• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hotel..."American Owned and Operated"

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A surprisingly large number of small hotels/motels seem to be owned or run by Indians or Pakistanis, often with the last name of Patel. I think this "American owned" thing is a xenophobic reaction to that fact. Someone once told me that the name Patel means innkeeper. That may be an urban legend. The surname Patel is common in that field of work.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that it is mildy racist, but it is the reaction of a small business that is strugling to stay alive and probrably won't very long. there are chunks of the population that will give business to an amiercan owned motel because they see it as patriatic, and the owners are leveraging that.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
maybe, it is quite possible I see racism in places it might not be.
That is because you do not know what racism is. "America" or "Americans" are not a race.
Originally Posted by robbie
I guess I just didn't get what would make want to stay there over somewhere else... why did they feel it was necessary to advertise 'American owned and Operated'... what was the point?
This goes back a long way and with the current economic situation has new urgency. It is their way of saying "Buy American". Keep your dollars in America.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I think that it is mildy racist, but it is the reaction of a small business that is strugling to stay alive and probrably won't very long. there are chunks of the population that will give business to an amiercan owned motel because they see it as patriatic, and the owners are leveraging that.
I would be interested in why you think this is racist in the least?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silverback

Read my post at the top of this page.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
A surprisingly large number of small hotels/motels seem to be owned or run by Indians or Pakistanis, often with the last name of Patel. I think this "American owned" thing is a xenophobic reaction to that fact. Someone once told me that the name Patel means innkeeper. That may be an urban legend. The surname Patel is common in that field of work.

This is the right answer to OPs question. Indians, mostly Patels, are/have taken over the motel owning business in the US. I have friends and relatives (Patels) that own motels in the smallest towns in the US. One of my good friends owns one in Red Lodge, MT. About 8 hrs away from any big city.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
This is the right answer to OPs question. Indians, mostly Patels, are/have taken over the motel owning business in the US. I have friends and relatives (Patels) that own motels in the smallest towns in the US. One of my good friends owns one in Red Lodge, MT. About 8 hrs away from any big city.

What's with the name Patel? There are 5 or 6 indian people that I know with that last name, and none are related.

A sign like that would make me much less likely to stay there. I doubt it meant the hotel wasn't owned buy a large Chinese corporation, it meant there were white people behind the counter, like Baron said.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
That is because you do not know what racism is. "America" or "Americans" are not a race.

This goes back a long way and with the current economic situation has new urgency. It is their way of saying "Buy American". Keep your dollars in America.

If you went to a restaurant that said "American owned and operated" and it was run by a ***********, you'd claim otherwise.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
If you went to a restaurant that said "American owned and operated" and it was run by a ***********, you'd claim otherwise.

I wouldn't. Almost all of us are immigrants if you go a few generations back.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
What's with the name Patel? There are 5 or 6 indian people that I know with that last name, and none are related.

A sign like that would make me much less likely to stay there. I doubt it meant the hotel wasn't owned buy a large Chinese corporation, it meant there were white people behind the counter, like Baron said.

I am not a Patel so I don't really know their whole background, except that the chances of them being related to each other is small. In the Gujarati culture, a few last names dominate, and they rarely dictate lineage (not true all the time, but in most cases). A majority of them are very entrepreneurial in nature, and hence own motels/gas stations/convenience stores all over the country.

B1FF

Reaction score
It means it is owned and operated by Mom and Pop and not owned by a Dutch bank and operated by a Israeli management company.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Don't project your racism on me.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would assume that the owner was white as opposed to from the Indian sub-continent.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because the suggestion is that you would prefer an "American" motel over one run by a "non-American". Otherwise why point it out?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

because I think that the assumpion is that it is owned and operated by white people, not indians or other imagrants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads