• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hermes belts

IChen

Reaction score
Funny, but true. I have always been the flashiest among all my friends and i wear that douchey belt proudly. To quote from another forum:

It's just a sense of style. I love Hermes belts for the quality of the leather. I remember wanting to buy 1 for the leather before noticing the H, then putting it down actually.

I think a lot of people categorize and say "dumb" people buy in terms of brand -> cost, which is true but there are a lot of "dumb" people who buy the expensive stuff and understand things about quality and how the product would affect their look. Then some people call them douches for not being subtle?

But I guess being subtle wearing items that don't stand out is what makes you classy now? It's not like every guy who buys Hermes belts (even with the ugly H) only bought it because they wanted something from that brand or because it costs a lot to flaunt their wealth....maybe they actually like the look and the product fits their style.

quaker13

Reaction score
these guys can too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegantly Wasted

So can I
confused.gif

Lumaca

Reaction score
I think only one guy can rock a huge letter in the middle of an outfit:

Lesser mortal need not try.

AMG1

Reaction score
I wouldn't get the H buckle belt. The leather used is highest quality and the craftsmanship often as well but the H buckle is just for pretentious idiots.

AMG1

Reaction score
By the way the buckle is not even Sterling Silver and I wouldn't be too sure if it is handstitched.

Dib

Reaction score

I wouldn't get the H buckle belt. The leather used is highest quality and the craftsmanship often as well but the H buckle is just for pretentious idiots.

+1

I would never wear clothes with conspicuous branding on them and the H belts in particular (which seem to be everywhere I look nowadays!) are a perfect example of that. To my mind, wearing clothing with distinctive conspicuous branding often signifies some form of insecurity on behalf of the wearer.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

By the way the buckle is not even Sterling Silver and I wouldn't be too sure if it is handstitched.

I've had a few Hermes buckles come to us to have new straps put on them. They are very tidily made and finished, obviously in a factory rather than by hand though, but seem to be plated and made from a base metal. The silver coloured buckles are I think Palladium plated, I'm not sure about the gold/brass coloured buckles. Ive heard a number of people complain that they age badly.

Charlie

AMG1

Reaction score
I've had a few Hermes buckles come to us to have new straps put on them. They are very tidily made and finished, obviously in a factory rather than by hand though, but seem to be plated and made from a base metal. The silver coloured buckles are I think Palladium plated, I'm not sure about the gold/brass coloured buckles. Ive heard a number of people complain that they age badly.
Charlie
Hey Charlie,

Good to know, haven´t seen them up too close but heard that they age badly as well. If they are palladium - plated the price would be alright although you could expect a belt to have a Sterling Silver buckle at 700 €. Everything else than palladium would be inferior given the price.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of those belts....I use to be in the Gucci,LV,etc belts but to many people have em know.I still have my belts but I don't bother to buy new ones.Plus I think the belts are overpriced. I think the only thing worth the bucks that is Hermes are the ties.

AMG1

Reaction score
Not a fan of those belts....I use to be in the Gucci,LV,etc belts but to many people have em know.I still have my belts but I don't bother to buy new ones.Plus I think the belts are overpriced. I think the only thing worth the bucks that is Hermes are the ties.
How is Gucci or LV better than the massive H buckle. The massive G buckle on Gucci and the incessant reiteration of LV on the Louis Vuitton one´s are as horrible as the Hermès one. The bags are quite nice though.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

..........I wouldn't be too sure if it is handstitched.

As all the straps which go with the lose buckles are reversible (different coloured leather on either side), they cannot be hand-stitched. You need a lock-stitch sewing machine (operating with top and bottom thread) to keep the colours separate on each side of the belt.

ani_lockstitch2.gif

A saddle stitch (executed by hand) uses a single thread which crosses with every stitch from top to bottom and vice versa.

hand-stitch-sketch.jpg

Hermes does offer some (non-reversible) belts (derived from equestrian designs) which are hand-stitched.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

As all the straps which go with the lose buckles are reversible (different coloured leather on either side), they cannot be hand-stitched. You need a lock-stitch sewing machine (operating with top and bottom thread) to keep the colours separate on each side of the belt.
ani_lockstitch2.gif

A saddle stitch (executed by hand) uses a single thread which crosses with every stitch from top to bottom and vice versa.
hand-stitch-sketch.jpg

Hermes does offer some (non-reversible) belts (derived from equestrian designs) which are hand-stitched.

An excellent illustrations of why hand stitched is still best..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads