• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hong Kong Hotels.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are there any interesting hotels in Hong Kong?

I have Herbet Ypma's "Hip Hotels" but he only mentions the Peninsula which is a bit predictable. I also understand there is a Starck designed Jia Hotel.

I would prefer it to be in Kowloon.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to be in Kowloon and avoid the usual suspects, try Langham Place in Mongkok. It is not quite as soulless as the bigger chains, but not cutting-edge either. The rooms in the Jia Hotel are uninspiring and felt like more a hipster's attempt at "modern" decor. Though it is the only decent boutique I am aware of in HK.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
If you want to be in Kowloon and avoid the usual suspects, try Langham Place in Mongkok. It is not quite as soulless as the bigger chains, but not cutting-edge either. The rooms in the Jia Hotel are uninspiring and felt like more a hipster's attempt at "modern" decor. Though it is the only decent boutique I am aware of in HK.
You would think there would be experimental hotels in Hong Kong but evidently, nothing. I don't recall who said it, but someone said Hong Kong people have the worst taste, the more gold the better. Maybe it was Joyce Ma.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
You would think there would be experimental hotels in Hong Kong but evidently, nothing. I don't recall who said it, but someone said Hong Kong people have the worst taste, the more gold the better. Maybe it was Joyce Ma.

That is quite true, most HK people have no taste, they just buy whatever the magazines tells them to buy.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Are there any interesting hotels in Hong Kong?

I have Herbet Ypma's "Hip Hotels" but he only mentions the Peninsula which is a bit predictable. I also understand there is a Starck designed Jia Hotel.

I would prefer it to be in Kowloon.

There is a new boutique hotel opening on the Kowloon side, with some supposedly pretty avantgarde restaurants. However the name of which escapes me at the moment. I'll check back tonight. The Landmark Mandarin is also considered a boutique hotel, but that is in Central.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why, Labelking you coming to hk? Send the HKers a PM and we can take you around!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on Langham. Also maybe good old Conrad Hotel.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Peninsula obviously doesn't need any further details. It's one of the best known in the world. I also like the Intercontinental Hong Kong and the Island Shangri-La. Both are top notch in service and in accomodations. The latter is on Hong Kong side.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last few recommendations are for chain hotels. If you want one of those, go to the Four Seasons. It is everything one would expect.

pkincy

Reaction score
Whatever happened to the Regent in HK?

Perry

victory

Reaction score
If you've stayed at the Peninsula before and are looking for something different, I understand. On the other hand, if you've never stayed there before but can afford to, I would definitely recommend it. Especially with the following offer:

http://www.peninsula.com/suite_life.html

Stay one night, get one night free in a suite. It's only good for the two nights so if perhaps you're staying more than 2 nights, you could split your stay.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The LKF HOTEL (Lan Kwai Fong) on Hollywood Road - just up behind Central.
Great location, nice rooms and good choice of F&B.

Jia - is a bit dated now.

The Grand Hyatt - is still legendary.

Four Seasons - Great views = very $$$$

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by earthdragon

The Grand Hyatt - is still legendary.

Four Seasons - Great views = very $$$$

hum....I lived in the service apartments (managed by Marriot) in the Grand Hyatt complex for over a year so I am familiar with the hotel. IMO, it's getting quite old. The attached club, JJ's, used to be the hottest place in HK but is now a Thai food restaurant with a R&B band, go figure.

as for the four seasons, extremely overrated! I have never stayed there but have ate there, drank there, and my firm held its Xmas party there last year. The food and the service were both horrible for a hotel of this caliber.

If you are going to splurge, stay at the Mandarin, get your business, shopping (John Lobb is at the lobby level), dining (Pierre), and entertaining all done without even stepping a foot outside (especially important for summer!). The renovation is very subtle and retains the old world feel, but you can definately sense the freshness of it all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads