• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holiday Shipping in the NE

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always been relatively happy with UPS shipping, and them delivering (no pun intended) on what they promise to do. However, with the weather we've had in the NE this past week, and the lack of cleanup in NYC, I feel as if I've been let down a bit. Well after the storm had passed I've used UPS to accept a delivery (2nd day air) and sent a package (Next Day-from Brooklyn, to Manhattan) and paid for the service. The first was actually a gift from my mom, ordered from Macy's for a coffee pot that we needed for New Years (ours was on the fritz and died just after Christmas). She paid for 2nd day air, and the package was supposed to be delivered 12/30 (ordered the morning of 12/27). No coffee pot. I had also forgotten a part of a delivery to a SFer staying in Manhattan when I delivered before the Xmas holiday, so on 12/30 when i found out, I paid for NEXT DAY (almost $30)delivery because I knew the SFer was leaving town on Monday 1/3. The UPS guys GUARANTEED, we went through all the possibilities, that this would get to the hotel NYE, as they aren't delivering Saturday (today, a holiday) and Sunday. Since UPS failed to deliver when promised (not so much upset about the coffee pot as I am about the NExt Day promise) should I expect them to either a. fwd the package to his foreign address (will his hotel do this perhaps) or b. expect my money back for the next day?

I understand there are somethings out of people's control, but shouldn't that get taken from the pockets of the billion dollar company rather than the individual customer? And secondly, should the UPS service guy have simply told me (5 days after the blizzard) that there was a chance the Next Day package may not arrive in one day?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Rob. Unless you have an account with UPS and ship with them regularly, I doubt there's anything they will do for you.

In instances like this, believe it or not, USPS is probably the better bet. For instance I ordered 2 pair of shoes from Hong Kong on the 27th and they were here by the 30th.

Same with the other 20 or so items I won on eBay. Got everything before the holiday, no problem.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Sorry to hear that Rob. Unless you have an account with UPS and ship with them regularly, I doubt there's anything they will do for you.

In instances like this, believe it or not, USPS is probably the better bet. For instance I ordered 2 pair of shoes from Hong Kong on the 27th and they were here by the 30th.

Same with the other 20 or so items I won on eBay. Got everything before the holiday, no problem.

I don't have an account, but almost always do all my shipping through them, and I am saved in their computers...so maybe...

My local PO is notoriously awful, which is why, despite the added cost, I prefer to use UPS. There was also a USPS shipment I was expecting two days ago which never arrived, but I expected that, eventhough the shipper paid for expedited delivery. Its another reason why I choose to have almost EVERYTHING shipped to my school...they are usually very good when it comes to getting things to a school on time.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My local PO is a nightmare, too.

I got my parcel carriers phone number and text him when I'm expecting something. Same with my UPS dude. Helps tremendously. Cause I'm OCD when it comes to my packages
lookaround.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads