• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey SF. New Brooks Brothers Employee here. Any advice?

Yorsch

Reaction score
Hey Guys.
I wanted to join Brooks Brothers for a while, and finally opportunity came up.
I will be a part-time SA in completely new location with brand new team.
Right now we are in a middle of 2 week training.
So far its been only 2 days, but I learned a lot about the heritage, philosophy, values and standards.

Now, I don't really have much direct experience with BB, so wanted to hear your input.
Quick search showed plenty of threads mentioning BB dating between 2003-2009, but from what i learned company went through a lot of transitions through past couple years.

I have noticed SF has mixed feelings about BB, so I am curious to hear your concerns. Some of you have been shopping with BB for a while, some of you discovered recently, some turned away.

I'm interested in what you value and dislike about Brooks Brothers, what merchandise/ product lines/ ideas you like and dislike. As a sales associate, how can i improve your experience as a customer?

While this job is temporary for me, until I graduate University (next year) and move into my career field, I would appreciate any input that would help me the best out of this experience and provide a superior customer service.

Thank you

Last edited:

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Don't be a dick to young people who are looking to spend money in your store by assuming that they are just wasting your time because they're young.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
Congrats on the job, the Georgetown store offers great pay and benefits. I have some friends who work there while they are finishing college. One of the biggest things to know is that BB is trying to reinvent their image. They are trying to walk away from the old man brand and market to younger people (students and young professionals). In fact, my friend was paid by BB to go to the Foxfield Races last week to promote the company to the students there.

the MOST important thing you can do to improve the customers experience there is to really know every item in the store so when someone comes in you can show them anything they want with excitement and enthusiasm.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

the MOST important thing you can do to improve the customers experience there is to really know every item in the store so when someone comes in you can show them anything they want with excitement and enthusiasm.

+1, i was saying it all in jest but this is absolutely true. be informative and engaging, not stuffy and arrogant.

Yorsch

Reaction score

Congrats on the job, the Georgetown store offers great pay and benefits. I have some friends who work there while they are finishing college. One of the biggest things to know is that BB is trying to reinvent their image. They are trying to walk away from the old man brand and market to younger people (students and young professionals). In fact, my friend was paid by BB to go to the Foxfield Races last week to promote the company to the students there.

Thank you. In my previous retail jobs I learned that product knowledge is the best tool one can have.
In regards to youth appeal it is true. They are opening two stores at the same time, and one of them is Flatiron store, minutes away from major university campus, and new staff majorly consisting of young individuals. I assume the regular clientele is getting older, and this is a great move to connect with youth and slowly introduce them to classic BB.

Don't be a dick to young people who are looking to spend money in your store by assuming that they are just wasting your time because they're young.

I totally understand where you coming from, as I am myself in early twenties, and had experienced similar frustration. I actually like working with young people as it is easier to connect. Especially enjoy educating people on menswear, and learning something new from customers as well.

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
Cool thread. I'm a huge fan of the Black Fleece line, and I've really enjoyed seeing BB's mainline swipe cues from Thom Browne's designs and aesthetic over the past few years. Brooks Brothers is definitely in a transition period, meaning some of the employees who have been around forever aren't hip to the new developments. I've definitely had several SAs ignore me because of my age, but I've had some recently who have been very helpful and friendly, one who was nice enough to break the rules and tell me when the next sale was going to be.

Like many older menswear retailers, BB had been recycling their designs for decades and doing very well. Their decision to shake things up and appeal to younger customers is a welcome change, one that (IMO) they've already begun to accomplish. Their women's line in particular is miles ahead of where it was just a few years ago. I was in BB with my girlfriend last December. She had always thought of BB as a line for men and older women, but found that she liked almost every women's piece on the floor. Basically just keep up the new policy - maintain BBs legendary tradition and heritage without being stifled by it.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I completely agree with this. Also don't treat people who don't dress up to go shopping like they are wasting your time.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score

I completely agree with this. Also don't treat people who don't dress up to go shopping like they are wasting your time.

Ive found that I get the most attention dressing in tatters whilst shopping at high end stores. Torn black hoodie, stretched out hanes v neck, timberland boot with a hole in the leather seems to get attention. I guess they assume its probably margelia or raf simons. I dont ever ever dress this way, but I have for social experimentation and really find it hilarious.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can learn how to properly size and fit people to the clothing and items in your store, you will be invaluable.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is off topic, but does anyone else think BB needs to simplify their various cuts? Now they have: Madison, Regent, Fitzgerald, Milano, Cambridge...

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

My biggest turn-off is the SA's with attitude who act visibly annoyed to be wasting their time helping you. Another is SA's who do not know their product and/or try to shove you into a jacket that does not fit right just because they do not have your real size in stock. I have a great SA who goes to the trouble to check inventory to find the right size and steers me away from certain sizes/fits/items. I always request him every time I go to BB.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you can learn how to properly size and fit people to the clothing and items in your store, you will be invaluable.
+1
Way too few sales assoc have any idea how to actually size a jacket

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

+2. However, even more important than sizing and fitting, you should explain to customers why something does or doesn't fit. Have them select the size they're used to buying and walk them through where things could/should fit better.

It's tricky because here we feel a SA should be an informed teacher or, at least, an informed observer. Someone who will understand what you're after and guide you on your way. In reality, however, this is your job, you need to make money and, honestly, there are not many dudes out there that care. Because of this, salesmen have reverted to sales tactics and a thought process that gets people in, paid and out so they can move onto the next customer. I'm sure as you work there more you will discover this.

The key to a truly great SA is finding a balance between understanding and sales. To lead a customer to informed decisions that will get them thinking and realizing the nuances but without leading to over-analyzing or fetishism, and in a manner that makes them only want to come back to you.

Last edited:

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lots of great suggestions so far..

^^ and as Bourbon already noted.....imo, be honest and don't be afread to tell prospective clients that their selection does not fit and/or not as flattering as it appear, just for sake of commission/sales.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics