1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

hermes belts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dandy1, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

I endorse "madeinitaly" opinion. It gives an annoying "parvenu" image. No need to flaunt your wealth, if you're a classy person.

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

The salt water crocodile sport coat is a better option.

3. madeinitaly

madeinitaly Active Member

The real gentleman can cross milan being able to go unnoticed.

Buonasera

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

Can't agree more.

Buonasera a lei! [​IMG]

5. quaker13

quaker13 Senior member

Funny, but true. I have always been the flashiest among all my friends and i wear that douchey belt proudly. To quote from another forum:

while i love your quote in your sig....... your comment is fairly naive.

at what point do you draw the line on "you shouldnt be flashy or look like a billboard" concept?
    are you not allowed to wear a jersey from your favorite team because you look like their billboard?
    would you debadge your R8 you have in your avatar? you wouldnt want people to think you are a billboard for audi right
    well thats not good enough, people still know it is expensive... i guess you should not even own it, because it looks like youre trying to showoff your money.
    you will have to get a honda or something less flashy right?
    oh wait, there are poor people in 3rd world countries that will never own a car, so compared to them, even owning a honda would be way too flashy and showing off....
    where does it end?
    maybe you should just live in a cave with no electricity, and make your own clothes from animal skins that you caught with your bare hands.

and if "wealth whispers" then you might want to mention that to the folks on the forbes list who own planes, yachts, mansions, etc.. maybe you should tell bill gates or paul alen that they "dont look boss" because they buy flashy things that show off their money.

when it comes down to it... whether you want to show your support of a brand you appreciate, or whether you want to just remain completely anonymous as to who you support, the most important point is that you should wear whatever the **** you want, and dont give a shit what other people think... that is about as manly as you can get.

Then mine:

Couldn't agree with this more. I actually think the Hermes belt would be best for jeans or business attire. I think people can get caught up in a false association between subtlety and class. All things subtle don't equate to prestige and refinement and and all things ostentatious or less than subtle don't equal trash. For instance, I like gold. I make no apologies for it and if someone thinks otherwise fvck em. There are people that think the experience of drinking $1500 bottles of red wine is at the apex of refinement. How can this be when there are several double blind randomized control studies that suggest that among even the most sophisticated wine drinkers there was almost no distinction made between good $15 wine and a $1000 wine. The continued practice of buying expensive wine despite knowing the aforementioned information seems particularly garish and ostentatious, but who cares since it is not our money. I say that to say me 'showing off' in a $800 belt doesn't make me any more douchey than someone wearing a non-descript $400 belt under the guise of being on a higher plain of sophistication.

1 person likes this.
  6. quaker13

quaker13 Senior member

7. IChen

IChen Senior member

It's just a sense of style. I love Hermes belts for the quality of the leather. I remember wanting to buy 1 for the leather before noticing the H, then putting it down actually.

I think a lot of people categorize and say "dumb" people buy in terms of brand -> cost, which is true but there are a lot of "dumb" people who buy the expensive stuff and understand things about quality and how the product would affect their look. Then some people call them douches for not being subtle?

But I guess being subtle wearing items that don't stand out is what makes you classy now? It's not like every guy who buys Hermes belts (even with the ugly H) only bought it because they wanted something from that brand or because it costs a lot to flaunt their wealth....maybe they actually like the look and the product fits their style.

8. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

So can I :confused:

9. quaker13

quaker13 Senior member

these guys can too

[​IMG]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elegantly Wasted [​IMG]

So can I [​IMG]

10. Lumaca

Lumaca Active Member

I think only one guy can rock a huge letter in the middle of an outfit:

[​IMG]

Lesser mortal need not try.

11. AMG1

AMG1 Senior member

I wouldn't get the H buckle belt. The leather used is highest quality and the craftsmanship often as well but the H buckle is just for pretentious idiots.

12. AMG1

AMG1 Senior member

By the way the buckle is not even Sterling Silver and I wouldn't be too sure if it is handstitched.

13. Dib

Dib Senior member

+1

I would never wear clothes with conspicuous branding on them and the H belts in particular (which seem to be everywhere I look nowadays!) are a perfect example of that. To my mind, wearing clothing with distinctive conspicuous branding often signifies some form of insecurity on behalf of the wearer.

14. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I've had a few Hermes buckles come to us to have new straps put on them. They are very tidily made and finished, obviously in a factory rather than by hand though, but seem to be plated and made from a base metal. The silver coloured buckles are I think Palladium plated, I'm not sure about the gold/brass coloured buckles. Ive heard a number of people complain that they age badly.

Charlie

15. AMG1

AMG1 Senior member

Hey Charlie,

Good to know, haven´t seen them up too close but heard that they age badly as well. If they are palladium - plated the price would be alright although you could expect a belt to have a Sterling Silver buckle at 700 €. Everything else than palladium would be inferior given the price.

16. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Not a fan of those belts....I use to be in the Gucci,LV,etc belts but to many people have em know.I still have my belts but I don't bother to buy new ones.Plus I think the belts are overpriced. I think the only thing worth the bucks that is Hermes are the ties.

17. AMG1

AMG1 Senior member

How is Gucci or LV better than the massive H buckle. The massive G buckle on Gucci and the incessant reiteration of LV on the Louis Vuitton one´s are as horrible as the Hermès one. The bags are quite nice though.

18. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

As all the straps which go with the lose buckles are reversible (different coloured leather on either side), they cannot be hand-stitched. You need a lock-stitch sewing machine (operating with top and bottom thread) to keep the colours separate on each side of the belt.

[​IMG]

A saddle stitch (executed by hand) uses a single thread which crosses with every stitch from top to bottom and vice versa.

[​IMG]

Hermes does offer some (non-reversible) belts (derived from equestrian designs) which are hand-stitched.

1 person likes this.
  19. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

An excellent illustrations of why hand stitched is still best..

20. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

But can you hand-stitch with a different colour on either side? :D :D :D

To use an equestrian metaphor: "It's horses for courses!"

1 person likes this.