• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Oneflewover

Reaction score
Just here and now. 33°C in Paris today.

Summer, the eternal dilemma. I'm definitely the other three seasons type of person.
coO0Lhk.jpg

Here in double linen, superga and Panama shop panama

Oneflewover

Reaction score
Is that check jacket DAKS ?
No, but I see where you are coming from, the pattern is similar to their standard? It's an Executex, all wool, Made In England. Guess a department store label from the 60s, a vintage shop purchase.

I have no qualms with 2nd hand clothes or shoes.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:lurk:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but I see where you are coming from, the pattern is similar to their standard? It's an Executex, all wool, Made In England. Guess a department store label from the 60s, a vintage shop purchase.

I have no qualms with 2nd hand clothes or shoes.

Yes it is very much like some of the DAKs checks.
tbh I don't usually buy used clothes/shoes but a lot of those jackets have pictures of the linings and they hardly look worn at all.
I guess that a lot of people have gone through the wardrobe over lockdown and are getting rid of what they don't wear ...or doesn't fit any more.

I have bought 3 pairs of Wool trousers from Ebay in the last week,all new with tags they get hung up in an outside cupboard with a mothball,I am in a dry cleaning club and get 4 items cleaned for £20 which is very reasonable here,Saturday morning I will be taking a pile of clothes to the cleaners.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose this one, taken before the lockdown, is more in the "Here and now" posters spirit.

View attachment 1412072
Cordings Shetland Blazer
Comme des garçons shirt
Arnys cashmere vest
Paul Smith belt
Lee Riders Japan
Church's Oreham

Think I mentioned before, I have the same Cordings Shetland blazer but in navy blue. Great clothes, Cordings.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Think I mentioned before, I have the same Cordings Shetland blazer but in navy blue. Great clothes, Cordings.
Yes, the Shetland is really lovely

Cordings shetland.jpg

The tweed blazers are my favorite items at Cordings.
A detail, but on the "fit" picture i posted, i remember now that the Jeans are from Paul Smith (they are more fitted than Lee Riders).

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1593059794612.png
1593059794612.png

This is a picture that I had taken for the Friday Challenge a few weeks ago.
I know that some may consider Blazers old fashioned now but for a lot of occasions I prefer Blazer and trousers to a suit.
In fact unless it is a very formal occasion a suit can look overdressed imo.
The two most important ways of dressing in my life now are casual and smart casual, I really don't like the term smart casual as I think its too subjective.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
View attachment 1412382 View attachment 1412382
This is a picture that I had taken for the Friday Challenge a few weeks ago.
I know that some may consider Blazers old fashioned now but for a lot of occasions I prefer Blazer and trousers to a suit.
In fact unless it is a very formal occasion a suit can look overdressed imo.
The two most important ways of dressing in my life now are casual and smart casual, I really don't like the term smart casual as I think its too subjective.

It is a look you pull off with class, much more than all the posters i've seen on this forum trying it, who for most look like "security guards" or old farts.
I agree about the the term "smart casual", it's like "CM casual", i don't ike it much but at least we all get the meaning...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, how about keeping one’s “look” during the sweltering summer? Linen? Madras? Tech fabrics?

I have acquired a few pair of Outlier trousers— typically a cotton/man-made blend that keep remarkably cool in the summer and some are cut in the semi-trim, mid/high rise way I dig, with moisture wicking capabilities and 4-way stretch(a deal-breaker for many). Many of their shirt offerings are a Merino/synthetic blend that stay fresh for days and have a sort of dry feel. Wore a pair of their charcoal trousers with a blue J Press OCBD and Oxblood penny loafers to Mass yesterday in the 85° heat and humidity. No sticky legs from sit/stand/kneel/repeat and no blown-out knees. I dig ‘em.
Also have various short sleeve buttondowns in Madras, seersucker, and linen. I wear them pretty casually in my city/beach neighborhood, but better than the pajamas/flip flops/sleeveless shirt look most dudes around here sport.
Typically for footwear in summertime, it’s Adidas or Quoddy camping bluchers with no-see-em socks, and various chino cloth shorts.

What are your go-to summertime togs?

Madras BDs,OCBD short sleeves...its too hot for Polos.
I have a short sleeve seersucker BD but the sleeves are far too short...I am watching a long sleeve version on Ebay and if I get I will get the sleeves altered to short sleeve.
Shorts and Boat shoes....or Cotton/linen trousers and Weejuns.
I cant get on with Linen,I just hate that crumpled look,for me its the opposite of the look that I like, Cotton/Linen doesn't seem to get so crumpled.
tbh though around the house its,Cotton singlet,shorts, shower shoes....NOT to be worn outside.

Oneflewover

Reaction score
I cant get on with Linen,I just hate that crumpled look,for me its the opposite of the look that I like
Absolutely, but seems the last few summer breaks (would normally be away this week, birthday) i've had, the weather has been pavement cracking temperatures and had no choice. Especially as some have been combined with city breaks and I refuse shorts in the city.
oxGwTqs.jpg

Just noticed I was schwarzkopfing

tbrock

Reaction score
I tend not to wear shorts but it's unbearable here now for an Englishman. 26° and 64% humidity. No ac in the home office where I am reluctantly permanent now. Only a Dyson. I had thrown out all my tailored shorts it would seem, so only denim left. Tend to wear short linen, light Oxford shirts. White spring courts are my favourite summer trainers. So comfortable and early 60s. Had been looking for the best Steve McQueen tennis shoes/plimsolls from that famous photo and haven't found anything better.

Oh and John Simons madras mask.

IMG-20200625-WA0003.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I tend not to wear shorts but it's unbearable here now for an Englishman. 26° and 64% humidity. No ac in the home office where I am reluctantly permanent now. Only a Dyson. I had thrown out all my tailored shorts it would seem, so only denim left. Tend to wear short linen, light Oxford shirts. White spring courts are my favourite summer trainers. So comfortable and early 60s. Had been looking for the best Steve McQueen tennis shoes/plimsolls from that famous photo and haven't found anything better.

Oh and John Simons madras mask.

View attachment 1412442
Until 3 years ago i was reluctant to wear shorts in the city, but with the temperatures we have the summer in Paris now (35°C today !) there isn't much choice.
I prefer the army "fatigue" variety, without cargo pockets (for example the one i wear on the picture i posted yesterday is a Schott in cotton/Linen, Stan Ray also does nice ones).
i've also the Chinos variety, more Ivyish.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose this one, taken before the lockdown, is more in the "Here and now" posters spirit.

View attachment 1412072
Cordings Shetland Blazer
Comme des garçons shirt
Arnys cashmere vest
Paul Smith belt
Lee Riders Japan
Church's Oreham
Inspector, now I know you!
Be aware, there's a guy who posts pics of himself in bermudas, pretending to be you ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads