• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hotel..."American Owned and Operated"

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
If you passed a sign on the highway that read something like this, how would you interpret the "American owned and Operated" ?

I am not trying to provoke anyone, or start any sort of argument. I just want your opinion.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would interpret that to mean it's going to go out of business soon...

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I would interpret that to mean it's going to go out of business soon...

Funny.

I would interpret it in a slightly offensive tone, and probably a bit of
tinfoil.gif
. It wouldn't change my opinion about it, though. I'd go if it looked like a nice place.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I guess I was just confused, you can't own a business in America if you aren't an American--correct?

I guess I read very subtle racism into, like we are 'American' so we manage our business better than....x.

(what is the significance of that smiley BTW... i am dense.)

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know the legalities, but the Plaza Hotel is owned by an Israeli.

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I guess I was just confused, you can't own a business in America if you aren't an American--correct?

I guess I read very subtle racism into, like we are 'American' so we manage our business better than....x.

(what is the significance of that smiley BTW... i am dense.)

You must see "Racism" in Everything??

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
maybe, it is quite possible I see racism in places it might not be.

I guess I just didn't get what would make want to stay there over somewhere else... why did they feel it was necessary to advertise 'American owned and Operated'... what was the point?

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess I just didn't get what would make want to stay there over somewhere else... why did they feel it was necessary to advertise 'American owned and Operated'... what was the point?

I agree. I could care less. I just want the best available product or service for the price regardless of where its from or where the person is from. But, there are people that would rather buy American made even if it costs more and is an inferior product. For example, why would anyone buy and drink Budweiser beer? I know its not American owned anymore...but most don't.
smile.gif

x26

Reaction score

I first saw what you are speaking of after 9-11. I suppose it's to say "Buy American" help Americans first.
Sort of when I shop I buy local first , than State than American thus trying to help my local economy first. Nothing "Demonic" or "Hateful".

ETA: Except: German for cars/Swiss for Watches/Imports for Beer...

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
So I guess I was unaware of people who arent in the us owning hotels here, i guess it makes sense... but why would they buy a hotel in Kansas?

I just couldn't help but think they were implying "stay at our hotel we are American Americans, not some other sort of Americans like our competition"

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i see "Black Owned and Operated" stores in detroit all the time. racism? i sure think so

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not racist by the owners. It is merely providing more info to the customer. If a customer would or wouldn't go because of this, then maybe they are racist, although "American" is pretty vague and xenophobic is more accurate.

mikemas22

Reaction score
Incorrect. You can own a business in America if you are not American. On a different note: what type of American does the business in the OP's post mean? Native American? America born American? Naturalized American? American raised in Europe? Anything else?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I interpret those signs to mean "white people at the front desk - not Indians or Pakistanis." I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the sign means.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads