setup. What goofy housing fantasies have you entertained? (Could be building your own house in fortress-moderne style overlooking the Snake River Gorge or something, doesn't have to involve renovating existing buildings)

jefe

Reaction score
Maybe not 1970s, but I bet some 1960s strip centers could be turned into pretty excellent multi-family housing - but it would be ridiculously expensive to retrofit.

I want an Eichler/Cliff May original to renovate. And since it's fantasy land, I want to have sufficient funding to renovate full-time and spare no expense. We're renovating a 1950s ranch right now and cheesy as it may be, I love the aesthetic of the era.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog

Well, maybe Cairo, IL is too creepy ghost-townlike. Maybe Quincy, IL.

Quincy has some fantastic big old houses. They ran into a problem some years back when they raised taxes to the point of being painful and everyone started donating those giant old houses to the church with the stipulation that they could remain in the house until they died so that they could avoid taxes.

You can pick up some pretty neat properties in Detroit if you're adventurous right now. Driving through Detroit gives me all kinds of crazy ideas for things one could do with a cheap starting point and a giant pair of balls.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want Tony Stark's house in Malibu that was used in "Iron Man."
wow.gif

Casey

Reaction score
I would like to have a Spanish style house with white walls and red roofs overlooking the beach in La Jolla, Del Mar, or even Santa Monica or Newport Beach... It's a very typical dream house for people in California but I'm very into Spanish architecture, I love the exposed beams and natural lighting. I don't see the point of living in California if you don't take advantage of all the sun. Unless you're in one of those random agricultural cities that nobody's ever heard of.

However, no matter how new or old the house is, I have no have modern furniture on the inside. I don't want my house to be all stiff and mahogony-y. I like simple colors and shapes that are easy to look at.

And I would have tall skinny palm trees. I hate when people don't trim their palm trees. It's ugly and also a fire hazard. I would chill in the backyard by the infinity pool listening to my ipod whenever I'm not working ****** off paying for the damn place (which is never, and that's fine since I don't do that kind of stuff).

Maybe I'll have a different point of view after living in another city but for now, this is what I'd like.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hogwarts Castle, where everything you see is stone, wood, or leather.

skyman

Reaction score
Turning a school into a home would be pretty cool, that many rooms to just go crazy.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would like a shoe box, in the middle of the road.

If not that, a hole with a tarp over it. Oh, how we longed for a tarp when I was growing up.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Easy, I'd just have my GF (and probably soon to be fiancee) build me whatever she wants. She is an architect, I am not.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyman
Turning a school into a home would be pretty cool, that many rooms to just go crazy.

A father of an acquaintance of mine did just that. Apparently he turned the gymnasium into a theatre room.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just a small cottage with a lot of room around it, but with all shops still within driving distance.. I've dealt with living in large houses, big urban apartments and most stuff in between, a low roofed cottage with a forest nearby would be perfect...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Easy, I'd just have my GF (and probably soon to be fiancee) build me whatever she wants. She is an architect, I am not.

whoa and you're not even married yet !
facepalm.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Large self-sufficient estate with giant manor/castle in the English countryside.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
whoa and you're not even married yet !
facepalm.gif

1. She knows me well, extremely well and wouldn't do things she'd know I'd hate.
2. She really is an architect.
3. My only requirement is a space for some books and an Eames lounge chair. I don't really have a desire for anything else beyond the ordinary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads