• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong restaurant recommendations?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Im sure I am going to get clubbed for this, but I find HK to be one of the worst eating cities in Asia.

Please elaborate.

Is it because many consider HK as a culinary one-trick pony, not much offerings beyond Chinese and over-priced offshoots of Western celeb chefs?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It`s not THAT bad. Maybe you are talking about the non-Chinese restaurants...many of those are bad (or should I say, not that good).

If you are only going to be in H.K. for 1 night, I would try to get some recommendations for the Kowloon side too. Maybe there is a good place where you can get a view (the view is better from Kowloon).

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a view from Kowloon side and good Cantonese food, Yan Toh Heen in the Intercontinental is the place.

Hutong has beautiful views but does not serve Canto food.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Is it because many consider HK as a culinary one-trick pony, not much offerings beyond Chinese and over-priced offshoots of Western celeb chefs?
a little bit of column a, a little bit of column b. Cantonese food just doesn't do it for me at all. Heavy on the oil and heavy on the bland. I had a HK gf for years, who took me to all kinds of places ranging from "very famous for its [insert food here]" backalley hell holes with leaky ceilings, to top floor restaurants in top hotels, in a futile attempt to convince me that Canto food was wonderful. Curry fishballs notwithstanding, she failed on all counts, left me to my McDonalds while she went for her congee. The other cuisines available there, meh...as you said, overpriced and below par.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm rather keen on Cantonese cuisine and also Hong Kong's take on Western cuisine, which is to be found in assorted "bistro" like affairs around the city, sometimes in conjunction with a bakery.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'm rather keen on Cantonese cuisine and also Hong Kong's take on Western cuisine, which is to be found in assorted "bistro" like affairs around the city, sometimes in conjunction with a bakery.

I haven't been to many bistros or Western food places in HK but there were 2 that stood out.

IFC has this restaurant beside the Ice Rink that makes these interesting fusion foods - I'm not particularly fond of the Japanese but I found the pizzas delicious. The skating was quite good.

I did not like the Armani Cafe. It was highly priced and the food was not spectacular.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This report is stale by nearly 11 years, but some of the best restaurants I've ever visited were in HK.

At the Peninsula, Gaddi's was doing excellent French food. Across the highway on the water (at the Regent Hotel, I think), there was a fantastic seafood place. Lai Ching Heen, perhaps? The prawn with black bean was like nothing else I've had in that line.

For the rest, there were a lot of dim sum places that were more than adequate. A local should be able to tell you where the joint du jour is in that department.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Im sure I am going to get clubbed for this, but I find HK to be one of the worst eating cities in Asia.

Asstwat

K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey! D'ya mind! I'm trying to plan a nice restaurant and you two have me losing my appetite!

Smegmaheads!

E

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Hey! D'ya mind! I'm trying to plan a nice restaurant and you two have me losing my appetite!

Smegmaheads!

E

Sorry... Although smegma has got to be nastier than ass, twat, *** or tounge.

K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Sorry... Although smegma has got to be nastier than ass, twat, *** or tounge. K
Depends which way you roll
smile.gif

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To revive this topic (looks like there is a bazillion of topics on tailors in Hong Kong but not much else), I have a little similar question.

I'm staying in HK this week due to business. They've placed me in a hotel close to Nathan Road in TST and I'm off on my own at least Tuesday night and Wednesday night, perhaps also Friday night.
What should I definitively do while I'm here? I'm more or less on a budget and would like to not go too much over 100 EUR a night.
Where should I go to eat and are there any nice bars/lounges around to have a drink? I didn't see much except too many designer stores and some loud, crowded but nice restaurants where I've had Dim Sum and Peking Duck.

I'm open for every kind of suggestion!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
a little bit of column a, a little bit of column b.

Cantonese food just doesn't do it for me at all. Heavy on the oil and heavy on the bland.

I had a HK gf for years, who took me to all kinds of places ranging from "very famous for its [insert food here]" backalley hell holes with leaky ceilings, to top floor restaurants in top hotels, in a futile attempt to convince me that Canto food was wonderful. Curry fishballs notwithstanding, she failed on all counts, left me to my McDonalds while she went for her congee.

The other cuisines available there, meh...as you said, overpriced and below par.

I don't know, sounds like she took you to the wrong place, cantonese cuisine isn't suppose to be heavy on oil.

supplychainman

Reaction score
7 years later.... any new recommendations? I will be there for 5 nights and currently plan on going to Kams Roast Goose, Bo Innovation, and 22 ships for dinner. We'll probably try dim sum places for lunch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads