1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hey Seniors, why are you still hanging around here on SF?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Master-Classter, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

The best thing about the internet is that people love to prove you wrong. So if you want information about something (historical or political) you just post something wrong on purpose and watch everyone deliver information to you just so they can show you how right they are. It's very effective.

This is genius.

2. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I believe it was Matt who likened SF to a bar... to go further DT has become the illegal backroom away from the main bar where gents can loosen their tie, maybe even remove their shoes, and just smoke a joint.

Don't forget the part about inserting your finger into someone's rectum.

They always forget that part.

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Don't forget the part about inserting your finger into someone's rectum.

They always forget that part.

That's because all of our pocket squares smell of chloroform.

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I've been around for more than seven years, and I haven't even racked up 3,000 posts, so you'd be right in assuming that SF is something of an occasional diversion for me. Because I'm not around as often as some, I tend not to get involved in too much of the forum drama, and most of the inside jokes go right over my head.

My primary interest remains in clothing, and I still spend most of my time in MC. I still feel like I have much to learn, and many members have provided valuable information and insight. And, from time to time, I think I have something to contribute. I imagine, for example, that the documentation of my Chan commissions has helped other members embarking on their own bespoke journey.

5. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

This is the only place where I can interact with people who think 250k is a totally reasonable minimum salary. This place is like a portal to a different dimension.

6. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

No-one turns up to "upper-middle class narcissist club" in real life, they all think they're too good for it...

Seriously, the trouble is that successful, intelligent people usually have a lot to do besides posting on the Internet.

There's topic-specific forums where you can learn from experts about a very specific thing, and there's generalist forums which tend to be populated by people with nothing better to do than spend time online.

SF occupies a happy middle ground where you get a good class of people, willing to talk intelligently about nearly anything. Even the politics threads here are quite an enjoyable read, almost everywhere else online they quickly devolve into wharrgabbl.

7. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

.. to go further DT has become the illegal backroom away from the main bar where gents can loosen their tie, maybe even remove their shoes, and just smoke a joint.
    no not really

8. Matt

Matt Senior member

I can't claim the bar metaphor, it long predates me. I use it as my moderating yard stick, but my earliest memory of it actually dates to Ambulance Chaser comparing SF to a wonky-legged-stooled dive bar and AAAC to a cigars wafting wing-chaired gentleman's club.

That was some time ago.

9. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ...Ambulance Chaser comparing SF to a wonky-legged-stooled dive bar and AAAC to a cigars wafting wing-chaired gentleman's club.

My how times have changed...

10. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

tranny tuesday. duh.

Seriously though, despite all the snark and bullshit in CE, I do occasionally learn something. B&S is great. And there's some cool peeps on here, even when they only have one ball or a dog that looks like a rat, or two earrings just like a girl.

11. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I can't claim the bar metaphor, it long predates me. I use it as my moderating yard stick, but my earliest memory of it actually dates to Ambulance Chaser comparing SF to a wonky-legged-stooled dive bar and AAAC to a cigars wafting wing-chaired gentleman's club.

That was some time ago.

the wonky-legged-stooled dive bar still stands, the wing-chaired gentleman's club is now a rotary club conference room

12. suited&booted

suited&booted Senior member

That was some time ago.

You used the bar metaphor when we were in a bar in Saigon few months back. We were slowly getting plastered and you were sandwiching the cute waitress with your Canadian buddy. Or was I quoting to you something I read about you saying something to that effect. Alcohol really ferks you up.

BTW, I have a Hanoi trip in November-ish? You around there?

13. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I'm not sure exactly..

14. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I am the fourth most senior member of SF who still posts regularly. Basically the president pro tempore of SF, which is fitting because I don't do much these days besides post in MMA and DC related threads. I am hoping that one day j will hop on his motorcycle and head for parts unknown, Steve B. will join the Tea Party, GQgeek will get a girlfriend, and SF will be MINE.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I am the fourth most senior member of SF who still posts regularly. Basically the president pro tempore of SF, which is fitting because I don't do much these days besides post in MMA and DC related threads. I am hoping that one day j will hop on his motorcycle and head for parts unknown, Steve B. will join the Tea Party, GQgeek will get a girlfriend, and SF will be MINE.

Why, hello Mr. Haig.

16. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

Tangentially, SF is also what I consider the best place to ask a question and get a good reply on anything, be it television shows, meditation, clothing, finance, Excel, dating (lol ok not really), recipes for a pound of baby crabs, Plan B, what to do in Geneva, etc. It is like Ask Jeeves but it is actually useful.

Yes. Very good advice here.

17. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Im here for the chicks

18. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Im here for the chicks
    all 2 of them?

19. Godot

Godot Senior member

I joined this forum about a year before the OP. I visit it occasionally, sometimes to kill time and sometimes to check out a particular item or style type. So far I've made 113 posts.
    The Op has in excess of 3000 posts and spends a major part of his life here. If you like it stay and if you don't like it leave. I don't mean this to be rude, but maybe it's time to look at another hobby.

20. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

My posts-per-day have declined dramatically. [​IMG]