• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hickey options

houston

Reaction score
The next suit I was thinking of adding to my wardrobe is a charcoal chalk or pinstripe to round out the other basics I have aquired (navy and charcoal solids, navy pin, khaki summer suit). I work in a conservative office and need something I can wear quite often that looks classy without being trendy or seeming over the top expensive. As I can only afford to buy suits occasionally I have to make sure I hit the nail on the head when I do, so I'm relying on style forum's advice to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

Right now I am heavily leaning toward a hickey freeman madison model 3 button and double vents. I could also opt for this model in a 2 button (currently all my other suits are two buttons. By the way, I am a 42R, about 5'10" and 180. Any advice would be appreciated.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much are you planning on paying? I like the HF Madison model more than all other HF models, but if you are paying anywhere near retail, you can probably do better, though perhaps not in a pinch. Personally, I would go two button as long as the stance is high (on Madison it is pretty high) and has the double vents still. A three button will probably make you look a little stalky.

houston

Reaction score
Unfortunately I need it quickly and I really don't have much time to wait and search for a good bargain. I was thinking Corneliani, but had problems finding what I wanted from them.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd say it represents a pretty good bargain at retail (comparing retail to retail), assuming the fit is good for you. It's a nice cut.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you don't mind my asking, houston, are you, in fact, from Houston? If so, where are you looking?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conservative offices still exist? Damn, you are lucky
smile.gif
I don't know if you are thinking Hickey at MSRP, but if you can wait about a week, I'd look online. For the same price: This Belvest is spectacular, if you wanted to try a double breasted. This 3-piece Isaia is also gorgeous, and I would be surprised if you got outbid over $950. I would love either of those suits.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually I'm in the DC area.
Oh, well.

In any event, I know that some others have had bad experiences with Hickey MTM, but the suit and the sportcoat that I ordered from them a few years ago were just fine. It's not the most exciting brand in the world, but I think that they offer decent value for the money, particularly if you don't want to chase around all over creation looking for a better deal.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This 3-piece Isaia is also gorgeous, and I would be surprised if you got outbid over $950.  

I really don't like this seller, although his stuff seems to be genuine.  Note the small print in the auction:

*This an approx. MSRP, not the STREET price (what a retailer may sell it for).

which is a complete piece of bullshit, based on a completely bogus markup.  Lots of higher end manufacturers do not have MSRPs, but there is a customary range of markups.  That is why the retail price for a Zegna suit at Neimans is approx. the same as the retail for the comparable suit at say, Saks.  If this guy tried this stunt with, say Polo, which actually has a MSRP, he would be lying outright.  As it is, he is just misrepresenting the market price of his products by about 1/3.  For comparison, an Gianluca Isaia super 150s tux at Louis (hardly a fly by night operation) retails at just under $2500.  His quoted prices are at Kiton+ levels here.  I would avoid this seller on principle.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His auction pages are so busy they also should state at the top
Warning: may cause seizures

houston

Reaction score
While both quite nice suits, I couldn't get away with wearing a black pinstripe or a DB suit frequently to the office, which is how I plan to wear it.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I just bought 2 hickey Madisons myself, Charcoal and Grey-Stripe, for $550 each at Rothmans in NYC. Give them a call and see what they still off. I actually bought a Hickey 100% Cashmere overcoat as well. I know people find better buy on ebay but I can't tell what something looks like online so I find it hard to buy suits. Most of Hockey's suits are 2 button. They make a couple 3-button but mainly 2. Call Rothmans, they will ship and you get it on a day or two. 212-777-7400. No, I don't work there, I am unqualified to worrk in the underwear section of K-mart let alone a mens clothing store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads