1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

hermes belts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dandy1, Apr 21, 2012.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Judging by your past posts I think it's safe to say you are an aspiring troll. That said, the ubiquity of these belts on the internet and IRL tells me that people might actually believe what you have posted. So, I'll take the bait. Firstly, a Hermès “H” belt is the first thing a guy buys after he buys his last Ed Hardy shirt. You think you’ve taken a big step towards personal style, but in reality you’re still the same douche. The fact that you acknowledge it as "douchey" tells you a great deal about who you are and what you feel comfortable wearing. Why would you wear something knowing full well that you are being looked down upon for doing so? Are you being ironic? Are you projecting? I think member Holdfast might be able to lend more to that discussion. Secondly, the post you submitted "from another forum" is fundamentally misguided; at least when applied to the ethos and purpose of this forum. Classic menswear is all about understatement. It's about clean lines, artistry and details. All of these things need to work together for something to look appropriate and complete. The idea of things working together so well, that you're unable to put your finger on why you like a look. So, wearing a gaudy, showy belt completely ruins this effort. The belt becomes the center of your fit. And, conveniently, it just happens to be a big H to let everyone know how rich you are. Any continuity or harmony in a classic, understated look has now been ruined. The Hermès “H” belt was created for the misguided and self-conscious. While the rest of Hermès' offerings are understated and allow their craftsmanship to do that talking, the "H" belt stands alone as an offering for people that can't be content with just having the best. They must show it off. The designer (or executive) who thought this up for Hermès is no doubt a very smart man. There are tons of stupid and insecure people out there and they need the validation and recognition that a luxury brand brings. It shows you've arrived, but generally stems from a lack of security about how you got there. There is no doubt in my mind that there are millions of people that will think higher of you for owning and wearing a Hermès "H" belt, however sad that realization is. However, do know that these people have no concept of why they like the belt, aside from the fact that it creates a classist divide and establishes the idea that you are noticeably better than a poor person. And, unlike houses or yachts or fine wines, which are meant to be enjoyed in private by the owner, your belt is clearly and uncomfortably shoe-horned into your look to make a point. A point, I'm afraid, that is not respectable on any level.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
    3 people like this.
  2. GOSSIP

GOSSIP Member

That's a terrific post. I completely agree.

3. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

No, but the benefits of handstitching out weight not being able to make double sided belts IMHO so I'm happy making single sided belts that dont fall to bits ':)

Charlie

4. AMG1

AMG1 Senior member

+1

I knew about the stitching but not that all belts with such a buckle are reversible. Nice illustration though. I agree with Charlie that hand stitching outweighs the double sidedness of the belt. By the way for a belt that is not handstitched and does not have a Sterling Silver buckle prices are outrageous. The rest of Hermès is obviously outstanding but the belts are horrible.

5. kdv10

kdv10 Well-Known Member

That was a nice film. Thanks for sharing that Medwed.

6. Qualitypassion

Qualitypassion Member

I think it is not worth unless the H is all in Silver 925

7. lepermessiah

lepermessiah Active Member

It's only douchey when you tuck the shirt in like this to explicitly show off the H.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  8. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

When you're at Ronaldo's level, you do whatever you want.

In all seriousness, the H is ridiculous; I'm surprised Hermes does it, tbh. The interchangeable leather belts themselves are fun, and of great quality.

9. lepermessiah

Well obviously Ronaldo can actually afford the belt and then some. I doubt the average citizen has even heard of Hermes anyways. If was an LV on a Louis Vuitton, more people would be able to recognize it as it is far more ubiquitous than Hermes.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  10. sstokol

sstokol Active Member

Yes, he is unquestionably a douche and the H is tacky... and Yet, he gets this:

[​IMG]

So the possibilities are 1) this is due to the compelling power of the "H" or 2) Ronaldo is a football player who makes an f-ing truckload of money and when he took his shirt off after the Champions league win the internet died due to excited chicks.

Given that option 2) is out of the question for me, I for one am going to be buying one of these belts right now [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. hermes man

hermes man Senior member

i love christian ronaldo he got good sense of style

[​IMG]

look at him top to bottom Gucci even his buddy is wearing top to bottom Gucci

now thats what I call Gucci style

more Gucci from Christian Ronaldo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i am sorry for hijacking this thread i think this man deserved his own thread all about Christian Ronaldo and Gucci

1 person likes this.
  12. sstokol

sstokol Active Member

You Sir have made Ronaldo look entirely unattractive. On behalf of regular men everywhere, I thank you. [​IMG]

13. lepermessiah

His nickname should be Gucci Man

14. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

[​IMG]

15. diadem

diadem Senior member

Wait a sec, is that a clutch he's holding in that last pic? Or a man purse? A murse? C'mon, son...

16. lepermessiah

[​IMG]

Lol gucci mane is out done by this guy.