• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hongkong vs bangkok (Tanika, Narin)

Maxxy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would like to ask if there is someone that can compare between top tailors in bangkok like tanika and narin (both of which I did a couple of suits already) vs above average tailors in hongkong like Gordon Yao, grand tailor (causeway bay)

If anyone made suits before in tanika or narin and grand tailor could kindly comment on which hand work is better? Btw I like a more British structured suit with roped shoulders. I wanted to commission a suit with wwchan but they only accept 100% upfront payment which i am not comfortable with so I’m currently not considering them.

Anothee thing I realize is the prices at narin are almost the same as wwchan on the higher end fabrics like zegna 15mil mil and you have to add extra 15,000baht for full canvassed
For tanika I feel that the work seems to be better than narin slightly and they are also more accommodating.
So any advice from seniors here? Should I move to a hongkong tailor or stick to tanika?

Reaction score
Gordon is way better than tankia. That's all I know from personal experience. Gordon had no trouble with my massive weigh lifter thighs and thin waste relative that really requires the bespoke touch to get right. Can only compare pants since Gorodn made me a suit and tankia made pants.

gamlet

Reaction score
I would say WW Chan - the only place in HK I can offer experience about - is a cut above anything in Bangkok. I like Tanika, they are sweet people. but I am not sure they do a paper model for "bespoke" ( they certainly don't keep them for future reference so it suggests they don't ) ; given that the prices are about the same, you should go Hong Kong. There is no real menswear scene in Bangkok apart from Decorum in Ari, and they are not tailors ( they do great suits with Dalcuore for $5000 and takes a year ). Otherwise, it's predictable fashion brands and second rate tailors. I like Tailor on Ten for shorts and pants, but they don't do canvassing, so it's a no for suits. But back to Tanika and Chan : the Chan fit can have problems if Patrick Chu is not cutting - which he won't be - and it takes a while to get it right. But it's bespoke fit all the same, comfortable and hand-made. I have a nice linen jacket from Tanika, which is likely what they do best - unlined, so-so chest canvas which seems like its glued. Not really on the level for that kind of money, but the cut is nice.

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Interesting thread, we got love for both BK and HK. If you're in HK this weekend:

Check out our pop-up shop this weekend in Sheung Wan (april 26-28). More info here on our Facebook event page.

We'll be showing our MTM Suits/shirts collection, along with all accessories (ties, leather goods and more). Come and have a drink, try some standard sizes and have a good conversation.

Hope to see you guys!

Karin, Anders & Shuta

Ps. If you want to book a consultation, you can do it here. We'll be launching our new designs (pardon the low quality images).
once-a-day-suit-jacket--8.jpg once-a-day-suit-jacket--7.jpg once-a-day-suit-jacket--6.jpg once-a-day-suit-jacket--5.jpg once-a-day-suit-jacket--4.jpg once-a-day-suit-jacket--3.jpg once-a-day-suit-jacket--2.jpg

Maxxy

Reaction score
Hi Gamlet, thanks for your response. Can I know how much you paid for the unlined linen jacket at Tanika? I’m now trying to make a suit at Gaudery in hk from my first fitting seems not bad for the pants very nice drape.

I would say WW Chan - the only place in HK I can offer experience about - is a cut above anything in Bangkok. I like Tanika, they are sweet people. but I am not sure they do a paper model for "bespoke" ( they certainly don't keep them for future reference so it suggests they don't ) ; given that the prices are about the same, you should go Hong Kong. There is no real menswear scene in Bangkok apart from Decorum in Ari, and they are not tailors ( they do great suits with Dalcuore for $5000 and takes a year ). Otherwise, it's predictable fashion brands and second rate tailors. I like Tailor on Ten for shorts and pants, but they don't do canvassing, so it's a no for suits. But back to Tanika and Chan : the Chan fit can have problems if Patrick Chu is not cutting - which he won't be - and it takes a while to get it right. But it's bespoke fit all the same, comfortable and hand-made. I have a nice linen jacket from Tanika, which is likely what they do best - unlined, so-so chest canvas which seems like its glued. Not really on the level for that kind of money, but the cut is nice.
i

gamlet

Reaction score
I paid about $600 for that, maybe a little more with exchange rates fluctuations. So, it's cheapish for made to measure, which is what it really is, but it's not a bespoke fit in my opinion : Bangkok tailors just don't have the skill set for that. Build quality is also very average, as you'd expect. It looks good on though - Japanese linen, so not the highest quality. In general, I don't think Bangkok tailoring is particularly good value. You can get better for the same money in Europe and even shirts - the one bright spot here - are 160 euros at Simone Abbarchi in Florence, which are true bespoke, and therefore cheaper than Tanika! Honestly, I only use Bangkok tailors because I live here, I am farang and nothing fits in stores and because - well, there are no menswear stores of any interest anyway. Nothing like the Armoury or Attire in Hong Kong, which are excellent - but which do not stock anything above a 54 in jackets. In Asia, you really have to go to Japan and do bespoke or take the slight risk with WW Chan in HK : good, but some cut and fit issues. All in all, if you are spending the $2000 to get a bespoke suit in this part of the world ( because everything under that is basically crap ) I think Chan is the way to go.

gamlet

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Interesting thread, we got love for both BK and HK. If you're in HK this weekend:

Check out our pop-up shop this weekend in Sheung Wan (april 26-28). More info here on our Facebook event page.

We'll be showing our MTM Suits/shirts collection, along with all accessories (ties, leather goods and more). Come and have a drink, try some standard sizes and have a good conversation.

Hope to see you guys!

Karin, Anders & Shuta

Ps. If you want to book a consultation, you can do it here. We'll be launching our new designs (pardon the low quality images).
View attachment 1165205 View attachment 1165206 View attachment 1165207 View attachment 1165208 View attachment 1165209 View attachment 1165210 View attachment 1165211

The double breasted blazer is lovely

gamlet

Reaction score
Hi Gamlet, thanks for your response. Can I know how much you paid for the unlined linen jacket at Tanika? I’m now trying to make a suit at Gaudery in hk from my first fitting seems not bad for the pants very nice drape.

i

I might try Gordon Yao at some point, he is supposed to be good. Narin I've only done shirts with, and they were hopeless : again, not really bespoke, MTM cut to a pattern which simply didn't fit my body at all. A complete waste of money. I wore my 4 shirts once, found them extremely uncomfortable to wear and then threw them away. $150 a pop down the drain. I dread to think what the suits are like. A friend of mine had one made and actually returned it it was so bad. He got the refund though. I wonder if Narin just has a measurements blind spot problem - quite a drastic issue for a tailor!

Maxxy

Reaction score
Maybe you need to tell them you want full canvassed it will cost an additional $400 then they will do better quality work and proper canvassing that is not glue. I would like to try wwchan but they insist on full payment upfront which I’m uncomfortable with. Would love to make suits in Europe though but there will be problems with flying there frequently for fittings.

I paid about $600 for that, maybe a little more with exchange rates fluctuations. So, it's cheapish for made to measure, which is what it really is, but it's not a bespoke fit in my opinion : Bangkok tailors just don't have the skill set for that. Build quality is also very average, as you'd expect. It looks good on though - Japanese linen, so not the highest quality. In general, I don't think Bangkok tailoring is particularly good value. You can get better for the same money in Europe and even shirts - the one bright spot here - are 160 euros at Simone Abbarchi in Florence, which are true bespoke, and therefore cheaper than Tanika! Honestly, I only use Bangkok tailors because I live here, I am farang and nothing fits in stores and because - well, there are no menswear stores of any interest anyway. Nothing like the Armoury or Attire in Hong Kong, which are excellent - but which do not stock anything above a 54 in jackets. In Asia, you really have to go to Japan and do bespoke or take the slight risk with WW Chan in HK : good, but some cut and fit issues. All in all, if you are spending the $2000 to get a bespoke suit in this part of the world ( because everything under that is basically crap ) I think Chan is the way to go.

gamlet

Reaction score
Maybe you need to tell them you want full canvassed it will cost an additional $400 then they will do better quality work and proper canvassing that is not glue. I would like to try wwchan but they insist on full payment upfront which I’m uncomfortable with. Would love to make suits in Europe though but there will be problems with flying there frequently for fittings.

Already did that because I'd never go fused. But in reality only Narin and Tanika can do that and it's an open question whether they do it well. There's not much demand in Bangkok for canvassed suits or jackets. Again, for that HK and Bangkok are the same price...

Chronic_Zero

Reaction score

How was the final experience with The Gaudery? Their style seems interesting but can't find many first-hand opinions on their products online

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads